Need educational dvd ideas for 18 months old for long international plane flight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

I am traveling solo to europe with my 18 month old daughter. She will be a lap baby on a 17 hour plane trip. I will be bringing a dvd player. I just started introducing her to tv to prepare her for the plane trip.  Please tell me what shows your toddlers are watching, or any dvds your recommend.

Many thanks

E married to J, angel1.gif 7/08, DD 10/09, DS 5/12

http://minimummama.blogspot.com/

#2 of 18 Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Maybe Wonder Pets?  My 2yo has enjoyed watching it for a while now, at least since 18mos.  It's a cute little show that has different animals and music and such.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 18 Old 04-16-2011, 11:54 AM

At that age my ds really liked Backyardigans. 

caffix.gif

#4 of 18 Old 04-16-2011, 02:44 PM

woodchick,Did you purchase all episodes of "Wonder Pets"? If yes - from where and how much did they cost (as a set)? On another note: Something is off with the formatting for me. It is not letting me go down a line when I press "enter". Sorry

#5 of 18 Old 04-16-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

woodchick,Did you purchase all episodes of "Wonder Pets"? If yes - from where and how much did they cost (as a set)? On another note: Something is off with the formatting for me. It is not letting me go down a line when I press "enter". Sorry

No, we didn't buy them.  We watch on Netflix streaming.  Sorry I'm not more help!

If you're using the newest Firefox, try clicking the 'clear' button before you start typing. That has helped my reply box issues!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#6 of 18 Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

She seems to really like wonder pets.  :)

E married to J, angel1.gif 7/08, DD 10/09, DS 5/12

http://minimummama.blogspot.com/

#7 of 18 Old 04-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Blues Clues was the first show that really caught DS1's attention.  He got a DVD for his second Christmas, so he was about 22mos.  I would recommend the Classic Clues DVD. We prefer the original host, Steve, and that is the only DVD where all the episodes have him.  Netflix has several seasons streaming, so you could try some out before buying (if you have time before your trip) DS also really likes the Curious George series and there are a bunch of DVD collections of those.

#8 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 AM

DD just started watching some shows (we don't have a TV) and she really likes SuperWhy, but she is 2.5. Honestly, the few times she saw TV at 18 mths (at the dentist and other people's houses) it didn't really hold her attention for long (it does now). I would def ry it first to make sure it's going to work for the flight. You don't want to be relying on something that doesn't!

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#9 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like the Curious Buddies. They have a bunch of different ones (1/2hr long) - go to the Farm, to the Park, Make Music. He loves the Let's Move. Some are better than others with music choices; all have the same animal characters (just Dog, Pig, Cat... no character names) and do movement and shapes and sounds. I've gotten most of them from the used suppliers from Amazon for like $4 a piece.

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
#10 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM

My DD is the same age as yours and LOVES LOVES Elmo's World. Elmo makes long car rides SO much easier!!! She especially loves the episodes with dogs, cats, and farm animals. We get them through Netflix.

Part time working mama to my awesome 2 yr old dd, and newborn ds hbac.gif

angel1.gif 8/08

#11 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 PM

DD loves baby Einstein, also Barney, Sesame Street, and Thomas the Tank Engine. I would recommend having lots of option, changing it up prevents boredom for her and insanity for you. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#12 of 18 Old 04-24-2011, 04:09 PM

Check out the movie "Babies." 16 mo dd is completely captivated by it. It's a documentary that chronicles the first year of different babies' lives from all over the world. It doesn't have any dialogue.

#13 of 18 Old 04-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Dinosaur Train and Sid the Science Kid are the best ones for holding my son's (18mo) attention. Both are on PBS, but are available through Netflix streaming or regular. Both contain solid science info/concepts but are still really interesting for this age group (I am a science teacher, so I think they are super cute!!). Good luck on your long flight!!!

#14 of 18 Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 PM

They Might Be Giants "Here Come The ABCs", "Here Come the 1, 2, 3s" and "Here Come Science".  Not only does my 2 year old love them, I do too!  And he's been watching them since he was about 22 months old.  I ordered them all from amazon and they came with a dvd and cd for about $10 for each set.   You can preview them on youtube, just search "TMBG 1,2, 3s" or something like that and clips will come up.   

hakeber likes this.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#15 of 18 Old 04-24-2011, 08:00 PM

I am confused! Most of what posters here are recommending seem to be available via Netflix streaming. If yes - how can the OP watch it on an international flight?

#16 of 18 Old 04-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Teletubbies

Hard hat harry

redface.gif

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#17 of 18 Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM

I just got back form international travel with my 18m old. . .that flight is seriously miserable. And I'm ashamed ot say,. but TV saved us. My ds love, LOVES Signing Time and Baby Signing Time. I already had purchased a few of them, but wanted more, so I checked them out from our local library and copied them.  (I know, I know, this is "bad", but I can't afford to keep buying them at $20 a pop.)  I took my laptop with about 6 videos copied into the desktop and it worked like magic on the flight, esp when it got bumpy and we were supposed to stay seated and buckled in.  DS pretty much refuses to watch anything but signing time, but some videos that yours might like are Sesame Street, Dora, Blues Clues. . .and I really recommend seeing if your local library carries them.  Or maybe if some friends own some and will let you borrow?

Good luck! 

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#18 of 18 Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM

My lil guy LOVED some dvds we found at the library (ie. not a show on TV) The brand is So Smart!, the series is "Baby's first word stories". They have different themes. He's 2 1/2 and STILL loves them. You can buy them on their website, or Amazon.  And he likes Elmo of course.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page