Your nap philosophy-- keep it sacred or go with the flow? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The worst time for naps, for us, was when I had a preschooler who took one nap, and babies who needed a morning and afternoon nap. Because the twins would wake up right in time for lunch, and DD1 was ready for her nap just after lunch. She'd just be waking up, when it was time for the twins to sleep again. Very annoying. I liked it in one way, because I got more focused time with each kid, but it meant we could never go anywhere during the day, which sucked. Fortunately, that phase only lasted a few months, before DD1 gave up napping.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#32 of 41 Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Definitely nap time is sacred in our house. But that's really because of DS, not any scheduling on my part. DS naps better & longer at home, he sleeps better at night when he naps well, so it's worth it to rush home at the first eye-rub. We are go with the flow up to a point... we've gotten good at reading DS & we usually keep it local during the day, so we're never far from home. When we travel, we do what we can to meet his sleep needs but it's typically all over the place.

But I'll put it this way, if something (as in, some activity or outing) is totally going to mess with nap time or require that we be willing to skip it, it better be darned important!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#33 of 41 Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post

neither of my kids slept. ever.  There were no naptimes.  There was barely any sleeping at night.  I'm fairly certain they're aliens. 

Oh man, I needed that kind of laugh :)

We are keep it sacred nap family. I find that I need the down just as much as DD does.

Mama femalesling.GIF of a sweet little daughter diaper.gif , born 7/10/2010. Married to my dream boat of a hubby partners.gif, 8/20/2009.

#34 of 41 Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM

I have found myself in situations similar to yours and it ruins *MY* day if DS doesn't get his nap on time.  I swear, I am more cranky than he is!  I would say we fall in the "naps are sacred" category but I am always baffled/amazed by moms who seem to have kids who nap on the go and I wonder if I have done this to myself. 

#35 of 41 Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 AM

I am going to add a hard truth to this thread for the OP.  With some kids, kids who will not just nap where they land, or kids who will make up for the lost sleep at bedtim without much crank factor...it's fine to go with the flow and be out and about and carefree.  You can be one of those parents where having kids doesn't really disrupt your life, too much.  DS was like that.  If it was worth it to stay awake he would and he'd be AWESOME 90% of the time. Then he'd sleep for 14 hours that night and wake up happy as Larry.

But with other kids, kids who if they get over tired will not sleep right for DAYS, who will be total crankpot monsters for hours and hours if they don't get a good sleep every 5 hours...well you just have to accept the hand you're dealt and probably NOT go out that much, or hire a babysitter when you want to go out, expecially during the day.    OR deal with a very cranky child.

I mentioned it up thread, but I can tell you when you have a baby that needs more sleep regularity than you are able to give...it sucks.  We just went on vacation for 4 days where DD was unable to get the naps she needs when she needs them and they didn't last as long as she was used to, and were in a strange place...man!  She was just so unhappy.  Not only was she cranky and really screechingly adamant about doing everything herself (including trying to launch herself down the water slide, eat with her own sharply pointed fork and drink from a glass bottle by herself at the restaurant, shake a dodgy looking coconut palm, and leap into the deep end of the pool without her water wings.), but then she was sleeping like a newborn again at night, up every two hours to nurse and fuss and then up for the DAY at 5am...some vacation!  I need a vacation to relax from my vacation!

So, we realized that in the future, we are going to have to suck up the cost and hassle of bringing her travel cot, and if we really want to relax think seriously about vacationing closer to home so we can bring our favorite babysitter along for a few days to give us a break during the day or so we can do some fun things with DS while DD naps rather than having forced puzzle and game time in the cabin when all DS wants to do is shoot down the waterslides all day.

DH and I have also started to choose to take turns with important events.  So for example if he really wants to go to an outdoor all day event, I'd probably let him go with a friend and I'd stay home, or vice versa, because that way at least ONE of us can have fun, ya know?

Also remember that the next baby might be very go-with-the-flow on the napping front, napping in a carrier, or the car or anywhere at all, making things somewhat easier, and you may find that your DD outgrows the nap altogether in a few months.  DS stopped napping completely by 18 months...he started sleeping between 12 and 15 hours at night, too!!!  God, he was a good baby. orngtongue.gif (J/K)

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#36 of 41 Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWithAPony View Post

I am always baffled/amazed by moms who seem to have kids who nap on the go and I wonder if I have done this to myself. 

I don't think we create a need for napping with little ones.  I mean my DS was definitely the odd one out. Most of the parents I know do everything they can to be home (or in a home like place) for nap time if at all humanly possible.

The good news is it only lasts for about 2-4 years and then they usually out grow the need.  Most parents on the other hand really miss that mid-day peacefulness of naptime.  It is my theory that this is why so many of my generation from the age of about 4 onwards were booted out the back door after lunch rain or shine and told not to come back until dinner.  But it's just a theory.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#37 of 41 Old 04-29-2011, 12:00 PM

We're a little bit of both.  DS (almost 2) has never skipped a nap entirely, but it's certainly been pushed forward or back by up to 2 hours, depending on what we have planned for the day.  Same with bedtime--the goal is 8 pm, but it gets moved around.  This works in large part because DS is one of those kids who isn't bothered by changes in his sleep schedule.  He'll just make up for it the next day and it doesn't result in any grumpiness.  But once he's down, he needs to sleep for at least 2 hours, or else he's a complete bear when he wakes up.  So we go with the flow about when he naps, but we're very keep-it-sacred about how long.

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#38 of 41 Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 AM

We are go with the flow people.

My son travels with us and goes on outings a lot, and sometimes, there is no obvious place to nap.

Let me tell you though- he will nap if he wants one. I feel his personality is such (and we are raising him to know that he can get what he needs from us, no matter what) that if he is tired, we will take care of him, even when there is no familiar around him. He is securely attached and is just now learning to ask for what he wants (he is 15 months).

He has fallen asleep in the carseat, stroller, ergo. He crawls into my lap and falls asleep at strange locations. Even when we are home, if I get wrapped up in homework or chores and do not put him down proactively, he will run to the babygate closest to the bedroom and do the sign for milk. (At this point, he only gets milk before sleeping- he is being weaned.)

So I dunno if my son is special in this way or what, but I am blessed!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#39 of 41 Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM

We're pretty "go with the flow" when it comes to naps. When she was younger, she needed her naps so badly, but she'd also nap pretty much anywhere so it was easier to keep her on track. Now, she's just over two and can stand to go without a nap. She will only nap at home now or in the car. So, if we're out and she's not acting like she really needs the nap, we're fine with skipping it and having an early bedtime that night. In fact, sometimes we prefer it. She usually only skips it because we're busy and if we're keeping busy, then she doesn't really get fussy about being tired.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#40 of 41 Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM

We are 100% go with the flow for both naps and night time. 

Some days we wake up early, some later and all revolves from that.  Some days dd (17m) will take two naps, some only one.  Depending how she slept during the day, she will either be tired for the night early, late or even super late.  We spend a lot of the time outside of the house, and sometimes stay late at our friends' houses.  DD will sleep when she's tired.  Either in the car, stroller, Ergo, or just while being held.  Doesn't matter where she is.  She even slept peacefully at an autocross event we went to last year, and it was really noisy. 

When she wants to sleep, she sleeps.  On the other hand, if she's not ready for bed yet at night there is usually no way I can leave her in her crib.  She will not have it.  We co-sleep so obviously I won't leave her in our bed.  She has a crib right next to our bed.  During the day if we're home she sometimes plays in there for a little bit and then falls asleep.  But not at night. headscratch.gif

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#41 of 41 Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 AM

Last night, Rowan was NOT going down to sleep. It was frustrating, since he obviously was tired and we wanted to watch a movie. But after a couple hours of trying (between two parents!), we decided to stop letting our agendas for a child-free night interfere. We brought him back out into the living room (which is also his play-space) and let him play for another hour. Then when he crawled into my lap, I took him to the bedroom and he fell right to sleep. Yup- another vote for go with the flow.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page