Random vomiting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I dont know if this is the correct place for this thread, but I wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with this...

Over the past month, we have had to take fruit and any fruit juices away from DD due to it giving her diarrhea and for about a week--throwing up any time she had raw fruit. Normally the throwing up would only happen at night... she has only thrown up once during the day, about 2 hours after having an orange.

We have had good luck so far with the taking away of the fruit. For the past 2ish weeks, no diarrhea and no vomiting! Then tonight, I went to check on her as I was going to bed and she had thrown up in her bed. I can't even think of anything that she might have eaten to make her sick, except for an IceDream cup from ChickFilA (she is lactose intolerant) and they supposedly don't contain dairy... plus, she only had about 5 bites.

Has anyone else ever experienced random vomiting in their toddler? Should I be worried? She seemed fine while I let her lay with her Daddy while I changed her sheets... no fever, not crying, nothing.

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes!  I have had the wierd random vomiting with DS just turned 2, for the about 3 weeks.  Some diarrhea too.  I thought it was either dairy, or a combination of dairy and car sickness.  He threw up twice in the care - (ugh!!! is that ever aweful to clean).  I don't know that I have any advice for you.  I switched him to soy milk and now limit cheese and yogurt to a little bit a day.  No more vomiting or diarrhea, but i can't say conclusively that dairy was the cause.  Maybe it was a long lasting flu?  Or a minor dairy allergy combined with an intestinal flora imbalance.  I'm also adding some probiotics and will try milk again in a month or so and see how he does.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#3 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM

DS vomits occasionally without any other signs of illness. Sometimes it's carsick (seems to depend on what he ate before getting in the car & the time of day and how sunny it is -- weird, I know!) and he is still nursing so if I get over-supply suddenly (happens sometimes if I consume gluten or DS nurses too much for a day or two) then he throws up because of that... He spit up MASSIVE amounts until he was 9mos old or so, so I guess I just assume he has a weak/immature stomach or something (he also didn't eat much in the way of solids until recently - he's 2yo).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM

DD almost always throws up if she goes to sleep to soon after eating. I assume the pyloric sphincter (the door between stomach and esophagus) can't stay closed with the pressure of all that food on it when she lies down so it comes right back up especially if she has been nursing. She also throws up if she runs around right after eating or was having too much fun before bed. It tends to go in spurts for us, we will have a few months vomit free and then a week of throwing up at bed every night. She isn't in pain at all and had no reflux as an infant. We always go to sleep with a bucket by her bed just in case but it tends to be infrequent if I am vigilant about staying calm after dinner and keeping her up no matter how exhausted for at least 30 minutes after her last bite.

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#5 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

I never thought of that..... she has never been a puker, but would occasionally spit up after nursing as an infant if she was jiggled too much. She threw up again over the weekend... so i made an appointment with an allergist to rule out anything that I haven't thought of. Hoping to figure this out!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#6 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM
tzs

we had some random vomiting after a short stomach thing a while ago. after the legit vomiting was over, she'd still puke a couple times a day but wasn't sick. finally after a week i called the ped who said it's very common after having a virus with vomiting for the esophogial muscles to be slightly "damaged" and stay relaxed which would cause residual reflux vomiting. she prescribed zantac or prevacid or one of those but by the time i filled it we were done with it. i think that might be a likely cause especially since in your case it was happening after eating acidic fruits? so maybe reflux?

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#7 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Could be.... I am giving up on figuring out what it is. No throwing up or diarrhea today...so we are good so far!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page