skipping the crib? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently working on night weaning my co-sleeping 16 month son.  Once he is night weaned I'm planning to move him out of our bed.  But I don't know what to move him *to.*  We have a crib, but he's never slept in it and it feels weird to start now.  I kind of want to just get a regular twin bed with a rail and go for it.  I don't know how long it will take to night wean, but is it crazy to try to get a child under two to sleep on his own in an unconfined bed?   Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

DS1 born 12-31-09, DS2 born 2-18-12

#2 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We did it. I nightweaned ds at about 15 months & then moved him to his own room in a twin bed with rails at around 18 months. It has worked great for us.

We did put a baby gate on his door so we could keep the door open to hear him but keep him from wandering - we've honestly only used it to keep the dogs out during the day.

Jessica2fruity likes this.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM

If it's crazy, then I guess I'm crazy.  My now 14m DD sleeps in a twin bed placed on the floor in her own room and has been there for naps and bedtime since about 6 months.  If she woke in the middle of the night (which she did A LOT), I just snuggled up next to her to nurse and if I fell asleep with her, no big deal.  Sometimes I'd sneak back out to my own bed.

Everything in her room is childproofed.  She makes noise as soon as she wakes, and I hear her, so I know she's up.  I used to keep the door to her room closed, but for a few days now I've opened it when I go to bed.  Now when she wakes she comes to get me in my bed!  :D  We have our morning nurse/snuggle in my bed then go start our day.

It's really worked out great for us.  The crib is so dusty at this point we should really take it down.

She did roll out of bed a couple times, but it's only 6 or so inches onto a carpeted floor so she's fine.  Not worth getting a rail, imo.

EDIT:  The mattress is pushed up against a wall, so I try to keep her on that side of the bed.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#4 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 PM

We were gifted with a crib when our oldest was born, we coslept for 18 months before we set up the crib. How weird would it be to sleep in an open bed and then suddenly have bars? Yikes. We bought the little guy his own twin mattress and gave away the crib. He sleeps on it just fine and crawls into bed with us in the morning when he wakes up.

#5 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Our son (18months) won't sleep in cribs period. A mattress on the floor and even at daycare he was in a toddler bed from the getgo. So, yes, you do not need a crib. And at that age I know several kid that tried and were able to climb out, which I think is more dangerous than just falling out of bed. A carpet on the floor will soften the bump.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#6 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 PM

we've never owned a crib. DD started using a crib mattress on the floor of our room at 11 months for naps and she started out the night there. we moved it into her own room at 15 months. I would do a mattress on th floor, DD still rolls off quite often at almost 2. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#7 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

One of my friends' 11 month old son sleeps in a toddler bed with guardrails. Our DS (also 11 mo) naps on our bed with guardrails. I don't see why it shouldn't work for an older toddler to sleep in a kiddie bed with rails. Maybe have the bed in your room for the first while (which I would think is the best way to transition to his own bed anyhow), just to be able to monitor if he's doing okay and not sleepwalking or something.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#8 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 AM

We also nightweaned my son around 13 months and moved him straight to a full size mattress on the floor.  We did full size because then daddy could go to sleep with him or lay next to him easily if he woke in the night.  It's worked great for us!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#9 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 AM

We also have a full size mattress on the floor. DS's room is totally baby-proofed. He's been in his own bed since 12 months and is now 18 months. Most nights DH or I sleep in his bed for at least part of the night. It actually helped a lot with night weaning in a gentle way, because DH could go in and lie down with him at night--he's in his own bed in his own room but co-sleeping is still an option for us to ease the transition. We love this setup! Google "Montessori floor bed" for inspiration.
#10 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

I LOVE these ideas!  Thanks for the encouragement.  I think I'll go with my gut and skip the crib!  I really like the idea of a full mattress on the floor.  Sounds perfect for us. :)

DS1 born 12-31-09, DS2 born 2-18-12

#11 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 AM

I think it depends on how active a sleeper you've got.  Two of my children, and now my youngest too, were just so active in their sleep, I didn't feel comfortable leaving them sleeping in another room unless they were in a crib.  My ds in particular seemed to just gravitate to the floor any time he was on an open bed, even regardless of whether he was right next to me, and I'm a very light sleeper myself.  Even on a mattress directly on the floor, guess where he still ended up?  If they weren't so active, though, I might've moved them to a futon mattress or something and then their "big" beds.

#12 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM

We've had our son in the toddler bed for about a month now and it works great! He still sleeps in our bed after his first few hours, but he naps in there too. I like that he can get out when he needs to. Ours is also Montessori inspired as this is similar to what he does at school.

#13 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 AM

I don't see why not.  We don't co-sleep and Julia is in a crib for her bed but she's up so much and crabby, she ends up in bed with us anyway and it's crowded!  We are going to have her and her 6-year-old sister share a room and we're buying them matching day beds.  I think we're just going to stick a rail on the daybed and go with it. I can always crawl in beside her in that type of bed.  I figure she naps on my full bed a lot and can get down and out of the room on her own so she comes down or calls to me when she's up.

I don't know if you could "get" a co-sleeper to be in a crib at this age.

BTW, I am jealous of the night-weaning.  I wouldn't even know how to begin.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#14 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 PM

DD hated her crib - she screamed every time we put her in it no matter what. She is 18 months now and we still happily cosleep for most of the night and some naps, but she sleeps on her floor bed in her room for a couple of hours every evening before we bring her into our bed.

I have a baby gate i can put in her doorway, but we really never use it. Just leave the door cracked, put on the monitor, and she can come find us if she wakes. She does sometimes roll off the mattress onto the floor, but we put a "snoogli" pregnancy pillow around the mattress (only use we've ever gotten out of it) to soften the roll, and there's a rug on her floor. Sometimes we find she's moved off the bed onto the floor in her sleep, but it's no biggie.

#15 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Great thread!  My DD is 11 months and still co-sleeps and nurses through the night.  She has a crib in her room she has spent about an hour tops in all year (I've put her in there after she falls asleep nursing, and she usually wakes up very quickly and plays with the toys in the crib for a few minutes before she wants to get out) and I don't think she'll ever sleep in the crib.  I may have to take the crib out, put the mattress on the floor and try that.  There's also a twin bed in her room, so I may just get a bed rail for that for her to graduate into.  I don't know!  I have two older boys who co-slept when they were babies, and I somehow managed to move them to a crib later, but I have a horrible memory and this is one of the things I can't remember!  When did I move them?  How long did it take them to get used to the crib?  Gosh, I miss my pre-mommy brain!

;;

#16 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM

I am a Montessori teacher and a mother of 3.  None of my kids slept in a crib.  We just "prepared their environments;" making sure everything was safe in their rooms.    Paula Polk Liiliard has a great book called Montessori from the Start and she explains why you do not need a crib.  Plus, I always hear horror stories from my friends when they switch from a crib to a toddler bed.

#17 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Ds1 was in his own twin bed in his own room at 19 months, right after we nightweaned. We never did the rail. Just had a mattress and box spring on the floor with no bed frame. He wasn't much of a mover in his sleep though. His room was minimally furnished and very safe and I didn't have any worries that he would get hurt by something. He generally would come find us in bed if he woke up.

#18 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Go for it Mama! I weaned DS at 13 months, then slowly transitioned him to a futon on the floor in our room, to a futon on the floor in his room, then straight to a twin bed with no bed rails. Put him in the twin-bed (raised off the floor) at about 19 months and he has not fallen out. I was a little worried he would, so I took precautions for the first few months (we had a crib mattress we stored under the bed during the day, and pulled out at night in case he fell out). Actually, we did try a crib for a few weeks but he hated it and we hated it and then they all got recalled and we just thought "what's the point". The twin mattress is great because if he's sick we can sleep with him instead of bringing him back into our bed.

#19 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could even use you crib mattress on the floor. Currently my 15 m dd naps on her boppy on the carpeted floor and sleeps on a very high king bed

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#20 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 PM

I can't imagine putting a 16 month old in a crib. I know there are people who keep their kids in cribs until they are 3 years old, but I just can't fathom it.

For one thing, both my kids started potty learning around a year, and the crib prevents them fro going potty when they wake up.

Both of mine started in my bed, then transitioned to a toddler mattress/bed around the time they strted crawling. The toddler bed was only for naps and the beginning of the night, ad then at the first waking, or wheneverI went to sleep I bring them in with me. Ds went fully to his own bed at around 16-17 months. dd shows no signs of nightweaning or sleeping alone, and the kids have bunk beds, so I can't put her on top with her brother, obviously and he refuses to sleep with her on the bottom because it's pink and has Dora. sigh.

Anyway, neither of my kids had any real use for a crib, and I definitely wouldn't introduce one this late in the game.

Also, about the falling out of bed thing, the toddler bed rails do a pretty good job of keeping them in. ds had a car bed and that thing was hard for ME to get up out of, no chances of him falling out!

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#21 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
tzs

we just transitioned our 18 month to a twin-sized mattress on the floor (in a corner of the room). actually, it's a 4 inch foam matress topper which is comfy enough for her and lower to the ground. i love it so much i wish i had done it sooner. it took a couple nights of easing her into it (she slept in a crib previously and really did like it...i think the openness & newness was a little freaky for her) but it was way easier than i thought, took maybe 10 minutes of me sitting in the rocker while she got comfortable, and i got lucky and never had to deal with her constantly getting out. even if she had, it wouldn't have been a big deal, i just keep her door closed. it's so nice to be able to come in and cuddle with her when she wakes up. 

i had wanted to do it way younger, montessori-style like pp mentioned but i just kept putting it off. next kid might get one as soon as they move out of our bedroom.

i honestly now think a crib matress would be a little small. we just spent the week at SIL's house and i had her on a crib matress on the floor and she fell off so many times one night, waking up crying, that i moved her to a pack and play.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#22 of 30 Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 AM

Just so you know...I had a railing and my dd fell out anyways. It was horrible!  It is best to put the mattress on the floor.

#23 of 30 Old 04-27-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post

i honestly now think a crib matress would be a little small. we just spent the week at SIL's house and i had her on a crib matress on the floor and she fell off so many times one night, waking up crying, that i moved her to a pack and play.

I guess everyone is different....my big boys are 6.5 and 5 years old. They both still sleep on the crib mattresses. It's small for my big guy, but he sleeps all balled up and if he needs more room, he sleeps with us a lot anyway.

We trasitioned the kids to the crib mattress on the floor beside our bed at around 2. Earlier would probably have worked just fine. At around 3, they were ready to be off the floor and we took the side off the crib, which is one of those convertible cribs intended to be a toddler bed. They still sleep in those when they are not in with us, and during the day they make comfy little sofas for the boys to read or have quiet time on. I'm kind of glad they managed to use the toddler bed function, because those cribs got a combined use (three kids now) of maybe ten minutes total.

Baby #3 is 17 months and showing no sign of night weaning, but I am thinking of setting up a crib mattress by my side of the bed because he is a restless sleeper and I think he may just want more room to himself without bumping into Mamma, Dadda or one of his brothers.

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#24 of 30 Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM

No crib family here!  My Dad actually bought us one because when I was a babe, I fell out of the run down one.  We sold it on Craigslist. 

We sleep on a king futon with a frame my DH built.  Just bought DS a full mattress and built him his own frame too.  His bed is at the end of ours... our room is one awesomely huge bed!  Works great until he is ready for his room.  DS is 22 months. 

'09   
#25 of 30 Old 04-27-2011, 04:29 PM

I agree with a lot of the previous posts...go for it!  As long as there's a rail on the bed your little one should be mostly protected from falling out.  And keeping it simple with a mattress/boxspring will keep the bed lower to the ground in the event of a fall.  thumb.gif

#26 of 30 Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM

All of my kids have gone from our bed to their own twin, never used a crib. We succumbed to the buy-buy-buy mentality with our first and bought a crib with a whole matching furniture set. I put him in it once for 2 minutes to take a picture... that was it! LOL! We gave it way within a few months. 

DS1 had a twin with bed rails at 18 months, though he still mostly slept with us. Once DD was born he was in his twin most of the time.

DD slept next to me until about 6 months when I realized she really hated co-sleeping. I put a twin bed up next to our queen for a few months and she still wasn't really happy. By 12 months she was in her own twin bed in her room. We didn't use a bed rail because one side of her bed was against the wall and she was a very still sleeper.

DS2 is currently 15 months and is sleeping part of the night in his own room in his twin bed. He is also uncomfortable spending all night in our bed and he tosses and turns and kicks me all night. We don't use bed rails for him, either. I put his sheepskin in the center of his mattress and I think it helps "ground" him because he never falls out of bed. To be fair, his room is only one in the house with wall-to-wall carpet and a carpet pad, so I don't worry too much about him falling. I also put his pillows on the floor just in case. It's been 4 months and he has been fine so far.

For all of the kids I did a week or two with the mattress right on the floor, two or three week with the mattress and box spring on the floor and then put the bed onto the frame after they'd gone a month or so without falling out of bed.

So, yes, you aren't crazy and it can certainly be done! :)

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#27 of 30 Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Lots of great suggestions here!

My daughter was somewhat older (2 1/2) by time we actually got her to spend any part of the night in her own bed (we also didn't night wean so that's a big difference too...). 

We made lots of false starts along the way including trying to use her crib mattress on the floor as well as buying a toddler bed for the crib mattress.   I was determined to try and use the crib mattress because we had spent a lot of money buying an organic one before she was born and I was frustrated to have *literally* never used it.  Using the mattress on the floor just never made it seem like a bed to her though and was more of a play spot.  So we next tried buying a cheap toddler bed.  That worked well for her but was awful for me.  I had to climb in to nurse her to sleep and would be horribly uncomfortable stuffed into the tiny bed.  Especially on the nights when I fell asleep too!

In the end, what worked for us was a twin bed pushed against the wall on one side.  I climb in with her at bedtime, nurse, rub her back, etc...   I bought rails but never even put them up.  I still leave a pillow on the outer edge of the bed but she never falls out or rolls around even though she's a wild sleeper in our bed.  Go figure!   In the end, I wish we had gone straight to the twin bed.  It might have made the transition easier and certainly would have saved me some neck pain!

Good luck!

#28 of 30 Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 PM

I'm glad to see this thread. Right now the Seedling is only 3 months old and I' plan to co-sleep until around a year, year and a half however I'd heard that it was impossible to get them into their own beds for years if they co-slept.  Glad to see that that isn't true. 

My mom is watching him at my house for a few months and is very pro-crib but he's my child and will co-sleep whether she agrees or not.  However, I don't mind having the crib set up for naps and for a safe place to put him when I need my hands free. 

Plus - what a great idea about the crib mattress on the floor - only problem is the cat and that his future tiny room has a very hot radiator right there.  Might be able to move or turn off radiator though.

#29 of 30 Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Our 15mo DD sleeps on a crib mattress on the floor in our bedroom.  We started trying to move her out of our bed at about a year, because she was not letting us get any sleep.  It has been a bit of a struggle to get her to want to sleep semi-separate from us, but we have been just kind of going with the flow as opposed to trying to force her out of our bed.  She has actually just spent her first week straight sleeping every night on the mattress, but last night ended up in our bed again.  It sure is nice to be able to get some sleep ourselves, and I figure that as long as we aren't making the switch traumatic for her (hence the 3 month transition period) we're not doing any harm by breaking up the family bed! 

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#30 of 30 Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Fireflyx- we had a radiator next problem too.  We turned it off (one of two in the room so temp wasn't the problem) and I tied her crib bumper to it to make it soft in case she rolled. It worked for naps when she napped.  And, it looked cute as I loved her bedding even if we weren't using it much!  I don't know if that will work for you but thought I'd share.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page