Skin between two front teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 14 month old has some inner lip skin between his two front teeth.  (that little piece connecting upper to gums)

I've done a quick google search on it and it looks like some people have it clipped and others say it's normal, to insure enough space for the adult teeth.  What's the deal?  

#2 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

My younger sister had that.  It didn't bother her and no one did anything about it until she woke up one day when she was about 12? and it had swollen up.  She ended up having a frenectomy and it has been normal since.  So keep an eye on it, it might be fine or it might be an issue.  I'm sure a pediatric dentist could give you some input. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM

I would have a dentist check it out at our next visit, but wouldn't worry. I've heard it can tear during a fall and can "fix" it, just be prepared for some blood.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our dentist called it a lip tie and said it can cause problems with teeth gapping later. There is a simple laser treatment to correct. Not sure what we will do yet but may correct it when our kids are older.

#5 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM

My 18mo has this. Her pediatrician, dentist and mama aren't worried. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM

Ds has this. If I had noticed when he was smaller I would have looked at getting it clipped 'cause bfing has never been particularly comfortable for us & I think this is in large part because of it.

A friend's brother had it & it was clipped when he was a young teen because it was creating a gap in his teeth that couldn't be repaired with braces until it was removed. It's never caused him problems since.

We're going to go with a wait & see approach - unless it causes problems for ds we won't do anything.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 PM

I had this, and all 3 of my children have it.  Since it hasn't affected breastfeeding, I am not worried about it.  When there permanent teeth start coming in I will have it clipped, it is a simple procedure but most oral surgeons wait till you are older to clip it.  It can effect teeth spacing and my Mom had a large gap between her two front teeth because of hers.  All of my siblings got theirs clipped as early teenagers and none of us have had an issue with it.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#8 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Someone I know just had a baby with something like this (tongue tie though) and although they used to clip them all by default apparently now in Canada they only do if it's causing a problem (ie with breastfeeding).

#9 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMonkey View Post

Someone I know just had a baby with something like this (tongue tie though) and although they used to clip them all by default apparently now in Canada they only do if it's causing a problem (ie with breastfeeding).

my experience in america is similar. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM

My dd has a frenulum tie there. Her doctor said it can cause speech issues and a gap in her teeth, but until we notice a problem, we're just going to leave it. If we had noticed it earlier, I would have had it clipped because he had a lot of trouble nursing, but at this point, she seems fine. 

#11 of 11 Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 AM

I had it as a child and it went away on it's own. my teeth are perfect.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page