DD can escape from high chair-what now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have the Svan High Chair, which was great for DD1.  Never had an issue at all, easy to clean, unobtrusive etc.  At around 11 mos, DD2 figured out how to climb out while buckled in.  Obviously, it's really dangerous & we can't have that continue.  I need to be able to walk in & out of the room for 30 seconds without her standing up in it.  She is a real daredevil & I can't see letting her sit in anything but a 5 pt harness type seat for awhile. 

Suggestions? 

What about the space saving types that sit on a regular dining room chair?

Oh & our table has an edge that doesn't allow anything to attach to it. 

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#2 of 12 Old 04-04-2011, 06:19 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My kids just sit in there chairs so no help there and we love the fisher price strap on model but I wouldn't buy it for a squirmy kid or heavy . I can see it tipping over. 

#3 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Does your existing high chair have a five-point harness? I don't know that chair you mentioned. If he's climbing out of a five-point already, I can't imagine the space-saver ones would make a difference. But if your high chair doesn't have a five-point, then something with a five-point would be the answer, right? Some of the space-saver boosters have five-point harnesses, but they're only as stable as the chair they're attached to, so you have to consider if your chairs are sturdy and won't tip.

When DD1 was climbing out of her highchair, which didn't have a five point harness, my solution was to forgo the highchair entirely for a few months, and instead I used a lightweight stroller with a tray, that did have a secure harness, pushed up next to the table. The climbing phase didn't last all that long, and it kept me from having to buy something else.

If baby was a few months older, I'd recommend just letting him sit in an ordinary booster, but 11 months is young for that.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 AM

I have no idea what a Svan highchair is but we got a Graco highchair (from my shower) that had a 5-point harness, I'm sure there are lots of others out there too... I haven't seen a booster with a 5-point but they probably do exist... For the last year or so we've used a booster that straps to the chair, and we don't strap DS (he just climbs in & out himself, and since it straps to the chair it's pretty stable & safe). That is only for family dinner though, for the rest of the day he usually eats at his own kid-sized table or whatever, so that's another option for you -- not sure if you are trying to find a safe way for her to eat or you are trying to keep her contained while you do other things?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Why not get rid of the infant barrier and just let her climb out. Better she does it safely.

Or just put her down, everytime you leave the room.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#6 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for replies.  She is 14 mos now, just started solid walking last week & is very petite.  Definitely not ready/able to be climbing in & out of any size chairs on her own yet safely.  The kids table will be perfect during the day for eating, coloring etc in 4-6 months (we have it in our living room & dd1 loves it).

The Svan high chair is only a 3pt harness-I never considered that when we picked it out for dd1.  I don't want to buy another full size high chair.  If I could do it all over, I probably would have registered for a space saving one?  Ideally, a booster with a 5 pt that is effective would be perfect.  I searched threads here & saw this one mentioned.  I am going to go read as many reviews as I can find on it.  I might even be able to sell the Svan. 

I am looking to keep her in her seat for dinner time since we are trying to teach our 3.5 yo that dinner time is family time & we all sit & talk about our days until everyone is done.   And also while I am cooking, since she is often underfoot in the kitchen, reaching up near the oven etc.  A learning tower just isn't in our budget & she is not ready to stand on the dining room chair next to me like DD1 does.

But I also do need someplace to keep her for a few mins here & there during the day.  Our house is also on the market so I need to stay on top of things since we have showings several times a week & all weekend. 

If anyone knows of any other boosters that are 5 pt., chime in!  TIA!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#7 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B002OOWAK8/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1302113480&sr=1-6

I like this one. It's similar to what we had (although we didn't pay so much-- I can't find the one we had.) It starts with the harness and tray, and you can use it without either, for later on.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 AM

I know you said your table has a ridge, but would this work with it? It goes around the ridge: http://www.target.com/Regalo-Easy-Diner-Fold-Chair/dp/B0044D0WD4

Another thought, do you have a Moby-type carrier or just a long strip of fabric? Maybe you could find some way to comfortably tie her upper body into the highchair...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#9 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

I think we tried the Regalo but it didn't work on the table???  But we did try & return quite a few of those kind with DD1 so I might be confused...

I was thinking of trying to use a wrap or my sling but wasn't sure it would work...I could experiment a little though.  Hmmmm.

#10 of 12 Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM

Shauna - ck out this discussion re escaping babies :-) ypu are not alone! 5 point sounds like a possible solution! eat.gif
#11 of 12 Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 PM

SHAUNA-good discussion on escaping babies and high chairs! eat.gif
#12 of 12 Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 PM

We have the Stokke and love it. It has a 5 point harness...if you are thinking of selling the Svan. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page