How much clothing is needed for an active 2.5-year-old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the past I have been one of those mamas who overbought on clothing for the kids, especially for DD . I am cleaning up/simplifying our lives and all excess has to go. I am planning to sell/donate what she does not need. She stopped BFing a couple of months ago, and she is currently PTing but still in CDs most of the time. How many articles of clothing do you think she really needs??

Emily ~ SAHM to E (6), E (4), and M (3). Happily homeschooling and planning a homestead.

#2 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

How often do you do laundry? We do it once a week and I find that we require about 10 dresses/tops and about 12 pairs of leggings, which she usually wears under her shirt or dress. The kids don't wear anything that isn't elastic-waisted or cotton/soft knit until potty learned. So no jeans, etc.

She is potty learning and is transitioning to cloth trainers with a liner but an accident will take out a leggings.

If you do it less often than you'll need less.

#3 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I never buy ahead of time. I get hand me downs and the supplement as needed. I would start with 5-10 outfits and go from there

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would say my minimum would be:

4-6 pants

4-6 shorts

2 dress outfits

6-8 tshirts

2-3 sweaters

10 undies

10 socks

4 sets pj

i have so much more than this, but i am thinking of going this way....

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#5 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say 1-2 outfits a day multiplied by however many days you go between laundry loads, plus a few sweatshirts/sweaters/cross-seasonal items. We pretty much just get by with hand-me-downs and the occasional gift, but if I had to calculate an optimal amount, I'd say:

10 seasonally-appropriate shirts
6 pants/shorts (maybe double that if you're potty training...)
10 pairs socks
~3 pairs shoes (sneakers, sandals, dress shoes, boots, depends on your climate)
3 sweaters/sweatshirts
1 or 2 jackets (raincoat etc.)
1 or 2 hats
1 or 2 dressy outfits (if you attend church or weddings or whatever frequently)
3 sets of pj's

I guess it also depends if you're the type to change her clothes whenever they're dirty/sweaty/etc. or just keep her in the same outfit all day (or naked most of the day).

I really don't mind having a little extra clothing though... If you have the space, it doesn't hurt to keep a few extra outfits (especially if she likes to play in water!) and a change of clothes in the car can be really useful too. But now that I think of it, I see a lot of kids in a different outfit every day so maybe the 'excess' you're talking about is more extreme than I'm imagining!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page