hitting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you handle a 2.5 year old who hits you or a sibling? I've tried explaining hands are not for hitting and that it hurts others. I've asked him if anyone in the family hits and ask that he does not either. I've read books to him about gentle hands, etc but its not working. It seems like DS has the impulse to hit and just does it w/o thinking.  I notice he hits more when he is tired, or hungry but he will also hit his brother just to get attention.

I don't want my 8 yr old feeling like I am not protecting him by letting his little brother hit. I also don't want him to begin hitting peers. Furthermore, I don't like getting hit!  I know it can be common for kid's to go through a hitting/physical stage but HOW do I help him work past it?

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 4 Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 PM

I'd like some ideas on this too. My son is almost 2.5 and he's going through the same thing. Today we went to the park and he slapped me as soon as soon as I wouldn't let him get on the big kids swings.

I pulled him aside and explained that we don't hit, etc... and then he did it again. So I took him home. Usually his hitting is accompanied by a high pitched scream. Sigh.

My son is a lot like me when he gets angry... his temper builds up, he gets mad and freaks out, and then he's fine like nothing ever happened. My answer to this has been to remove him from the situation but I wonder if there is a more effective way.

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#3 of 4 Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM

My 2.5 year old hits too. She usually does it out of frustration. I've been working on showing her better ways to cope with her frustration/anger. I ask her if she is angry, then ask her why. Then we play the 'facial expression' game, where I ask her to show me different emotions. It isn't the greatest solution, but the hitting has reduced significantly. 

Heather treehugger.gif wife to Nate partners.gif and Mommy of Ella (08/05/08) dust.gif and Anya (02/28/10) fairy.gif. Might be pregnant with #3! We homeschool.gifselectivevax.gif,  bftoddler.gif, and familybed2.gif. Trying for uc.jpg

#4 of 4 Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 AM

In our house we simply say "people are for loving not hitting" and send the child to timeout. No yelling, no long discussions in the heat of the moment (we discuss it at a different time - and  for my older kids we discuss a better way to handle the situation).

Proud Mommy to my amazing boys (6 and 4) and my precious little girl (18 months).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page