17 month old dropping naps entirely! Yikes! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is nearly 18 months and has recently been going all day without a nap at least twice a week.  It is killing me.  Is this happening to anyone else?  I give her all kinds of opportunities to fall asleep when she seems tired, but no luck.  As the day wears on she gets more and more cranky, and so do I.  She is obviously tired, but won't fall asleep.  I should also add that on the days she does nap, she sleeps for 2-3 hours, so it seems like she still needs the rest.  Is this happening to anyone else?  What do I do?

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 2 Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD gave up naps around that age.  It was a bit of a transition, but she really didn't seem to need them.  If she had a nap she would be up till sometime between 10pm and midnight, if she didn't she went to bed happily by 8.  That being said the days she did nap she would still sleep for 2 to 3 hours, she didn't reduce the amount of time she slept during naps when she cut them out, she just stopped napping.

That being said, I think it is fairly common around 18ish months for children to have a nap strike and then happily go back to napping again.  So that maybe what is happening as well.  In our case,  I never preventing DD from napping and always offered her the oppertunity to nap, but she wasn't interested and her not napping made our evenings a lot more happy for everyone so I didn't push her to continue to nap either.  Then again I also had a 3 year old who didn't nap at the point she was giving up naps, so I wasn't losing any downtime either.  I did fight DS a bit longer about napping when he tried to give them up at 2 1/2, just because I enjoyed the break.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page