Toddler limping??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my 17 month old DD started limping Wednesday evening.  I am a SAHM and didn't see her fall or injure herself at all.  The only time she isn't right next to me is when she is napping.

I guess I have 2 questions...

1) Do you have any experience with a toddler that suddenly started limping?  What caused it?

2) Is there an easy way that I can tell which leg hurts (limps kind of confuse me).  We have a Dr. appointment tomorrow, but they need to know which leg before we get there in case we need x-rays.  I know this sounds silly, but I really can't tell.

Thanks for your help.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 PM

1) Jumped off the couch but only cried for a second, turned out to be a fracture in the foot

2) Ask the child/the non weight bearing leg is usually the one injured.

#3 of 9 Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 AM

I hope it's something very mild!

#4 of 9 Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

We just got back from the doctor and they ended up taking x-rays of both legs...no fractures (which is good news I guess) but they aren't sure what is causing the limp.  They are having us monitor it for a week, so I hope it just gets better on it's own.  I hate not knowing what's wrong with my baby :(

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#5 of 9 Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Totally obvious, but it would be awful if you didn't check this, have you checked for splinters, stuff in the shoes, binding underpants?

A quick Google search suggests:

sprain

virus (e.g. a cold) that's currently affecting the joint

pretending to be someone who limps (example was the kid wanted to be like their awesome uncle)

#6 of 9 Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Haha, I love the idea of imitation!  She does actually imitate me if we are playing (like running in place, or "monster" walk).  I don't think we know, or have seen, anyone with a limp though.  I might have to keep a closer look out :)

You have our exact train of thought.  First it was take off her shoes - still limping, then take off her socks (thoroughly check feet) -still limping, then take off her pants -still limping, then take off her diaper - still limping. 

I hope it's just a virus, I haven't heard of that happening until today.  I think that's why the doctor is having us wait a week before coming back.  Really hoping this resolves on it's own, they mentioned a lot of "scary" diagnostic testing that could be necessary.

#7 of 9 Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 PM

And a mild sprain could make it uncomfortable to walk normally while not having any readily apparent signs.

#8 of 9 Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

And a mild sprain could make it uncomfortable to walk normally while not having any readily apparent signs.

That, and they can happen fairly easily as well. Like, stepping wrong off a step or curb.

Or she could have pulled a muscle.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#9 of 9 Old 04-05-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I'll look up more information on sprains/pulled muscles.  Maybe there is something I can do to help it heal faster.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page