Snacks to last all day! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!

We are taking our DS to see his family in Utah on Wednesday. We will be leaving here around 10 am, and not arriving in Utah until about 8 pm at night. In the interest of saving money, I would like to bring some snacks/food with me to keep DS happy..

The ideas I have so far are :

-Larabars

-Fruit leathers

-mandarin oranges

-peanut butter sandwiches (maybe not a good idea to bring on a plane?..)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm hoping for some things that are small, and easy to clean up/carry, but are filling...

Thanks!

P.S Also, we are vegans!

#2 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM

If you're worried about PB, maybe almond or sun butter?

Carrot sticks (or crackers) and hummus -- a bit messy but still easy to clean IMO since it wipes off & doesn't stain or whatever!

Pretzels -- maybe even PB pretzels if you're not worried about the peanut thing...

Bananas

Coconut milk yogurt (I wonder if they sell these in tubes, I know some of my friends get regular yogurt in tubes so there's no mess??)

Trail mix with raisins, cranberries, pecans, sunflower seeds, etc.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 PM

I've been thinking about this, too and the fact that DS is 14 months, we have to steer clear of PB and nutty type things although he's had Butter Pecan ice cream and no reaction to it.  Carrots are good, and DS is a big fan of all types of veggies. 

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#4 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 AM

We are fans of the pouch applesauce/fruit & veggie purees.  DD loves them and they are so easy in a pinch. 

Good luck!

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#5 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelaria80 View Post

We are fans of the pouch applesauce/fruit & veggie purees.  DD loves them and they are so easy in a pinch. 

Good luck!

Do they let you bring those on an airplane? I wasn't sure if they counted as a liquid or gel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

If you're worried about PB, maybe almond or sun butter?

Carrot sticks (or crackers) and hummus -- a bit messy but still easy to clean IMO since it wipes off & doesn't stain or whatever!

Pretzels -- maybe even PB pretzels if you're not worried about the peanut thing...

Bananas

Coconut milk yogurt (I wonder if they sell these in tubes, I know some of my friends get regular yogurt in tubes so there's no mess??)

Trail mix with raisins, cranberries, pecans, sunflower seeds, etc.

These are great ideas, thank you! We actually live in Canada, so we can't get coconut milk yogurt... But I plan on stocking up for the trip home!

#6 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm pretty sure you can get a kids food exemption.  Just pull it out when going through security and let them know.  I did this with a Stoneyfield yobaby yogurt and all was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepiggie View Post

Do they let you bring those on an airplane? I wasn't sure if they counted as a liquid or gel...

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#7 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM

There are two keys to getting through security with stuff.

1. Get packaging that is below the cut off (3oz?)

2. Don't mention them.

The one time I had to throw something away was a full-size toothpaste because I had my toiletries bag out of my carry-on. They didn't look at any of our other bags, just that one because it was obviously a toiletries bag. If I had zipped it into another bag, they wouldn't have bothered about it at all.

#8 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 AM

How about edamame?  Our DS (13 mo) isn't much of an eater, but these & blueberries are often well-received.  Good luck on your trip!  Yikes!  How about cooked pasta (in a little water in a Rubbermaid or whatever)?  DS likes the tube pasta he can stick his finger into.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page