Training boy to pee sitting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A few months ago I started potty training my son who is 3 years old. I bought him a padded seat that sits on top of the toilet. But despite the fact that he does pee, I can't for the life of me get him to point his willy down, so in effect the pee goes up and over the edge of the rim only sometimes making it inside the toilet bowl.

He won't let me guide him to point his willy down and dad reckons he will "get it" as he gets older, so dad is no help in actually showing him.

Does anyone have any tips about helping me train him to point his penis downwards?? It seems as if his afraid to touch his penis, so this is where the problem lies.

He is starting daycare this week so one of the advantages maybe is that he will observe the other boys pottying.

I've tried to get him to stand instead but that is an absolute no go for him.

And as for pooping, well we're not up to that stage yet. (Still requests diaper for pooping into......sigh.....)

Any advice or words of wisdom will be appreciated.....

#2 of 9 Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 AM

When my son was PTing I first started with a cute little spongebob seat that had a "shield" on it to keep the pee in the toilet.  I ended up taking it off b/c he kept racking himself on it and it wasn't working well anyways.   So then we took off the seat for pees and I had him sit backwards.   It was easier for him to lean his body forward so that the pee went in the toilet.   And our catch phrase was PEE IN THE HOLE!  

I tried the cherrio thing, (aim for the cherrio)...but sitting backwards worked the best for us.   

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 9 Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I used several different potty seats and found the fisher price turtle potty to be the most effective at keeping the pee in the toilet.  The seat part angles down toward the front and the gaurd is wide and high.  DS can still pee over it sometimes.  I also have had a hard time teaching DS to direct the pee downward.  He just turned 2 and it took about 4 months of me directing it for him and teaching him to do it himself for it to start to click.  He's not consistent with it yet, but with the turtle potty seat and some directing, the amount of pee on the floor is decreasing greatly.  I know lots of people say to sit a boy backward, and that makes sense, but DS is too little to straddle the regular potty seat.  His knees wouldn't even go to the side of the seat if that makes sense, so his legs were always straight.  I don't know how to describe it, but he was too little and it just didn't work for us. 

Keep trying!  and don't stand in front of him biggrinbounce.gif

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM

I second having him face backwards. I have two boys and it worked beautifully for them.

Proud Mommy to my amazing boys (6 and 4) and my precious little girl (18 months).

#5 of 9 Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 PM

Once my ds graduated from the potty seat on the floor he just used the adult seat on the toilet. I bought one of those seats that have the built in childs seat and within a couple of weeks he didn't like using it. It was pretty funny looking but he would hang his bum down in the toilet, It didn't look very comforable to me but he was happy with it. Still there was a stage that he would pee through the crack in the seat especially when pooping.....to much to concentrate on I guess.

#6 of 9 Old 05-28-2011, 08:38 AM

At two we got DS a small step stool and he just peed in the toilet standing like his dad.  They had a few "sword fights" to get the hang if the aim thing, and I did get a few wet seat surprises in the middle of the night at first, but in a few weeks he got the hang of it.  It is so much more natural for boys to pee standing up IME.  Plus the stool acted as a foot rest for when he needed to go (or wanted to try) #2 making it infinitely less scary and more appealing to him.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#7 of 9 Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 PM

Well, I know of two ways to get them to aim, but they are not for sitting down. One is a song, the other is a game.

Song (sung to the tune of Alouette):

Urination

Takes Coordination

Urination

Takes a steady hand

First you take your penis out! Then you aim it at the pot!

Penis out! At the pot! Oh!

Game:

Get those corn starch packing peanuts (the ones that dissolve when wet) and toss one in the toilet. Ask your son to aim at it and try and get it to dissolve completely.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#8 of 9 Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the replies...we are still working on it. Standing is a no-go at the moment, but heres hoping he'll pick up the right "moves" through observation at daycare.And Lillitu, I love the song by the way.....it's so cute!!

#9 of 9 Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 AM

Wow I never thought of having him sit backwards. What a great idea. I'm going to try that.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page