ikea mattresses? - Mothering Forums

ikea mattresses?

strmis's Avatar strmis (TS)
02:18 PM Liked: 221
#1 of 10
03-07-2011 | Posts: 834

From what I've heard, ikea's mattresses are "less toxic" because they do not use bromic acid. I have also read that people with chemical sensitivities can tell that there are chemicals in the mattresses, however, I do not have the budget to purchase anything organic and completely non toxic. 

Anyone have any experience with ikea? WE have one now and I think its just fine, but I'd like to hear what other's experiences are.

sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09
02:47 PM Liked: 157
#2 of 10
03-07-2011 | Posts: 3,400

We have a king size all natural latex mattress and we love it. They said the fire retardent they used was organic...it's the law to have it in this country.

Vancouver Mommy's Avatar Vancouver Mommy
03:17 PM Liked: 47
#3 of 10
03-07-2011 | Posts: 1,618

We just went through a similar process. I researched and priced out all the options and came to the conclusion that I couldn't afford what I wanted (100% natural latex with and organic lambswool cover). I settled on the Ikea sultan latex mattress as it is considerably less toxic. It uses Boric Acid (not bromic). I'm happy with our decision.

Thing1Thing2's Avatar Thing1Thing2
10:48 AM Liked: 28
#4 of 10
03-10-2011 | Posts: 1,335

I have chemical sensitivities and I definitely noticed a reaction to the Ikea crib mattress. I aired it out for a few months (yes, I'm that bad lol) and then put one of those plastic waterproof mattress covers oever it and now I'm fine.

There are inexpensive organic mattress covers online (somewhere) that protect from chemicals coming out of the mattress while you or baby are sleeping on it. I'll see if I can find the link.

11:54 AM Liked: 221
#5 of 10
03-10-2011 | Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
There are inexpensive organic mattress covers online (somewhere) that protect from chemicals coming out of the mattress while you or baby are sleeping on it. I'll see if I can find the link.

Yes, this would be wonderful! Thanks. I also found this:

http://www.offgassing-mattress-wraps.com/mattress-wraps.htm?tp=CONTINUE+SHOPPING

and am thinking of purchasing one for DDs memory foam bed.  Is this basically what you used?

artekah's Avatar artekah
10:29 PM Liked: 222
#6 of 10
03-10-2011 | Posts: 1,120
Cheaper than the Ikea Sultan and *actually* non-toxic: http://www.foambymail.com/mattresses.html

We got the talalay latex mattress (medium firmness) with the 2" latex topper (soft.) It's worth the $20 for the terry cloth cover.

You assemble the parts yourself which is a slight hassle but really, it's super-easy. Just stack the topper on the mattress and zip them together into the cover. We loved the one we got for my DS so much we got a king-size as well for ourselves! So comfy! And *nothing* toxic, no off-gassing or wrapping of any kind required!

For not much money you can also put a lanolized wool blanket under the sheet to make it pee-proof for a little one!

ETA: Oops, OP, I missed that you already have an Ikea mattress now and are happy with it, sorry! For anyone shopping for a non-toxic mattress though, my recommendation stands!
crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy
08:05 AM Liked: 562
#7 of 10
03-11-2011 | Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

I'd love if you could post the link!! We could not even remotely afford a 'safe' mattress and had to pick the cheapest one... I've been looking for a cover for 6mos and have yet to find one that's both safe AND affordable...

Oh strmis -- I looked into the wraps but I read a bunch of reviews stating that it is literally like sleeping on plastic, not very comfy and quite noisy. My DS is a super light sleeper and there are 3 of us in the bed so it didn't seem like a viable option at all... just something to think about if you are considering going that route!!
07:19 PM Liked: 221
#8 of 10
03-11-2011 | Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Oh strmis -- I looked into the wraps but I read a bunch of reviews stating that it is literally like sleeping on plastic, not very comfy and quite noisy. My DS is a super light sleeper and there are 3 of us in the bed so it didn't seem like a viable option at all... just something to think about if you are considering going that route!!

AH... good to know! thanks so much for letting me know! hmmm... now I'm debating if I should get it or not. we'll see. for $30 it might be worth it just to try it out

crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy
07:22 PM Liked: 562
#9 of 10
03-11-2011 | Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmis View Post

AH... good to know! thanks so much for letting me know! hmmm... now I'm debating if I should get it or not. we'll see. for $30 it might be worth it just to try it out

Let me know how it goes if you do try it!!
APToddlerMama's Avatar APToddlerMama
07:34 PM Liked: 805
#10 of 10
03-11-2011 | Posts: 2,130

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I did a ton of research a few months ago, and several people told me that foambymail is *not* a reputable company and that their latex is not all natural.  The latex bed manufacturers are really tricky in what they write and it is hard to get decent safe latex.  The synthetic kind will off gas and has VOCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

Cheaper than the Ikea Sultan and *actually* non-toxic: http://www.foambymail.com/mattresses.html

We got the talalay latex mattress (medium firmness) with the 2" latex topper (soft.) It's worth the $20 for the terry cloth cover.

You assemble the parts yourself which is a slight hassle but really, it's super-easy. Just stack the topper on the mattress and zip them together into the cover. We loved the one we got for my DS so much we got a king-size as well for ourselves! So comfy! And *nothing* toxic, no off-gassing or wrapping of any kind required!

For not much money you can also put a lanolized wool blanket under the sheet to make it pee-proof for a little one!

ETA: Oops, OP, I missed that you already have an Ikea mattress now and are happy with it, sorry! For anyone shopping for a non-toxic mattress though, my recommendation stands!

Reply Subscribe Life with a Toddler