Weird sounding cough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas,

My 2 yo got her brother's cold a couple days ago, but she had a 102.5 fever and it went to her chest.  He never had those things, so now I'm wondering if it's the same thing.

Anyway, when she cries and takes a breath in, it sounds like a hoarse dog bark (sort of) and her cough sounds bizarre, like choking, The few times she did it freaked me out, but she's not coughing very much at all.  Her voice is also hoarse in some tones.

Anyway, I have a newborn and if this is whooping cough, I'd sure like to know sooner than later.  If it is, can it be treated before it gets really bad?

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#2 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM

sounds like RSV.. my boys had that about a month ago.. their case was really mild tho so we didn't have to do anything, but some kids/babies have to be hospitalized or given nebulizer treatments. in older children it is typically just a mild cold

i would def take her to the doctor and have her tested for RSV

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#3 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mama!  I'll get her tested.  Did you boys have wheezing?  She doesn't have any, which throws me off.

#4 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 AM

I would take her to the dr asap. Could be RSV, pneumonia, croup, etc. I am not an MD but I think the breathing in you are describing could be stridor. Any child with these signs needs to be seen and with a newborn in the home the need is more urgent, imo.

#5 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM

no they did not have any wheezing, just congestion and slight cough, which is why i didn't even think they had RSV.. i only took them to the doc because they had fevers for several days and my DH had just gotten over pneumonia and I had just gotten over the flu (at the same time.. it was a rough couple weeks) and I was worried they may have ear infections (which they did in addition to the rsv)

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#6 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Another vote for getting to the doctor ASAP. My sixteen-month-old is just getting over croup, it's been a hellish week. The hallmark of croup is a barky cough, almost sounds like a seal. See if any of this sounds familiar. My DS had pretty bad stridor and indrawing and had to be treated medically.
#7 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas.  She has croup.  Thankfully, it's mild so far.  Now, here's hoping my newborn doesn't get it.

#8 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Croup sucks!  Hope your LO feels better soon.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page