Toddler really traumatized by Doctor visit! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All,
I'll try and make this as short as possible...My 3 year old's behavior has changed so much in the last couple of months that I almost don't recognize him anymore and I'm at a loss what to do. I had a baby in January and he seemed to be adapting well. I try to include him in what I'm doing and spend some one-on-one time with him everyday.
It all changed though after his routine 3 year check up at the doctor. He hadn't been since his 2 year check during which he was totally relaxed and talkative. This time though, he was terrified of the doctor and all the things he did to examine my son. He also got a tetanus shot that caused his leg to hurt pretty bad later that night.
So ever since then (beginning of April) he has been withdrawn and is always trying to hide alone or with our dog. He's always coming up with violent scenarios and today was putting a butter knife he got from the silverware drawer up to the neck of the dog. I have no idea where all this is coming from as we don't even have a T.V. or anything. He keeps telling my husband and me that he doesn't like us and he doesn't like our house. He doesn't even play with his toys :(
Any ideas about what to do? I feel so bad for him. If I try to talk about the doctor thing with him he gets really agitated and he won't talk about it...Anyway, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

#2 of 5 Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM

I dont have any advice really- sounds like the doctor, the shot, other emotional factors could all be the cause or maybe the change in behavior is worth checking out as a symptom of something else. I just wanted to send you hugs and support with what sounds like a really challenging time. I hope you find the answers you are looking for and find some solutions for you and your child in the coming days. Good luck, mama.

#3 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 03:59 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I wouldn't necessarily assume they are connected. Sometimes kids have a lousy visit to the doctor. DS had a hard time at his 3rd appointment but no problem at the next one.

And the other things, well, it sounds like normal yet annoying turning 3 stuff. DH and I know dream about the good ol' days of 2.

#4 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 04:08 PM

I would chalk this up to a combination of the new baby and - more importantly - being age 3. I would hesitate to attribute this to an incident several months ago. Three is really, really hard. Your sweet little 2yo can become like a different person. Add a new baby to the mix and....there ya go. I would quit trying to revisit the doctor visit with him and look closer to home.
#5 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM

def seems like more of a 3 year old thing.  Keep doing what you're doing and perhaps check out Playful Parenting book.  They have some neat ideas and it seems like your kiddo needs to vent about everything happening (aka baby).  The book talks about wrestling and extreme physical play etc,....might be useful. hth and hugs

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page