Leaving 17 mo alone to sleep - not crying - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think i need a little perspective from some of you ladies on the outside! My son is 17 months old and has always nursed to sleep. For the last few days he has nursed until almost asleep then woken himself up and just started climbing on me, talking, and just being silly.

My son is also a biter, he seems to think it is funny to bite me. When we are awake and he bites me i simply get up and walk away for a few minutes (go do the dishes or something else). When i am trying to put him to sleep he also likes to bite me, this is a hard one to handle. so lately nap time has been an 1 1/2 to 2 hour struggle. And he is tired....almost falls asleep a few times...and very upset if we do get back up to play.

Anyway...today after trying to put him to sleep for over an hour I finally got very frustrated when he was just climbing on top of my and biting me. I left the room for a minute and just listened at the door, he didn't cry, didn't fuss, just laid in bed rolling around for awhile. After about 10 minutes i went back in and he was laying relaxed in bed. So where do i go from here? Should I try leaving him in there to fall asleep? I want to do the right thing and i feel like maybe my presence is distracting him. Does something change around this age? All input would be great!

Postpartum Doula mama to Tristan born 10/09
#2 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM

DD started not being able to fall asleep with me in the room when she was about 14 or 15 months. leaving him isn't upsetting him, it's not doing any harm. and it's keeping you from hours of frustration. go for it. just listen in case he does get upset. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 PM

If he's not upset by you leaving, and just entertaining himself until he falls asleep, it's probably a sign that he doesn't need you there and possibly does better without you there.

Despite common belief (on this board anyway) some younger children and babies do better without nursing to sleep or having anyone in the room with them.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#4 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If he isn't upset then I think it is fine to leave. Perhpas read No Cry Sleep in your spare time. Maybe he is ready for a transition.

#5 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM

I'd nurse until he pops off and then leave.  See how it goes.

#6 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your replies. I guess i just felt guilty over leaving him alone but if he's happy there isn't any harm. If i were to leave before he had a chance to nurse then i'm sure he would definitely protest so i will probably nurse him for awhile and if he doesn't fall asleep easily then i will try to slip out (going back in if he becomes upset). Feels so weird when they stop needing you every second of the day ;)

Postpartum Doula mama to Tristan born 10/09
#7 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 PM

This is funny because my DD just turned 17 months, and not more than 3 days ago she started lying in bed after nursing and talking, giggling to herself, then sitting up, climbing on me, lying back down (when I told her to), etc etc. I couldn't help but laugh. The difference here is that I know if I were to get up and leave she'd scream and cry for me to come back. She doesn't bite me or anything though, and she's pretty good about getting to sleep so I don't feel the need to leave. In your case, however, it sounds like a transition to be celebrated! You DS is able to put himself to sleep without needing you in the room. I have actually wished that our DD would do this sometimes. I definitely understand that "weird" feeling of not being needed for certain things though. It's definitely bittersweet!

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page