for those who avoid licensed characters, how do you rank Dora? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We despise Dora.  I feel she teaches nothing but to throw some odd things in a pack and run off with your friends and talk to strangers.  When we do tv we like Ni Hao, Kai Lan.  It teaches a good messages, Yeye (grandpa) is ALWAYS involved and everything they do is in her backyard pretty much.  Overall, it's the only children's show I approve of really.

#62 of 63 Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM

We don't watch Dora either.  My kids only watch very select videos.  Amazon has instant play for prime members now, and they have lots and lots of episodes of Mr. Rogers.  I really like him...very slow, very interesting, very real. 

I feel like Dora is so dumbed down and fake.  I feel my children's time is more valuable than that.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#63 of 63 Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 PM

We avoid all character toys and rank Dora right up there with the worst because the licensing is so in your face.  My daughter has never watched the show - but when we let her pick wrapping paper for her 2nd birthday she chose a bag with Dora on it because it had "a little girl and a monkey" on it. She named the girl and we had the bag about a month and that was that.  We try to just go with the flow and not attach a positive or negative to anything.

When picking TV shows for our family (our DD is 28 months) we try to use shows that have real people, children, and puppets.  We feel that animation is confusing at her age and doesn't represent life very well.  We watch (very seldomly) Sesame Street, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Barney.  At other people's houses she has been exposed to movies (Pooh and a few Disney Films) and has been either scared or uninterested.  We hope to keep it that way for a while more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page