My Favorite Illustrator, Gyo Fujikawa, SALE on Amazon! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you know Gyo Fujikawa?  SO nostalgic for me! 

The books are my favorite for toddlers and preschoolers because they're so charming and cherubic and true to life, capturing the innocence of youth!  And, typically, babies love books about babies!

Anyway, one of them is on sale at Amazon, so I thought I would share.  This is one I love to give for baby showers and first birthday gifts.

Oh, What a Busy Day

I hope this helps out someone!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 01:43 PM

I do remember those from my childhood! They are beautiful. 

#3 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 01:47 PM

ooh, thanks, I love that illustrator too; I just ordered a copy. what a great price. yay!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#4 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM

I found lets play at the thrift store for $.50 and they are selling it at on amazon for $60.00. feeling lucky

Self employed 38 year old Mother of one 5 year old super heroand wife to a lovely DH who is my hero..
#5 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks I just ordered it!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#6 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Giving this a quick bump because it's still on sale at Amazon and I LOVE this book!  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasiren View Post

I found lets play at the thrift store for $.50 and they are selling it at on amazon for $60.00. feeling lucky

What a SCORE!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#7 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 01:42 PM

We got ours and love it! Although there is a poem in the middle about two babes left in the woods to die. I suspect that might be the reason for it being relegated to the bargain bin! It's still a lovely book though, and I think I may actually tape those two pages together. I feel a little silly about the censorship, but I just don't feel like answering questions from my 4-year-old (who can read) about why parents would leave babies to die, what happens to the babies after they die, etc.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#8 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM

I just emailed my mom about it, I have our copy from when my sister and I were little, but my sister is pg and we'd love to have another one!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#9 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the tip! I ordered one also. :)  I just discovered this author as our library recently acquired several of these reprints. I was immediately charmed, as was my 2-year-old son! We have three of Gyo's books at home at this moment, although I haven't read this particular one before.

#10 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 PM

To everyone who ordered this book from the Amazon - how would you rate quality of the print? This review (left on March 20th, 2011) has me wondering:

"2.0 out of 5 stars

Wonderful Book, Poor Reprint, March 20, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Oh, What a Busy Day (Hardcover)

First off, this book is wonderful -- this is purely a review of the reprint. I still have a beat up version of the original -- this one literally pales in comparison. The colored pages look like a color xerox copy; the colors are not nearly as vibrant and the images aren't as crisp. 

It looks like all of the text was reset, and so far I've found one passage completely missing. ("Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear.") It also has a much wider leading, so the proportions are off. 

This is a visual book, so I was very disappointed that this was such a poor reproduction. "

?

:
#11 of 14 Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 PM

I love the book and just skip over the strange poem in the middle. My 17 month old loved it right away too. I sent one to another friend, ordered ourselves the "Sleepytime" book, and sent "Let's Play" to a friend too. I have a PRIME account so it makes Amazon so easy. I love them all.

Self employed 38 year old Mother of one 5 year old super heroand wife to a lovely DH who is my hero..
#12 of 14 Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikaKika View Post

To everyone who ordered this book from the Amazon - how would you rate quality of the print? This review (left on March 20th, 2011) has me wondering:

"2.0 out of 5 stars

Wonderful Book, Poor Reprint, March 20, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Oh, What a Busy Day (Hardcover)

First off, this book is wonderful -- this is purely a review of the reprint. I still have a beat up version of the original -- this one literally pales in comparison. The colored pages look like a color xerox copy; the colors are not nearly as vibrant and the images aren't as crisp. 

It looks like all of the text was reset, and so far I've found one passage completely missing. ("Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear.") It also has a much wider leading, so the proportions are off. 

This is a visual book, so I was very disappointed that this was such a poor reproduction. "

?

It looks fine to me. It may be a change that's only noticeable if you have both books side by side.

#13 of 14 Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM

The book looks fine, I read that review also and ordered it anyway. Maybe he got it from a different seller.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#14 of 14 Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the review! :)

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page