Is your house clean? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 06-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

AE is 2 yrs 3 mnths old and our home is pretty clean. Considering we are waldorf inspired, minimalism is the key.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#32 of 42 Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 AM

Don't feel bad. We live in a developing country and can afford here to have someone help clean our 800 sq ft apartment 3 mornings a week, me cleaning the other days of the week, and it's still a mess so much of the time.There's a lot of dust where we live and it's truly impossible to keep things dust-free. Our water occasionally turns off as well as our electricity so that doesn't really help. I have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old. In the states it drove me crazy if my kitchen was a mess and it still drives me crazy here but hospitality is a huge value where we live so every day I first make sure that our living room is presentable for welcoming any drop-by guests, that my teafal is full of water to make tea, and then choose one other thing that I MUST get done. Everything after that is a bonus. I also try to take an hour (right now) while my 2 yr old is napping to read, email, whatever - I set up my 4 yr old with an activity and sit in the same room as her - just resigned to being interrupted but it's better than nothing. Then I let her do another activity or help me with food prep or cleaning - her choice. Good job moms! Just reading your posts is both comforting and inspiring :)

#33 of 42 Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Clean kitchen? You betcha! Clean house? No way! I pick my battles, and I've decided a clean top to bottom house is not the hill I want to die on. I do my best and keep a checklist so at least most things get cleaned about once a month.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#34 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM

nope! My house currently is "clean enough" meaning, it's picked up, but far from clean. If I spent every moment cleaning, I'd never sit down, so no. I don't think it's possible unless you have a live-in housekeeper. Who does that!?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#35 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM

amen to that! DH is a borderline horder and leaves a trail as well. My house probably would be pretty clean if his priorities for a clean house were the same as mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicviolin View Post

I have a 2 year old and a newborn and a 40 lb dog...oh yes and a hubby who is famous for leaving a trail of things behind him and then getting grouchy that he can't find something.  MEN!  Anyhoo...

DS likes to rearrange things (aka play with something then leave it blah blah).  He is very good at picking up blocks, not always good with putting books on shelves. 

Currently my house is cleaner and neater than usual because I've been taking the time to do it because otherwise it annoys me.  However, I haven't figured out how to juggle that, taking care of the kids/hubby, cooking (I cook everything from scratch) and practicing (I am a concert violinist) consistently.  I'll get a good month or 2 in and then a dry spell.  Hmmm...any ideas?

OOh since I had the baby a few weeks ago my MIL (LOVE HER!) comes over every other week and does a basic deep clean.  Then I'll go over and get stuff that she missed etc.  biglaugh.gif

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#36 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM

yes, but it took a lot of planning.  my current toddler is our second, so we knew what we were in for.  we moved into this house just as he was getting mobile and we set the house up babyproofed rather than doing it as we went along.  there are no drawers to dump, books on low shelves, etc etc.  i purge regularly, and everything that we own has a "home" where it "lives" so that there is no floating stuff in the house.  im one of those people who needs a clean space in order to relax.  my husband is home with the kids now and he is not a natural cleaner but we have a system that works and we manage to keep things where they go, vacuum twice a week, clean the bathroom and kitchen once a week, do the dishes after meals etc. 

we have two boys, a dog, and three indoor cats and dont spend a huge amount of time on keeping it clean. have you read flylady?  i think her stuff is kind of excessive but she does have some good tips.  like wiping the bathroom down every morning.  it takes me three minutes before i get into the shower, and that way the bathroom stays ok until its weekly cleaning. 

#37 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhead View Post

yes, but it took a lot of planning.  my current toddler is our second, so we knew what we were in for.  we moved into this house just as he was getting mobile and we set the house up babyproofed rather than doing it as we went along.  there are no drawers to dump, books on low shelves, etc etc.  i purge regularly, and everything that we own has a "home" where it "lives" so that there is no floating stuff in the house.  im one of those people who needs a clean space in order to relax.  my husband is home with the kids now and he is not a natural cleaner but we have a system that works and we manage to keep things where they go, vacuum twice a week, clean the bathroom and kitchen once a week, do the dishes after meals etc. 

we have two boys, a dog, and three indoor cats and dont spend a huge amount of time on keeping it clean. have you read flylady?  i think her stuff is kind of excessive but she does have some good tips.  like wiping the bathroom down every morning.  it takes me three minutes before i get into the shower, and that way the bathroom stays ok until its weekly cleaning. 

I love flylady, but I agree that it can feel like overkill.  I tried starting a control journal and all that, and realized that I just don't have that much time to focus on it all...lol.  I just like her tips as well... like the bathroom wipe down, and the "load a day keeps CHAOS away" thing.  

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

#38 of 42 Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 AM

We have a 3.5 yo & 16 mo old & I watch a 21 mo old M-F...and we have 2 inside only cats.  Our house has been on the market almost a year & keeping it really clean has nearly killed me!!!  We have frequent showings so at any point in time, I could get a call & have only an hour's notice.  I do tend to be a neat/tidy person, but keeping up with the floors (whole house is wood or tile), dust, cat hair, baseboards full of dust/cat hair, ceiling fans full of dust/cat hair is tough.  It has meant a little more TV time in our house than originally planned. 

Finally, after 2 offers fell through, we think we may have a signed contract by tomorrow & will (fingers crossed) get our offer accepted on the new house (we are moving an hour North to my hometown to be near my whole family).  The new house we hope to get is a little bit better set up for our family & I feel like I will be able to keep up with things more.  And as I am packing up this house, I am going to keep in mind a game plan to keep half the toys, crafts, puzzles, books packed away for a rotation schedule going forward.  I think that will help me out a little.

No matter what the situation, where I live & what stage of my life I am in...the one thing I can never keep up with is laundry.  It's my kryptonite.  Sometimes it all gets folded & put away but there are days we end up getting ourselves dressed from a laundry basket of clean, unfolded clothes.  Sheepish.gif

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#39 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 AM

Yep. House is clean. It is pretty easy if kept under control.

I make it a point to clean the kitchen every night after dinner ... no soaking dishes, etc. Awhile back we had an ants scouting and I had to get a bit nuts about crumbs. We have a Roomba that goes off in the living room and kitchen every morning at 4am. My husband has to pick up toys at the end of the night and prepare the room for the Roomba when I'm getting our daughter down. Since it is done daily the messes don't have time to fester. I also drop it into the other rooms while we are out once every week or so.

I have this rule about everything having a place, including toys. That really helps.

During the day I do laundry and tidying with some wipe down of surfaces using seventh generation wipes. I also usually unload the dishwasher when DD is in her chair at the table eating lunch. 

DD is almost 18 months and likes to clean. So I give her a vegetable cellulose sponge to help "clean". I did make the mistake of mopping the floor with a wet swiffer and DD ran into the bathroom and slid ... so I won't be doing that again. I'm thinking about getting a carpet sweeper that DD can use that is recommended by a Montessori site.

Basically, we aren't here to entertain her 24/7. DD is slowly being incorporated into our pattern and as she gets older she accepts more responsibility. Right now that is sometimes putting her clothes (and other toys) into the hamper and wiping her table off after eating. She doesn't do this every time but it is offered. She is totally into it. I reorganize closets, move stuff around ... it seems like there is always some little project to do and if it is safe for DD to be around I usually go for it and add in some time for her to tinker with.

But then again maybe I have a low maintenance kid. She is demanding sometimes but then we just go to the park. The big trick is to not expect to do any fast cleaning and be open to the possibility that it will be boring to DD or it will become a huge focal point. But it gets done, eventually. Honestly I can't imagine interacting with DD without folding or wiping or putting things away and cleaning with her ... it is one of our major activities. She loves getting into cabinets with me and pushing around the laundry basket. I'm curious now ... what do other people do?

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#40 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

duck.gifwe have one room that is for guests if they come, and it is forbidden for my kids to go into that room...so it is always tidy...mischievous.gif....and i like this room in the evenings in case the rest of the house is a disaster so that i can relax there, read a book, play piano and feel clean...eyesroll.gif

other than that I do clean but not much, there is a girl who comes to help once a month or so and we do Major cleaning. and also having a habit of telling the kids "first let's remove the books and stuff off the floor and then we'll do painting" does help a lot!

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#41 of 42 Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Yes, my house is clean. it's not spotless, though.

When DD is awake, there are crumbs on the table and toys and books all over the living room. As soon as she goes down for a nap or to sleep for th night, they get picked up. DH and I try to clean up as we go, so there isn't a huge mess to clean up every week. 

I have to vacuum every day or else the dog hair ruins my life, and I don't like to have food and spills on the counters, as we have a very old house and if we aren't careful about keeping food stored properly, we will get mice. I tend to clan the bathroom while DD is in the bath, and then wash the tub while DH puts her in a new diaper and pyjamas. I do find myself with a day or two home alone (we have subsidized daycare and have to use at least 25 hours a week, and I'm not in school full time for the Spring), and that's when I do the big projects like cleaning out under the stairs, laundry (DD likes to "help" and it just can't be done with her around). I mop the floors and do general tidying as soon as she is in bed, so I have a couple hours to relax and watch TV or whatever int he evenings.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#42 of 42 Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 PM

On a busy day I do about 2 hours of cleaning per day, on a day where were in the house I do closer to 4 hours of cleaning. Everyone in the house is always taking on elaborate projects, that are constantly being cleaned up. *sigh* I might have less of a mess on my hands if there was a t.v.! 

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page