Potty Learning Tribe! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 214 Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a youngish mom (24), and I have memories of using pull-ups at night (when I was like 4 years old)! No way I wanted that for my kids. We're EC-ers. My first was done during the day at 17 months and at night at 18 months. My son is 14 months. He still has a couple of accidents a day. He's either naked or in underwear most of the time during the day. (Sometimes, when we are out and potty access isn't easy, he'll be in a diaper just in case.) He will take himself to the potty some of the time when naked, but he lacks the language to tell me he has to go. My daughter was pretty much done after about a month of being able to sign "potty." We've been signing with him, too. He talks a little and signs a little, but no word for potty yet. It'll come.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#62 of 214 Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM

My very potty-resistant 37mo old DS has peed on the potty four times today.  He helped DH fix the toilet this afternoon and now wants to use the potty so he can flush and watch the tank empty and fill. I hope it lasts for at least a couple days :)

youngspiritmom likes this.
#63 of 214 Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have another funny potty training story. 

So DD, my friend, and I were shopping in Whole Foods. DD obviously needed to potty, but wouldn't have anything to do with the big potty (I should have brought her little one in from the car). So we're trying to hurry and leave and grab just one more thing and of course she pees on the floor. I change her into fresh pants/underwear and I'm looking in my bag for the wet bag. I keep telling her over and over not to move because there's pee on the ground. Of course she does and she slips and falls in her pee! Nice hard floor to her head (don't worry, she's fine now) so she's screaming bloody murder. I'm picking her up and trying to comfort her and she pees again! This time it's all over my shirt and her second pair of pants. Finally we find someone to help us clean it up, but DD won't let me change her pants until we get to the car. So I'm soaking wet holding soaking wet DD checking out our food and running out the door. Really funny in hind sight. 

Things I learned from this experience: bring her little potty in WHERE EVER WE GO and just because I'm not the one potty training doesn't mean that I shouldn't have a fresh pair of clothes on hand. 

Wow, epic pee disaster. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#64 of 214 Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM

He signed, "Potty!" joy.gif Okay, it looks a lot like waving good-bye, and he doesn't do it consistently before he needs to use the potty, but it's a start for him to use a word to indicate that he has to go.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#65 of 214 Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 PM

I'm so happy I just stumbled on this thread. My DS is 2 yrs and a couple months. He is still in diapers. We have a potty and I ask him if he would like to go sometimes. Often he says no, and I just say "OK." But sometimes he will decide he wants to and go sit there. Of the times he has sat there, he has peed in the potty 5-8 times and pooped 1-3 times in the last 2-3 months. Usually he doesn't go at all but still likes to wipe and pretend to flush.

We also let him come into the bathroom with us and watch us go potty. He likes doing that and is very interested.

I honestly know nothing about potty training and have had no time to research it. When do I start? How is it done? I plan on reading this thread with eager eyes! lurk.gif

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#66 of 214 Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 PM
mbm

<sigh>  DD (2.5) seems to understand potty training from a logical standpoint.  If you ask her, "What do you do when you need to pee or poop?" she says, "Tell Mommy or Daddy, and run to the potty!"  When I put underwear on her, she says, "I'd better keep this clean and dry."  "Where does poop belong?"  "Not in my underwear, in the potty!"

She will pee in the potty (no poop yet) if I take the initiative to make her go.  And she gets a big, proud grin on her face when she uses the potty!  But she has never once "told Mommy or Daddy and run to the potty" when she needs to go.  In addition, she is totally unperturbed by wet or poopy underwear.  She waits for us to discover it and call her on it, and only then says, "Oh, this baby needs to run to the potty!"

Today I asked her to sit "for a little bit" while I cleaned up the mess, and she said, "I can't pee a little bit on the potty, I just peed a big bit in my underwear, actually."

#67 of 214 Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 AM

I understand how this could all be frustrating...but the way you wrote it also sounds so dang cute!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbm View Post

<sigh>  DD (2.5) seems to understand potty training from a logical standpoint.  If you ask her, "What do you do when you need to pee or poop?" she says, "Tell Mommy or Daddy, and run to the potty!"  When I put underwear on her, she says, "I'd better keep this clean and dry."  "Where does poop belong?"  "Not in my underwear, in the potty!"

She will pee in the potty (no poop yet) if I take the initiative to make her go.  And she gets a big, proud grin on her face when she uses the potty!  But she has never once "told Mommy or Daddy and run to the potty" when she needs to go.  In addition, she is totally unperturbed by wet or poopy underwear.  She waits for us to discover it and call her on it, and only then says, "Oh, this baby needs to run to the potty!"

Today I asked her to sit "for a little bit" while I cleaned up the mess, and she said, "I can't pee a little bit on the potty, I just peed a big bit in my underwear, actually."

#68 of 214 Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 AM
mbm

Hahaha, I know!  And I think that just makes it *more* frustrating, because I worry that she's learning that accidents are funny and so she should have as many of them as possible.

#69 of 214 Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngspiritmom View Post

I'm so happy I just stumbled on this thread. My DS is 2 yrs and a couple months. He is still in diapers. We have a potty and I ask him if he would like to go sometimes. Often he says no, and I just say "OK." But sometimes he will decide he wants to and go sit there. Of the times he has sat there, he has peed in the potty 5-8 times and pooped 1-3 times in the last 2-3 months. Usually he doesn't go at all but still likes to wipe and pretend to flush.

We also let him come into the bathroom with us and watch us go potty. He likes doing that and is very interested.

I honestly know nothing about potty training and have had no time to research it. When do I start? How is it done? I plan on reading this thread with eager eyes! lurk.gif

Read Diaper Free Before 3. I really liked that book. We didn't start until less than a month ago, but taking a similar approach DD (25 months) is making it in the potty at least once a day. 

So we had some sad news at the doctors office for DD--she's severely allergic to peanuts. I may have not believed it if she wasn't having a bad reaction at the time. Her body apparently reacts gastro-intestinally (though could just as easily react with more life-threatening things like closed airways and shock) so she literally pooped about 10 times at the doctors office. Bad poops too. Amazingly enough, she made the first three in the potty (yay!), but then after that we used every single pair of underwear I brought with us and she exploded the diaper on the way home. She's fine now, but I felt so bad when it was happening. She just kept telling me "sorry mommy" and what character on her undies she got dirty and stuff like that. Obviously, we're avoiding all nuts from now on.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#70 of 214 Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

Quote:

Read Diaper Free Before 3. I really liked that book. 

She just kept telling me "sorry mommy" and what character on her undies she got dirty and stuff like that. Obviously, we're avoiding all nuts from now on.

Poor girl!! Awww, she seems so concerned about it. I'm glad you got it figured out though. Hey maybe if she doesn't like getting the characters on the underwear dirty then you can use that to your advantage when potty training. Tell her that when she goes on the potty the characters are happy because they don't get wet or dirty. Hey, it could work! wink1.gif

I am going to put that book on hold at the library.....being diaper free before 3 would definitely be nice, especially if i have another baby!

#71 of 214 Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM
mbm

Quote:
Hey maybe if she doesn't like getting the characters on the underwear dirty then you can use that to your advantage when potty training. Tell her that when she goes on the potty the characters are happy because they don't get wet or dirty. Hey, it could work! wink1.gif

We tried telling DD the princesses were sad because she pooped on them, and she said, "No, they're not, they're smiling!"  And I didn't know what to say, because it was true.  I think there is a market for a new kind of fabric for children's underwear, on which the characters' little smiles turn to frowny faces when exposed to bodily fluids.

Poor peanut-allergic girl.  Hope she feels better soon!

#72 of 214 Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Here is my mini potty training pants review.  We have tried

Gerber training undies

Bummis waterproof training pants

Potty Scotty 2 in 1 waterproof training pants

Super Undies waterproof snap open stuffable trainers

Tot Wrap Transition trainers waterproof

What works best for us at home is 2 pair of Gerber training undies and a thick pair of sweat pants.  He feels wet instantly and the pee trickles down his leg, which makes him run to the potty fussing.

Out and about, I like the Tot Wrap Transition trainers.  A huge pee ( like 8 oz) will leak out the sides if left on too long after the accident, but smaller accidents are contained nicely and he still feels wet.  They fit a little smaller than I thought.  DS is almost 26 pounds  and a very small 25 month old, and the 2 T just fit.  I almost wish I had gotten the 3T so he'd have room to grow. 

The Bummis and Potty Scotty pants are both smalls and they are HUGE and oh so Poofy!  They served their purpose and contained the accident, but I don't like the way they fit.  Also, after washing the Bummis, the flannel inside the undies doesn't feel very soft.

I like the way the Super Undies fit and love that they are stuffable.  I used a small loopy do insert, but it is a little short.  A medium insert maybe 14" long would have worked better.  They are great at keeping the accident in, but pulling them up is a pain.  The snaps are always unsnapping when I pull them up.  Granted, I bought them used, so maybe the snaps are worn out - the elastic definitely is.  I may end up sowing them shut so I don't have to deal with the snap issue.  I don't really need the snaps because DS rarely, if ever, has a poo accident anymore.

I'd have to say that I'm not a fan of the FOE - fold over elastic.  It pills up and doesn't hold it's strechiness. 

So, we use Gerber undies at home, Tot Wraps out, and Super Undies at daycare. 

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#73 of 214 Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

We're having a minor setback the last few days.  I think two year molars are coming through and DS is also finding his 2 year old self.  I think I should change his name to "NO!"  I guess we will just keep plugging along and hope this resistant phase ends very soon.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#74 of 214 Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 AM

I'm jumping in.

DS is 2 and was doing really well...until a couple of weeks ago. I think it's because he finally started talking. Like, his brain is too focused right now. In any case, we get poops on the potty (unless he's wearing a diaper...and then he's fine just going in that. *sigh*) When we try to go bottomless he pees all over the floor. It's really frustrating. 2 weeks ago we were getting 95% of everything in the potty. Now we get poops and MAYBE one pee the whole day.

This morning I tried putting underwear on him. He said, "potty?" so we took it off and ran to the potty. He climbed on and off and on and off until I said, "Okay, if you don't have to go we're all done." and he gladly put his underwear back on. We walked in to the living room, he sat down to play, and peed in his underwear. Ugh, SERIOUSLY???

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#75 of 214 Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Oh, I want to join!  DD is 21 months old, and is nearly 100% with taking herself to the potty at home, but only if she is naked.  She is super verbal and will tell us if she needs to use the potty, but she just doesn't seem to get it, when she is wearing clothes or a diaper.  I will admit that I am probably making this worse by not really trying to get her to go if we are out and about and busy.  I am not really sure where to go from here.  Underwear/trainers and lots of reminders?  She can't get pants/underwear on and off on her own, so she will need a lot of help.  I am definitely going to check out some of the books that have been recommended.  What have been people's experiences with night training?  She is always wet when I get her up in the morning, unless we happen to be sleeping in the same room (on vacation or similar) and I get her diaper off as soon as she has her first waking of the morning.  So I think she is probably holding it overnight, but I dread the thought of taking her to the potty at 530am, and her deciding that it is now time to get up for the day.  I have put her in underwear for naps a few times, and she has stayed dry through them without a problem.  Looking forward to hearing more experiences and advice!

#76 of 214 Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

CourtBChase - My 26 month old is exactly the same.  Perfect when naked, clueless in pants.  We buckled down and tried to get him in pants today.  I never knew one kid could wet 4 pairs of pants in one hour!  I think we only caught a couple pees all day, and that was just a timely reminder on my part.  It seems like a lot of folks who start with naked learning

have trouble with the transition.  Anyone have brilliant tips?

#77 of 214 Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 AM

Oh, I would love to hear some opinions from the more experienced mothers here. My 18month old ds stays dry for 3-4hrs at a time during the day. He hates, hates, hates the potty, he won't sit on it. He hates the toilet as well. No standing on the rim either. I used to be able to catch his poop almost every time until he turned 13months. But not anymore. I know he can feel the wet diaper, he often wants it off. We've tried taking him with us to the bathroom when we need to go, but he does not seem to make the connection.

I would love to use the warm summer months to get him more naked time and get him potty trained.Am I trying to do this too early?

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#78 of 214 Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the review. We are at the stage of putting training pants on ds now. He basically goes to the potty when he's naked but doesn't mind being wet if he's on some kind of underwear (to him its the same as diapers sigh). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post

Here is my mini potty training pants review.  We have tried

Gerber training undies

Bummis waterproof training pants

Potty Scotty 2 in 1 waterproof training pants

Super Undies waterproof snap open stuffable trainers

Tot Wrap Transition trainers waterproof

What works best for us at home is 2 pair of Gerber training undies and a thick pair of sweat pants.  He feels wet instantly and the pee trickles down his leg, which makes him run to the potty fussing.

Out and about, I like the Tot Wrap Transition trainers.  A huge pee ( like 8 oz) will leak out the sides if left on too long after the accident, but smaller accidents are contained nicely and he still feels wet.  They fit a little smaller than I thought.  DS is almost 26 pounds  and a very small 25 month old, and the 2 T just fit.  I almost wish I had gotten the 3T so he'd have room to grow. 

The Bummis and Potty Scotty pants are both smalls and they are HUGE and oh so Poofy!  They served their purpose and contained the accident, but I don't like the way they fit.  Also, after washing the Bummis, the flannel inside the undies doesn't feel very soft.

I like the way the Super Undies fit and love that they are stuffable.  I used a small loopy do insert, but it is a little short.  A medium insert maybe 14" long would have worked better.  They are great at keeping the accident in, but pulling them up is a pain.  The snaps are always unsnapping when I pull them up.  Granted, I bought them used, so maybe the snaps are worn out - the elastic definitely is.  I may end up sowing them shut so I don't have to deal with the snap issue.  I don't really need the snaps because DS rarely, if ever, has a poo accident anymore.

I'd have to say that I'm not a fan of the FOE - fold over elastic.  It pills up and doesn't hold it's strechiness. 

So, we use Gerber undies at home, Tot Wraps out, and Super Undies at daycare. 

#79 of 214 Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'd love to join in here.  DS is 21 months and has good potty days and wet diaper days.  I'll be back with more questions and experiences later, but I wanted to post to get this thread up in my activity feed for later.  

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#80 of 214 Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM

My boy is 15 mos and we have done EC since birth.  We have always had extremely variable success (many total dry days at 2 mos, few now!) which mostly seem to be due to boredom if we try the same thing too often, and autonomy issues. He generally loves any novel peeing place, or outdoors even at home.    Putting diapers on has been more trouble than it was worth since 8 mos or so, so we have used Imse Vimse trainers and gerber cotton trainers (when he wears anything at all - he likes to wander around naked at home) since then.  Even the IVs leak though, so we usually have to change pants if we miss, which is very frequent at home, but pretty rare out of the house.  Right now I am in the middle of making a pair of wool trainers from wool jersey lined with cashmere (his skin is a bit sensitive to regular wool) with an extra layer in the crotch.   If they work, and don't seem too hot, I'll make a couple more pairs and maybe finally cut down on the laundry! 

I'll tell you one thing though - I am sick of pee! 

#81 of 214 Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Alright, done with finals, and finally have time to really post here.

We started a 1 time a day EC when ds was 3 or 4 months old, because I found myself just sitting in bed every morning waiting for him to poop so I could change his diaper, which I decided was silly.  A couple months after that I discovered he always pee after naps, so it became a 3 time a day EC.  Then when he was about 18 mos he started asking to go pottty sometimes!  I was shocked, and not really ready to go for the full time training.  I've been putting him in Gerber cotton training pants with an extra soaker layer, and wool longies over the top.  I like this combo, because it keeps things dry if he pees, but it's really easy to tell if he's wet (the wool pants feel really warm, but not wet) Also, ds can pull them down himself and sit on his little potty if he needs to.  I wish I could find training pants in 18 mo size, but nobody seems to carry the potty scotty ones.  He's really good these days about pottying when we're out and about.  For a couple of weeks he would ask every time we were out, but couldn't get comfortable on the big potties in stores and things.  Then one day it just clicked for him and now he pees no problem on any kind of toilet.  I've been putting him in diapers while we're out, because I'm afraid of him peeing on the floor at a store or something, but it's getting really cumbersome to take him potty and then somehow get his diaper back on him.  I bought this pattern yesterday, and I think I'm going to make up a couple of the waterproof version  for outings and night time.

Night time is another issue I can't  decide how to handle.  I'd really like to work on his sleep this summer, and  probably night wean as well.  We've had trouble in the past with him not being able fall back asleep easily after he wakes in the night.  I'm talking like 2 or 3 hours before he settles back down, so I'm wary of taking him potty at night for fear of waking him up too much.  He still pees a lot at night.  How is everyone handling night time?  Maybe if I  night wean him he won't have to pee so much at night? 

The only other trouble we're having is ds using potty as a delay tactic for when he doesn't want to go to bed yet, or when I'm leaving to go somewhere.  I hate to ignore his potty requests, but sometimes I know he just went.  He recently figured out that I take his potty requests more seriously if he starts grunting like he has to poop!  I'm really afraid of potty learning getting into the power struggle territory.  I just do not want to go there.  So I'm wondering how people handle their little ones crying wolf.  Currently, for bed time, I take him before we get jammies on, and then if he asks he gets one more trip, but after that it's all done potty. It seems to work alright.

#82 of 214 Old 05-06-2011, 12:54 PM

I don't know if it is some seriously good vibes since I subscribed to this thread or what :)

DS has always had the freedom to run naked when we are home.  Misses here and there.  Been part time EC'in since birth. 

This past week has been fantastic!  On Monday, I was washing dishes while he was dancing and I looked up and he was on the potty!!!  Signing potty as well!  WHOOO HOOO!!!  I gave him a big high five and he continued dancing.  I was so darn excited that I didn't have to ask him to go.  I texted my husband telling him the news.  I got to see it himself on Tuesday.  SO funny what brings you joy as a parent! 

'09   
#83 of 214 Old 05-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Nak

Angelorum thanks for the link. I just recently bought the gerber training pants for him but I was looking for a site that had some kind of pattern for me to just make some for ds. We tried night time ec with ds and had the same problem. Since we cosleep we would turn the light off and go back to sleep. Ds tossed and turned  and eventually went to sleep. On the nights that he cried we just held him and explained to him since he wanted to play that everyone and everything including his toys went to sleep. Needless to say after a few nights of that I put night time pottying on hold for a while till i figure out a gentler way. I can't complain much tho since he's been doing awesome lately during the day.

Quote:
SO funny what brings you joy as a parent!

That's so true. We get so excited when ds pee's in the potty.

#84 of 214 Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post

Night time is another issue I can't  decide how to handle.  I'd really like to work on his sleep this summer, and  probably night wean as well.  We've had trouble in the past with him not being able fall back asleep easily after he wakes in the night.  I'm talking like 2 or 3 hours before he settles back down, so I'm wary of taking him potty at night for fear of waking him up too much.  He still pees a lot at night.  How is everyone handling night time?  Maybe if I  night wean him he won't have to pee so much at night? 

From what I read, night time dryness is purely developmental. DD night weaned a few months back and I haven't noticed a decrease in pee in her diaper in the mornings. The big thing for us is getting her diaper off before she pees in the morning because that one is a BIG one. 

#85 of 214 Old 05-08-2011, 12:12 AM

Yeah, he pees a ton first thing in the morning, but that's usually on the potty.  Now that it's finally warmer here, I put him to bed without pants on, just his diaper, so it's easier for me to just stick a finger in the leg and tell if he's wet.  I think I'll just try and take note of when in the night he's peeing, and then maybe I'll experiment with sitting him on the potty.  I have noticed he's usually dry for the first few hours of the night, and pees at his first waking, 3 or 4 hours after bedtime.  Sometimes it seems like he doesn't wake up quite enough to pee, but then wakes again 20 minutes later because his bladder is full. 

I got "Diaper Free Before 3" from the library today.  Looks good so far, but I just started it.  Excited to get some good ideas and tips though.

#86 of 214 Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 AM

DS uses the potty 99.9% of the time as long as he's naked.  Even at night, I leave him naked and he stays dry - BUT I do need to take him to the potty when he starts to squirm in the early morning hours (he is sort of half awake and not aware enough to remember about the potty on his own :P)

So, this past week I have started testing him with wearing pants or boxers.  It's not going well.  He has told me he had to go potty a couple times, but mostly he just pees (and even pooped this morning!) in his boxers.  I have to be constantly with him and reminding him.  When he's naked he goes on his own, even if I'm not with him.  But with boxers on he forgets unless I remind him.  I'm going to keep trying though.  Hopefully he will get it with more practice.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#87 of 214 Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Hey there Angelorum

we used to have great difficulties with nightime for the same reasons - getting out of bed woke him up too much and he would get upset as well.  For several weeks now (in response to a diaper rash from staying in a wet diaper all night) we have been using a quart-sized yogurt container in bed, while nursing, with a headlamp on facing the wall to aim with.  I do this AFTER he has already peed in his diaper once, so I don't have to be 'on alert' all night long.  He has some nights when he doesn't want to use it, but he usually stays dry those nights until morning.  I have him sleeping on a wool puddle pad with a recieving blanket on it, so if I don't wake up enough and he goes, it usually doesn't mean wet sheets.  It is a good idea to have a jar with a cover nearby as well to decant into (we have had a few morning accidents where I spilled the cold pee - YUCK!).  He likes this so much more than getting out of bed, he often tells me he has to go when he wakes up at night ("pee!") and even reaches for the container in the morning to go, which is a pleasant surprise.  He is 17 mos, so similar age wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post

#88 of 214 Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 AM

What about poo???? Does anyone else have a child that flat out refuses to try to poo on the potty? I'm not sure what to do. He's naked at home or in underpants and using the potty successfully (still a lot of accidents, but it's new) I'm just not sure what to do about bowel movements... He tries to hold it in...or if he's in underpants he will go in them. I don't want to force him to go on the potty but how can I convince him? He is almost 3! Thanks for any suggestions...

#89 of 214 Old 05-09-2011, 11:32 AM
mbm

DD won't poop on the potty either.

Part of the problem is that she doesn't give any indication when she might need to poop.  I can't catch her and neither can her daycare teacher -- she says the other kids have about a ten minute wind-up to the big event.  And there's no consistent time of day, either.

Someone told me that they asked their kid if their tummy felt funny, to help them make the connection between that and the need to poop.  So far that hasn't worked for DD, though.

#90 of 214 Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Well, I've been keeping ds in trainers pretty exclusively during the day and he's doing great!  I try and watch the clock and make sure I take him regularly, but yesterday he asked to go before I decided to take him almost every single time!  I've even gotten brave enough to take him out in his trainers, and he went potty out like a champ!  We're planning an hour trip in the car this afternoon, and then we'll be out for a few hours before heading back home.  I think I'll keep him in his trainers but put one of his diaper covers over the top.  Wish us luck! 

As for night time, I'm focusing this week on making his bed and nap times really consistent, because they haven't been these last couple of weeks, and after he's on a more predictable schedule, I'll try taking him potty at his first night waking, and see if he can get used to that routine. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page