ikea mattresses? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
strmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

From what I've heard, ikea's mattresses are "less toxic" because they do not use bromic acid. I have also read that people with chemical sensitivities can tell that there are chemicals in the mattresses, however, I do not have the budget to purchase anything organic and completely non toxic. 

Anyone have any experience with ikea? WE have one now and I think its just fine, but I'd like to hear what other's experiences are.


h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

strmis is offline  
#2 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 01:47 PM
 
sosurreal09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a king size all natural latex mattress and we love it. They said the fire retardent they used was organic...it's the law to have it in this country.


 Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

sosurreal09 is offline  
#3 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Vancouver Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just went through a similar process. I researched and priced out all the options and came to the conclusion that I couldn't afford what I wanted (100% natural latex with and organic lambswool cover). I settled on the Ikea sultan latex mattress as it is considerably less toxic. It uses Boric Acid (not bromic). I'm happy with our decision.

sosurreal09 likes this.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Vancouver Mommy is offline  
#4 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Thing1Thing2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have chemical sensitivities and I definitely noticed a reaction to the Ikea crib mattress. I aired it out for a few months (yes, I'm that bad lol) and then put one of those plastic waterproof mattress covers oever it and now I'm fine.

 

There are inexpensive organic mattress covers online (somewhere) that protect from chemicals coming out of the mattress while you or baby are sleeping on it. I'll see if I can find the link.


familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

Thing1Thing2 is offline  
#5 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
strmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
There are inexpensive organic mattress covers online (somewhere) that protect from chemicals coming out of the mattress while you or baby are sleeping on it. I'll see if I can find the link.


Yes, this would be wonderful! Thanks. I also found this:

http://www.offgassing-mattress-wraps.com/mattress-wraps.htm?tp=CONTINUE+SHOPPING


and am thinking of purchasing one for DDs memory foam bed.  Is this basically what you used?

 


h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

strmis is offline  
#6 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 PM
 
artekah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheaper than the Ikea Sultan and *actually* non-toxic: http://www.foambymail.com/mattresses.html

We got the talalay latex mattress (medium firmness) with the 2" latex topper (soft.) It's worth the $20 for the terry cloth cover.

You assemble the parts yourself which is a slight hassle but really, it's super-easy. Just stack the topper on the mattress and zip them together into the cover. We loved the one we got for my DS so much we got a king-size as well for ourselves! So comfy! And *nothing* toxic, no off-gassing or wrapping of any kind required!

For not much money you can also put a lanolized wool blanket under the sheet to make it pee-proof for a little one!

ETA: Oops, OP, I missed that you already have an Ikea mattress now and are happy with it, sorry! For anyone shopping for a non-toxic mattress though, my recommendation stands!
artekah is offline  
#7 of 10 Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 AM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

There are inexpensive organic mattress covers online (somewhere) that protect from chemicals coming out of the mattress while you or baby are sleeping on it. I'll see if I can find the link.


I'd love if you could post the link!! We could not even remotely afford a 'safe' mattress and had to pick the cheapest one... I've been looking for a cover for 6mos and have yet to find one that's both safe AND affordable...

Oh strmis -- I looked into the wraps but I read a bunch of reviews stating that it is literally like sleeping on plastic, not very comfy and quite noisy. My DS is a super light sleeper and there are 3 of us in the bed so it didn't seem like a viable option at all... just something to think about if you are considering going that route!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#8 of 10 Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
strmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Oh strmis -- I looked into the wraps but I read a bunch of reviews stating that it is literally like sleeping on plastic, not very comfy and quite noisy. My DS is a super light sleeper and there are 3 of us in the bed so it didn't seem like a viable option at all... just something to think about if you are considering going that route!!


AH... good to know! thanks so much for letting me know! hmmm... now I'm debating if I should get it or not. we'll see. for $30 it might be worth it just to try it out


h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

strmis is offline  
#9 of 10 Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 PM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmis View Post





AH... good to know! thanks so much for letting me know! hmmm... now I'm debating if I should get it or not. we'll see. for $30 it might be worth it just to try it out


Let me know how it goes if you do try it!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#10 of 10 Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 PM
 
APToddlerMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)



I don't want to burst your bubble, but I did a ton of research a few months ago, and several people told me that foambymail is *not* a reputable company and that their latex is not all natural.  The latex bed manufacturers are really tricky in what they write and it is hard to get decent safe latex.  The synthetic kind will off gas and has VOCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

Cheaper than the Ikea Sultan and *actually* non-toxic: http://www.foambymail.com/mattresses.html

We got the talalay latex mattress (medium firmness) with the 2" latex topper (soft.) It's worth the $20 for the terry cloth cover.

You assemble the parts yourself which is a slight hassle but really, it's super-easy. Just stack the topper on the mattress and zip them together into the cover. We loved the one we got for my DS so much we got a king-size as well for ourselves! So comfy! And *nothing* toxic, no off-gassing or wrapping of any kind required!

For not much money you can also put a lanolized wool blanket under the sheet to make it pee-proof for a little one!

ETA: Oops, OP, I missed that you already have an Ikea mattress now and are happy with it, sorry! For anyone shopping for a non-toxic mattress though, my recommendation stands!


 

APToddlerMama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off