Recommend Toys for 1 Year Old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son will be one in a few weeks.  He hasn't been interested in the toys he has for about a month now.  To my complete delight he is very into books right now, but we have plenty. 

My mother is asking what she can give him for his birthday and I am thinking about giving him a gift, too.  I might buy an amber teething necklace, but if I decide to get a toy, too what would you recommend?

He has a few Haba characters - the frog, fish and duck, a pull-toy which he has yet to use b/c he doesn't walk, a classical music playing cube, rainbow bead shakers, Eebee doll, little Elegant Baby animals and vehicles, wooden cars.

I saw mentions of "play silks" in an old thread here and in a catalog.  What do you think of those for a one year old?

Should he have some wooden fruit or bowls or something?

Summer is coming so we spend our days at the harbor and in the park where he won't be using toys.

I want him to learn to do some playing on his own.  What do you recommend for at home?

Thank you!!!

familybed1.gif SAHM, mother to Hunter a happy, sensitive, determined boy born March 28 2010,bftoddler.gif, IVF miracle family, selectivevax.gif, Fibrowarrior, slingboy.gif, goorganic.jpg
#2 of 8 Old 03-12-2011, 05:21 AM

Balls! Any kind, multiple sizes/colors.

Bath toys! I don't know how anti-plastic you are (we are loosely anti-plastic, lol) but we have a set of fun little sea creatures that fill up with water and you can squeeze them to squirt the water out of a tiny blowhole. Huge hit!

Bowls and spoons are great but you can just take those from the kitchen (if you have a metal or wood bowl and a wood spoon.) You could also get him some toy pots and pans and cooking utensils that are more his size...

Not really a toy, but: big pieces of paper and washable crayons! He may not be ready right now but if not he will be very soon. I swear my 17-month DS can draw happily for an hour straight! He started I think around 14 mos.
#3 of 8 Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 AM

Oh also, wooden blocks and oversize legos are both fun! Build towers and knock them down! You didn't mention if you have anything like that.
#4 of 8 Old 03-12-2011, 05:46 AM

What about a little broom or some little pots and pans?  My son started getting into copying mama around a year old, he just loves to sweep when I sweep, and pretend to cook when I am making dinner!

Alissa: married to dh since 05/2006 and mama to Solomon (08/2009) and Ezra (04/2012).

#5 of 8 Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 AM

I got my one year old a set of wooden salad bowls and he thinks they are the greatest thing!  He loves to stack and un-stack them.  He'll do it totally on his own for 20 minutes or more.  I think he likes the sound they make.  Not really a toy, but I got him a re-usable grocery sack after he kept playing with mine.  He likes to fill it up and carry his junk around.  My little guy is also very into fabric.  He likes the kitchen towel drawer, so I would think some scarves would be a very appropriate toy. 

Also, what about musical instruments?  xylophone, shakers, etc are very popular in our house.

#6 of 8 Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Dd2 just turned one and we got her and Dd1 some bath toys, since they can take a bath together now. We're not into plastic toys but these seem good as they're phthalate, bpa, and pvc free. We also got them 4 Boon duckys. I like that the squirters come apart so they can dry completely and not turn into a moldly icky mess that would just end up getting tossed. We also got her the Haba rolling turtles. Grandma got her a water table, not that it is anywhere near warm enough for that here yet.

What about a swim class or mommy and me class?

LoveBabee likes this.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#7 of 8 Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Fantastic suggestions, thank you everybody! I will post an update when I chose his present or a few small ones. smile.gif

familybed1.gif SAHM, mother to Hunter a happy, sensitive, determined boy born March 28 2010,bftoddler.gif, IVF miracle family, selectivevax.gif, Fibrowarrior, slingboy.gif, goorganic.jpg
#8 of 8 Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 AM

Sorry-a little late here...but wanted to mention a few things that have been BIG for us-DD2 turned 1 last month...

This bath toy has been a HUGE hit in our house with both DDs-we also have the faucet toy by the same company.  They love them!

http://www.amazon.com/Yookidoo-Stack-Stream-Tub-Fountain/dp/B001QCIG16

Anything for their shared play kitchen...DD2 adores the Green Toys Tea Set & the little spoons that come with it.  She also loves all the wooden play food.  It sits in a wood bowl with the kitchen set & she spends her days taking them out, putting them back in, throwing them, retrieving them...

This B Toys thingy (formerly Parents toys-Target item)...a gift for Christmas from a friend & still being played with daily...

http://justb-byou.com/toys/curious/whacky-ball/

I am shocked to say this might be her favorite-for months now...

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Laugh-Learning-Letters-Mailbox/dp/B001IEWX2A

DD1 has the M&D Wooden Mailbox & they play side by side, switch back & forth, mix & match...they both love these mailboxes...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page