Ideas to keep 2-year old busy during car trip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

We are driving to Disneyland next month.  We will be in the car about 8 hours.  My daughter will 28 months old.  We have a DVD player in the car, which she watches everytime we drive somewhere.  So we will buy a couple of new movies for her, but I am wondering what else I can bring to keep her busy.  Stickers, books, snacks?  I was thinking of getting one of those little trays that goes across her lap so she can color.  Does anyone have one that their 2-year old likes?  I don't know if she would like this.  Does anyone have any specific things that have kept their toddler happy in the car?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Whenever I do longer trips with ds I make an effort to stop every 2-2.5 hours for at least an hour. If I can manage it I make those stops somewhere he can play (those indoor McDonald's playlands are a lifesaver in bad weather). We keep snacks in the car along with a selection of toys & books. I save the dvd player until halfway through the trip generally - but ours is only used for long trips so he doesn't ask for it right away. I also try to time it so that at least a chunk of the trip is during his naptime (or bedtime) so he'll sleep a chunk.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 4 Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM

definitely snacks and drinks.  Magna doodles are awesome because the pencil thing is attached.  Felt boards where they can put animals and trees etc.  We also play the name the animal game where we say, doggy says woof woof! etc go thru as many animals as you can.  Favorite cd - love philidelphia chickens and a couple of other bands where we clap along with the beat etc.  We also take breaks to run in.  Stretch our legs etc.  Also, little boxes with hidden treasures in there.  Like a metal lunch box with little figurines of whatever your kiddo likes.  Let your imagination run wild!  Oh, also coloring definitely.  Even though your car door may become colorful by the end of the trip - happy kid = happy traveling! :)

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#4 of 4 Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Great ideas already!!

I have one to add...

Not sure where you can buy them exactly, but a family member bought our 2.5YO DD an "Aqua Doodle".  It is the best car toy!!  And it makes a great church toy too!!  DD loves it, plays with it for quite some time, no mess, and quiet.  I'm sure you could probably find on Amazon if not in any local stores.

Like this...

http://www.amazon.com/AquaDoodle-20027353_1-Aquadoodle-Travel-Doodle/dp/B003AJ9LZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299705386&sr=8-1

Girlfriend and Wife to DH, Attached Momma to DD 2/23/08, and to DD 6/9/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page