Leaving 17 month old with Dad for the weekend; need advise! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am throwing a girls weekend for my girlfriend who is getting married and will be away for two nights at a hotsprings resort 3 1/2 hours away from home. I think it is a good time for me to be away from my DS and DH for the first time and I am feeling excited and also pretty nervous about the whole thing.

Excited about sleeping through the night for the first time in a year a half and nervous because my husband is worried about getting through two nights without me.

DS just started sleeping in his own bed all night and we are still working out the kinks but getting him to sleep seems to be going pretty good and its getting easier to keep him asleep. He comes into our bed now only after 5 or later in the morning. He still nurses when we are together and days when he goes to daycare or when he's with his Dad while I work he just drinks water, coconut water and eats meals and snacks. Then nurses at night and mornings.

Please share your experience of when you first left for a few nights and tricks your DH or partner did to keep nursing toddler happy. Any advise or things you would have done differently? We have a month till the trip to prepare.

Self employed 37 year old lady.gifMother of one 4 year old super herosuperhero.gifand wife to a lovely DH malesling.GIF who is my hero. Its been a long run but I am pregnant with #21sttri.gif due 10/10/14. goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.gifHere we go again....
#2 of 4 Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 AM

For me, it was an emergency.  I ended up having emergency surgery.  My huge concern was my milk supply drying up which, thankfully, didn't happen.  Having a supply of frozen breastmilk in the freezer and my computer with me to video-chat helped.

Have milk in the freezer, and take your pump with you when you go.  From there, just let the boys wing it.  It'll be tougher for your husband than for you or the little man!  Little Man will be fine.  Big Man will be tired.  You'll get some rest and relaxation.  

My daughter is 15 months old too, and boy, I'd love to have a weekend at a hotsprings resort like you!  Calistoga?

#3 of 4 Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Congrats on your trip - that sounds like fun.   I've gone on several trips and my DH has done just fine.   As long as your DH has been involved in all aspects of your DS routine, I'm sure he will do just fine too.

I did buy a special fun toy for DS and gave it to him right before I left on my trip.   He was so excited to play with his toy and it took his mind off of me not being there.

#4 of 4 Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
 Little Man will be fine.  Big Man will be tired.

ROTFLMAO.gif  Truer words were never spoken!!  I went away for the night when DS was about 10 months.  There was milk in the freezer for him and DH had a a good time.  They showered together, cuddled in the chair before bed and had junk for breakfast together (DH said something about how he knows DS likes frosting now duh.gif) the next morning.  It was good for them to hang just father and son and it was good for me to get out for a night (and sleep all night too!!)  I think the "new" stuff (shower, etc) kept DS happy.  I wasn't there, so he couldn't nurse.  It just seemed to work.  Have a blast!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page