What are some good birthday presents for a 2 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My neice, Brianna is going to be 2 years old late next month and I am trying to figure out what to get her for her birthday.  It has to be inexpensive, yet fun. 

The only thing I have bought so far is a girls potty training book on amazon.com called "Don't Tee-Tee in your TuTu", because she is potty training right now.  I want to get her more than this, but am stumped.  Help!

Jessie

#2 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Containers. 2 year olds love containers. Purses, tool boxes, fishing tackle boxes, back packs, wagons, boxes, Tupperware. Anything they can put other things into and lug around with them.

#3 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD just turned 2 and we got her a nice metal tea set that sings when you tip the pot up and money into her college fund. Grandparents mostly got her Dr. Seuss books. She's pretty happy about all of it. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#4 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM

A plasma car!  My daughter absolutely LOVES hers.  She scoots on it, but is quite fast and it helps with the energy.  :)

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#5 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 AM

When my oldest turned two we got him four gifts.

Something to wear -- socks
Something to read -- an Eric Carle book
Something he wants -- a soccer ball
Something he needs -- a potty seat

We use the poem for all birthdays.
MandaSea likes this.
#6 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My son turned 2 on Saturday and we got him a book about Spring.  It's just a picture book and he has been absorbed in flipping through it.  We also bought him a wooden puzzle and a paint brush.  We have an older child and she paints.  Our little guy has participated several times, but we only had 1 large brush.  When he opened it, it wanted to paint immediately, so I set him up and off he went!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#7 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 AM

Ds LOVES little matchbox cars. They're cheap, take up no room & brings them EVERYWHERE with him.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM

My dd turned 2 in Feb, we got her a melissa and doug dollhouse. It was $40 on amazon and came with furniture and 2 dolls. We also got her another package of dolls, I think there were 6 in there. She loves it. (however it stunk like chemical filled glue when we got it. I thought m and d was a "natural" company, but I guess not)

Alot of the other things she got she is not interested in, like the purse, dress up shoes, stuffed characters.

#9 of 22 Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 PM

ds turns two on May 1st and we bought him two bath toys from yookidoo and "funny face beakers" for the tub also. Bath time seems to be one of his favorites so I figured we might as well buy him some new toys since his Boon bath toys are starting to mold duh.gif
#10 of 22 Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 PM

kangarooboo.com

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#11 of 22 Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmsquared View Post

This is a good idea for b-days thumbsup.gif

#12 of 22 Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Playsilks! You can get white silks at Dharma trading company and dye them yourself with food coloring and vinegar, or you can buy them on Etsy or at Atoygarden.com. I am always recommending playsilks for birthdays; my DD got her first set for her first birthday, and they are the only toy that gets played with every week--and she'll turn 9 this summer! Seriously--they make dress-ups, superhero capes, rivers and farms for block cities, fires for your pretend camp-outs--they are the perfect toy.

aHikaru likes this.
#13 of 22 Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 AM

Art supplies. Washable crayons, markers & paints with paper.
#14 of 22 Old 04-15-2011, 05:57 AM

What does she like to play with? Thinking of my girls at 2, my older one got a little box filled with toy lizards and that was her favorite thing ever! She carried it around telling everyone about her "wizards."  My younger one got a dress up box with princess dresses and she loved it so much and still plays with it. I gave this to my nephew for his 2nd birthday and he has found a million uses for it and thinks it's the greatest thing ever and he sits in it or fills it with toys or rolls cars down the side or sits on top of it or spins in it. http://www.bilibo.com/en/enter/default.aspx (I bought at my local toy store, not online)

#15 of 22 Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 AM

As a mom, I like receiving books and puzzles.  We can always have more of those, and they are easy to store with the others.  DD loves them as well. Also, they are easy to purchase at almost any store, a plus for you.

#16 of 22 Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 PM

I agree with maptome, I like receiveing puzzle, books, or almost anything Melissa and Doug.  I prefer to give/get "learning" type toys.  Although I don't like licensed character stuff, I am going to a party in a few weeks where disney things were requested (so it really depends on the family).

I just bought my DD 17 months a Rody (her bff - 2 year old) has one that she has LOVED for months!!  I found mine on amazon for $35, but it didn't come with a pump.  It does come with an adapter so I was able to use our bike pump :)  Oh, and I ordered on a Sunday and got it Wednesday!

You can check out at www.rodytoy.com

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#17 of 22 Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmsquared View Post

I love this! I'm going to try to remember it.

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

#18 of 22 Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Magnadoodle. That thing is hands down my kids' favorite toy. It's my favorite to. It's quiet, doesn't make clutter, can be used for drawing without wasting paper, the pen is attached and can't get lost, the older one can play tic tac toe and practice writing on it as well as drawing, it's small and fits easily in a diaper bag or my purse...

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#19 of 22 Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 PM

My DD will be 2 in a couple of weeks.  Here are the things she really loves to play with:

- funny hats (she has one with a duck head on it that she wears Every. Single. Day.) and socks (again, animal faces are a favorite)

- boxes that stack inside of each other (these are worth their weight in gold at our house)

- books of all kinds (though we have too many so I hope people don't get any for her birthday)

- wooden puzzles

- crayons, markers and drawing paper

I particularly want to second the PP's recommendation about containers.  DD's most beloved toys at the moment are an empty pepper shaker, an empty oatmeal box, and a toy shopping cart in which she pushes them around.  In general, anything that can hold other things is good. 

Playsilks are also great, but if they're outside of your budget (they are for us), you can just go to a local thrift store and buy a handful of small scarves or handkerchiefs and put them in a special backpack, box, or basket.  I have done this for birthdays and they just love it.  Any sort of bright-colored fabric that is the right size for small hands to hold, fold, play with, drape, etc. is just fantastic for 2-year-olds.  DD loves to play with my scarves, and my niece loves a tiny doll blanket that I made for her. 

When my niece turned 2 a few months ago, I couldn't think of any toy she didn't already have (and didn't want to fill my brother's house with more stuff that he'd have to store).  So I filled a small basket with little single-serving snacks that she loves: fruit snacks, granola bars, dried fruit, nuts, etc.  That might be an option too. 

ETA: I nearly forgot!  DD also adores those "my first words" flash cards -- just simple ones with a picture on one side and the word on the other.  She has a set with Sesame Street characters on them and can't get enough of them. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#20 of 22 Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Posting again to add:

My two year old goddaughter absolutely loves plastic dinosaurs. Most places that sell toys have them and she always finds the bin and pulls them all out and makes them play with each other and talk to each other and chase each other.

She also really loves to jump and bounce on the furniture so I'd suggest a small trampoline, I think they have some with bars on them especially made for toddlers so they can hold on while they jump. I've found those for around $30 or $40 on craigslist before.

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

#21 of 22 Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

Art supplies, if they are within your budget a small set of stockmar crayons will last her entire childhood.

A new balloon

Some fancy balloons, or bring her one once a month. My kids would love to have a "balloon aunt."

Again, depending on your budget, some cutting food http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I8UK04/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002C04YEE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ADDY98V32YRF4B2VZ99

If you are on a very tight budget, some stickers and chalk and bubbles or a ball from the dollar store

#22 of 22 Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

little animals like schliech, probably start with barnyard ones

dress up & play silks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page