Potty Training and Clueless - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!

I have what feels like a strange problem.

My 20 month old is obsessed with the bathroom and toilet. She loves to be in there. She loves to sit on the toilet, flush the toilet, play with the toilet paper. She's in daycare, and there are a few older girls potty training. Since they started, she wants to be in the bathroom constantly! She also started taking off her diapers and runs to the bathroom. She'll say "potty" and then there will be a wet diaper (when we can wrestle one on her).

I figured those were signs that she was ready to start to learn how to use the toilet. Now I don't know what to do! I read the book Potty Training Bootcamp, and I didn't agree with much of it. I made her some cloth training pants (sewed up some underwear with a little extra padding), and she doesn't want to wear those. She doesn't want her cloth or a disposable diaper. She doesn't want Pull-ups. She wants to run around without bottoms!

Which isn't a huge deal. I mean, we own a bottle of carpet cleaner. Thing is, she doesn't care when she has accidents. She has peed on the floor twice already today - the first time it was on the linoleum, and she fell. :( The second time was on the carpet, and she just sort of looked at it and continued to play. Both times I told her she needs to go to the potty when she feels like she needs to pee.

I've been putting her on the toilet at regular intervals with no success.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I wait? Do I try to just stick her in underwear and hope she starts to get it? Argh!

#2 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Dd was similar and we used this, modified for our needs since dd loved being naked. It worked great. I also didn't buy the ebook, but just looked all over the internet for reviews and gleaned enough info from that to make it work. GL!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#3 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Has she ever peed on the toilet?  If not, sounds like my DS.  Likes the potty (not as much as your daughter!) but has no idea what it's for.  When not in diaper he will just pee and act like nothing happened.  

If that's the case, I think she is just playing at going to the potty.  She does not get it.  So probably not ready for training.  

But take this with grain of salt - I have never actually potty trained anyone

#4 of 4 Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

She's peed in the potty before, and she got very excited. I gave her a sticker, which added to the excitement. So I think she knows what to do - it's getting the bladder control thing down.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page