Potty training questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'd think I've never done this before.....wait-I really haven't!! With DS we were all too tired and overwhelmed with 2 high needs kids to even try potty training, so he was in diapers until HE decided he wanted underpants, and then it took like...oh, no time. Very few accidents. And he was night-time trianed 3 weeks after that. This was when he was 3y 3m.

Now DD is just shy of 27 months and over the weekend started wanting underpants. She has randomly gone on the potty in the past, but never really had an interest. She seems to now. BUT since she is a year younger she is not as "ready" as DS was.

Honestly, I'm pretty fond of the "method" we used with DS. BUT I don't want to stifle her interest. So....how long do we try the whole traditional potty training method before deciding she's truly not ready? She'll go on the potty if she has to go and we put her on it, but can't pull her pants down herself (her brother has been a big help with this!!) and so far (4-5 days in) has not been able to tell me she has to pee. She does better with poop-has told me before she has to go.

Is 2 weeks enough time to assess progress? Longer? Before that? I will add that I am 24 weeks pregnant and, on top of being tired, I'm worried about a regression once the new baby gets here-one of the things that led us to wait with DS.

Ahhh....it was so EASY with DS-and I take absolutely no credit other than following "the lazy mama's" potty training method, LOL. I would ahve been perfectly OK with DD doing the same thing, even if it meant I have 2 in diapers again.

Thanks for any advice!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM

I don't think going all by herself means she is ready. My DD who is 2, goes sometimes, but still has accidents. She can't pull her pants down or get up on the potty by herself. She does fine some days with telling me, but sometimes she doesn't A lot of the time she wears pull-ups, so if she is having a good day she goes, but if she has accidents it's not as bad. I don't really push it, I just let let tell me.I'm sure she will get it eventually.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#3 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking....how to figure out if she's REALLY ready to proceed with it, or just having a temporary interest. I'm a HUGE believer in "she'll do it when she's ready". BUT-if she IS ready, I don't want to stifle that, KWIM? She can get on and off her little potty by herself-just can't do the pants. I don't expect her to get up and down from the big potty by herself yet-my DS needed some help at 1st and he was a year older. And DD is a tiny thing, which makes it a little harder.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page