Potty Training for 14 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 14 months and he has started hiding when he has to poop. He's been walking since he was 9 months so he gets around really well. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on potty training this young? I'm going to get him a little potty and see how he reacts to it. I've been searching the internet and I keep finding all these articles saying 18 month+ is the time to start but then there are also a TON of people talking about how hard it is for their child. Maybe the earlier we start the better? Hopefully. Anyway, thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 PM

I think at 14 months it will probably be more of elimination communication than actual potty training. So you might want to look into that. Good luck!

#3 of 6 Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DD is 19 almost 20 weeks and we are transitioning to training pants with a cover this week.

Potty learning at this age is actually just old fashioned traditional potty learning. Get a potty. Sit baby on potty at likely time especially when they first wake up, before or after meals, before nap etc. The Bjorn little potty physically fits them best when they are little. Transition early to training pants and cloth diapers both help.  They figure it out pretty fast. Diaper Free Before Three is a really great guide if you want one. We wait a bit longer because I find an interest in books to be a nice distraction.

#4 of 6 Old 03-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think it was about 15 months that I started putting ds on the potty in the morning & after nap. He was starting to be dry through naps so it seemed like a natural transition. We did that for quite some time (which was nice 'cause he could sleep naked for naps then) & then did a more deliberate pling at 21 months when we left the diapers behind for good.

I always just used a toilet seat reducer on our regular toilet. Our house is not big & we have dogs & having something else to clean just didn't appeal to me. I found that the cheapest plastic seat I could find worked the best.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

We started elimination communication at 14 months, and it worked beautifully.  By 18 months he was out of diapers during the day at home and out of diapers for outings at 21 months.  By 2, we were able to put all the diapers away completely.  I wasn't in a big hurry to get him potty learned quickly.  I was mostly looking for an instinctual method that would be low stress for him and for me and DH.  This was perfect for us.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#6 of 6 Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 PM

We bought a potty around 13 months. Started placig her on it everytime she woke up, after nursing and before and after meals. Within a few days she was peeing on it 2-5 times a day and an occasional poop. By 16 months using it on her own. She is now 19 months out of diapers with few accidents, mainly when we are out I can not get her to a potty fast enough when she says she has to go. I made training pants out of PUL to help contain the accidents but make sure she can feel she is wet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page