S/O at what age do you feel comfortable leaving a child alone in a shower? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

I realize this might apply more to older children than toddlers, but it's a spin off of the stepping out when a toddler is in the bath thread, and we do showers here more than baths. When do you feel a child can be in the shower safely without 100% supervision? 

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#2 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a stand alone shower and I put dd (4) and ds (2.5) in all the time and while I dont go sit in the living room or anything I will fold clothes on my bed or do housework in my room/office (connected to the bathroom) But I can hear them at all times and most of the time chatting or singing songs.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 AM

We only have a shower and not a bath tub, so my 20 month old son's been taking showers with us basically since his cord fell off.  He looooves to play on the floor of the shower, and I often leave him in while I get out and towel myself off, put on moisturizer, etc in the same room.  

I think I'd feel okay leaving him and popping into another room for a minute-- I think the danger in our particular shower setup is minimal.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#4 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM

MY 4 yr old and 19 mo old shower together and I will step out to get a diaper for after shower or whatever I've forgotten. Though I usually stay in the bathroom for book reading time.

I had been thinking about posting this question...so thanks for posting!

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#5 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM

All of my kids can shower on their own  (and really, no one takes baths at this point).  They are 4, 6, 8, and 10.  That doesn't mean I'm not upstairs in the master bedroom when my younger two are taking a shower directing them ala "don't forget to wash your butt!"  LOL - but I don't worry about their safety as I would if they were in a bathtub. 

this is a stand-alone shower, so the risk of it filling up is pretty minimal considering there isn't a switch to stop the drain.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page