Hitting, pinching, kicking, OH MY! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My newly-three year old boy has gradually increased his ever-so-endearing displays of hitting, pinching, and occasionally kicking.  He's really sweet much of the time, but when he does not get his way in any form -- or when he just plain feels like it under benign circumstances -- he will do these things.  His sweet 9 year old sister is often the recipient, or myself and Daddy.  Time-outs do not seem to have any effect, and I'm feeling increasingly ineffective and clueless.  The "we do not hit people" routine is lost on him, at this age. 

Any suggestions?  Any reassurance that he will grow out of this into a "normal" kind individual like the rest of his family?!

Thanks in advance ~

#2 of 3 Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 PM

Mind if I join you?  I have a similar boy who is just over 2 1/2.  I would love suggestions as well!  It's incredibly frustrating and I have no useful response at this point. 

melmcwhorter likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 05-11-2011, 02:50 AM

Oh, I need help, too. My son is two, and we're going through the same thing. We do the whole "we do not hit" thing, and he's just starting to get it (sometimes). By that I mean he will hit or kick, and then after we say it you can see him raise his hand back and pause, as if he's really struggling because he wants to hit but has heard us. Sometimes he goes ahead and does it, sometimes not. I know he's struggling with impulse control. He'll go hit inanimate objects sometimes after we remind him no hitting -- I'm not sure if I think this is okay or not. 

Not sure what to do because we damn sure aren't going to hit him back, and he thinks being sat down to cool off is funny. I'm really just hoping its a phase that we can just ride out. I honestly don't know what to do at his age other than to keep reminding him that we do not hit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page