2 y.o hitting/scratching his own face when angry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When my ds, who was 2 on 2/23 gets angry, he starts hitting at and scratching his own face.  The other day, we were in the car and I couldn't stop him and he ended up with bloody scratches all over his face!!  These fits are basically in place of normal tantrums.  I have since cut his nails very short so he can't do too much damage and if I can, I sit calmly with him and tell him I can't let him hurt himself and hold his arms away from his face.  Is this at ALL normal?!  I am pretty worried about it

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#2 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

anyone!

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#3 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

that was meant to say "anyone?"  :)

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#4 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM

i dont think i can offer much help, except to say my son does something similar. he doesnt scratch, but he pretty much slaps himself in the face when he gets mad. i tend to think its an alternative to when people cover their faces when they are upset, only this is more exuberant because he is a toddler. i can't tell you at which point it becomes a problem. i hope someone else can offer more information

#5 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 PM

I won't comment on if it is normal or not but I do think parents should trust their gut. If you think something is not right, get help. At 2 years of age the earlier the better, it can mean a big difference if you are right.
#6 of 6 Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 AM

Not sure if you would consider this similar self-harming behavior, but my 20 month old son has just recently started biting his hand or arm really hard when mad, usually stemming from not getting his way on something. I was quite startled the first few times it happened, as he had deep teeth marks but thankfully never broke the skin. I really think now a few weeks into this happening that this is his attempt(without trying to sound too harsh) to manipulate the situation and get what he wants. He saw how much concern he got from doing that and decided to play it for what it was worth. The last few days I've either simply told him not to bite himself and walked away so he couldn't see my reaction and the behavior stopped short. My DH has also playfully pretended to bite his own arm when my son does that which to my surprise actually resulted in the tantrum ended and my son bursting into giggles.

If your DS is scratching himself to the point of bleeding however, I can see where you would want to intervene. As previous posters mentioned, if you're concerned that something more is wrong then perhaps it's worth looking into for your own peace of mind... however... it may just a phase some toddlers go through?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page