15 month old doesn't sleep from 2-4am? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

our daughter has never been a good sleeper. she sleeps in her crib next to our bed for the first 2-3 hours, then comes into our bed and wakes every 1-3 hours.  the last 2 months or so she's been waking up around 2am miserable and screaming.  we give her a bottle,  she'll drink a lot of milk, we'll comfort her, and she'll dose for 5 minutes or so, but she's basically uncomfortable and crying off and on til around 4.    we'll change diapers, feed her, hold her, not hold her, etc.  and nothing works.  she's definitely not happy about being awake. it's like she can't get comfortable.  does this sound familiar to anyone?  

i'm wondering if she doesn't know how to put herself to sleep (we give her milk til she falls asleep)? and maybe we need to try some more aggressive measures to help her figure it out. we've tried some of the no-cry sleep solutions, but she cries, so we haven't pursued that bc we just aren't into cio.  but i'm pregnant with #2, and being up so much is really wearing on us all, and she's not happy either.  any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 AM

i don't have a solution - just sympathy.  our rough sleep time seems to be between 1 & 3.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#3 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Hi. My daughter does this occasionally too. She's also 15 months old. What has worked for us is someone just getting up with her and walking and/or rocking her. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. Maybe she has a tummy ache or is teething and just can't get comfy on her own. My DD sleeps full time in our bed and I find that some nights she sleeps better when DH is on the couch and it's just the two of us. What about moving her to a bigger sleeping space?

Hang in there. and congrats on #2!

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#4 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM

She could have a food intolerance. And it may not be something obvious.

My DD had been waking up for hours at a time in the middle of the night. When she was about 20 months, I cut eggs out of her diet. Not all eggs, she still gets baked goods that have eggs in them and such, but no more fried eggs or hard boiled eggs or scrambled eggs, etc. After a few nights, she slept all night long (except a couple of wake-ups for a drink of water, but then she was right back out) Every once in a while I will give her a few bites of egg and see what happens. So far it's not good, she goes right back to waking up in the middle of the night.

All babies are different, of course, so I'm not saying this is what is going on, but it might be worth considering. smile.gif

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#5 of 8 Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM

You have my sympathy too. My daughter went through periods like that between 14-18 months (if I remember right!) and it sucked. She was usually happy when she woke up though, and just wanted to play or crawl around the bed.  But sometimes she cried too.  We just did the "grin and bear it" thing, and after a couple of months she stopped on her own.  So it might be terrible right now, but it won't last forever! I hope you get more sleep soon!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#6 of 8 Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM

At 15 months, my DD went really crazy with sleep.  She slept like how your LO slept, and then started getting up at night and never going back to sleep.  I had to walk around the house in the Ergo with my boob in her mouth multiple times a night.  She went back to only napping on me in the Ergo.  It just slowly got better and stopped over time.  I think it was really bad for 2 weeks, and slowly got better for the next two weeks.  In retrospect, I don't know what caused it.  Perhaps, canines...I'm still not sure.  DD is 20 months now and a couple of weeks ago, she slept for 7 hours straight (unrepeated, but still, something to look forward to).

#7 of 8 Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRose View Post

She could have a food intolerance. And it may not be something obvious.

I second this-ds  was gluten and lactose.  It is the screaming that led us to start cutting things from his diet.

#8 of 8 Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This has been happening alot with us recently and it's canine related. For some reason they are so much worse than molars?!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page