unconventional lovey? - Mothering Forums
Life with a Toddler > unconventional lovey?
maptome's Avatar maptome 08:13 AM 03-28-2011

Do/did any of your kids have a weird/funny/unconventional lovey?   I keep trying to get my DD attached to a blanket, stuffed animal, or article of my clothing, but she is only attached to me and my boob.  Need some help thinking outside the box.

~Charlie's~Angel~'s Avatar ~Charlie's~Angel~ 08:20 AM 03-28-2011

At the moment, my two year old's lovey is my husbands disconnected cell phone.  There us a picture of me and him on the wallpaper, sooooooo.  Ya. 

ETA I guess I never associated loveys with being a replacement for me.  My 3 year old will curl up ontop of me on the couch with his favorite blankey and "special binkey".  lol  I always had a blankey as a child, and my mother was HUGE on attachment parenting, even though she didnt know there was an actualy term for it.  I guess I wouldnt consider it a replacement, but more as an extension or association. 

Juvysen's Avatar Juvysen 08:29 AM 03-28-2011

My friend says "I guess we can't complain when, after practicing 'attachment parenting', our kids are... well... attached to us"... I guess that's where I'm at with my kids.  None of them really had a lovey until they were older (though DD loooooved her binky, so you could call that a lovey, I guess)... and even then, it's not a desperate attachment.  Not saying that kids with loveys aren't attached to their parents, just saying some won't bother with an attachment to a lovey because they have an attachment to their parents.  So... it's a "good" thing, I suppose... but can be difficult for parents who want space sometimes (like me!  LOL)

crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy 11:04 AM 03-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post

My friend says "I guess we can't complain when, after practicing 'attachment parenting', our kids are... well... attached to us"... I guess that's where I'm at with my kids.  None of them really had a lovey until they were older (though DD loooooved her binky, so you could call that a lovey, I guess)... and even then, it's not a desperate attachment.  Not saying that kids with loveys aren't attached to their parents, just saying some won't bother with an attachment to a lovey because they have an attachment to their parents.  So... it's a "good" thing, I suppose... but can be difficult for parents who want space sometimes (like me!  LOL)

yeahthat.gif

DS has gotten attached to a couple of things for short periods of time, though not so much to replace me... more like IN ADDITION to me.

But in case it will help, the two things he got attached to were a baseball cap and a 1" dalmatian he broke off DH's old toy firetruck. He loves hats so I guess it was comforting to him to have one on his head while going to sleep, and as far as the dalmatian.. well I guess he just liked that it fit in his hand so well and he could rub it like a worry stone almost. So maybe looking beyond soft fuzzy things will help you a bit??
goldenwillow's Avatar goldenwillow 11:26 AM 03-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post

yeahthat.gif

DS has gotten attached to a couple of things for short periods of time, though not so much to replace me... more like IN ADDITION to me.

But in case it will help, the two things he got attached to were a baseball cap and a 1" dalmatian he broke off DH's old toy firetruck. He loves hats so I guess it was comforting to him to have one on his head while going to sleep, and as far as the dalmatian.. well I guess he just liked that it fit in his hand so well and he could rub it like a worry stone almost. So maybe looking beyond soft fuzzy things will help you a bit??

A second yeahthat.gif.

I am glad to read this.  I have felt a tad guilty that I haven't made DS a doll... he just isn't into his stuffed animals that were given to him.  Likes his Mama, no doubt.  Thinking I need to rid of that guilt... he is just fine without.  Well... he does have a blanket he sometimes will hand me when super tired, but not often and it doesn't have to go with us to make him cozy.... I do however bring it on overnights and long road trips along with his sheepskin for something familiar.

julesdsm's Avatar julesdsm 03:37 PM 04-02-2011

Ds has been carrying around an uncharged ipod for the last three weeks. It goes everywhere we go and to bed.

Before that it was forks which he named "hoppies" . He had to have one at all times and slept with one. Everyone thought we were nuts to let him have it but he never came close to even having a scratch from it.

lifeguard's Avatar lifeguard 04:15 PM 04-02-2011

I've tried introducing a couple different things with no success. Ds went through a short period where he would cuddle his water bottle to sleep. And now he brings matchbox cars EVERYWHERE.

FreeRangeMama's Avatar FreeRangeMama 08:47 PM 04-02-2011

When my ds2 was around 2 he grew quite an attachment to my hammer.  He carried it everywhere.  He even slept with it at night.  Yup, a hammer.  Don't know what the appeal was, but he sure loved it.  He eventually outgrew that and it was his one and only real "lovie".  He has never been a stuffie sort of kid.

34me's Avatar 34me 10:51 PM 04-02-2011
My ds1 never had a love as a little like his brother and sister did. But he does sleep with his lacrosse gloves now at 14 ;-)
voca's Avatar voca 02:34 PM 04-03-2011
My 20 month old has become attached to a two inch tall clockwork penguin her father bought for her. It has to come to bed at night and for naps. Before this she insisted in holding a soother in her hand in order to go to sleep. Blankets and dolls and stuffed animals are just too big for her it seems.
tabrizia's Avatar tabrizia 02:43 PM 04-03-2011

DS was attached to my boob for ages,  fortunately he is better about it now, but he still likes to pat them.  DD is attached to my stomach skin, she loves to rub and pinch it, it is really annoying actually and I am working hard to work on stopping it, because it is not that comfortable to be DD's lovey.  DS2, hasn't attached to anything yet, but he is only 5 days old, I am hoping if he does attach to something it is something other then a part of my body!

Jerlin's Avatar Jerlin 08:18 PM 04-03-2011

I have no words of wisdom for you, as I'm in the same boat. My 17-month old DS is attached to me and my boob. We're hardly ever apart, and when he sleeps at night, I go to bed too. The only way he will fall asleep is if he's on the boob. And if I remove the boob too soon, he wakes up rooting for it. He wakes up several times during the night and needs the boob. However, sometimes if I put my arm there and he feels it, he will fall back asleep. But those are rare times. I'm not complaining, as I know this time period is fleeting. smile.gif

Up