Flying alone, 14 hours with a Lap Baby! Help and ideas! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On long flights you can walk around the plane. There is also an area you can stand in the middle of the airplane.

I would plan on taking lot of little walks while it is safe to do so.

Bring lots of snacks ( turkey! This naturally makes people sleepy)  and maybe a portable DVD player and some favorite dvd's.

Books for stories, markers and paper.
If you are sitting near a window - a squirt bottle with water in it and a towel to dry. This something that they never get to touch - my daughter could spend hours squirting.. You can also have him squirt a rag and into cups. 

Remember he will be sleeping some of the time.

Good luck! Please let us know how it turned out!

Birthpower AWARENESS CAMPAIGN - Do you have your button yet?   www.BirthPower.us      

Did you ROCK that VBAC or Natural Birth? Honor yourself with a Birthpower Necklace! & Empowered Birth Lawn Sign!

PLEASE join our yearly-  EMPOWERED BIRTH AWARENESS WEEK.     

#32 of 44 Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM

I fly home every year too and lots in between I always do at least one leg alone. So for me that is a 12-13 hour flight, a layover of 3-4 hours then another 1 hour flight. This year I am staying 24 hours then taking another 5 hour flight. So all and all I'll be doing A LOT of flying alone with a 3 year old and a 15 month old. Here is my plan

- My kids never slept in that basentt thingy so I tell them not to bother. It does make a great table for colouring or sticker books though. It also makes a nice fort to sit under. For sleeping I made a little nest on the ground. 

- Eating is the hardest part. Tell the cabin crew to serve you only one meal at a time and do it towards the end of service. Then let them know that you'll need your tray picked up ASAP. If they don't come quickly I put the tray on the floor. Better that way than flung on the walls.

- I bring a few packs of raisins or something and give them out very very slowly. One in my hand and get them to open on of my fingers at a time. Since put in and take out is such a hit at that age I also put one or two snacks in one cup and give them a second cup to transfer snacks to and from

- We have these little bags called ispy from etsy. They are little fabric bags with plastic beads and a bunch of treasures like a little shoe, puzzle piece, penny etc in it. You push the plastic beads around to find all the little toys in there. My 3 year old still loves it.

- I take them to a bookstore the day of the flight and let them pick out a new book that they can't read until we get on the plane. 

- I have a small backpack that I put a few new toys in. An old wallet with old cards is both my kids favorite and it only comes out for flights.

- The pocket on the bulk head can be emptied and filled with toys and books over and over and over

- We download a few apps for the ipod. Tumble books and duck duck moose are always hits and they have a few different ones so they don't get bored.

It's not so bad with just one little monkey! Have a good trip!

Homebirthing Mama to busy DD (2008), cuddly DS (2010) and midwife to be
#33 of 44 Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM

You will do great!  You can do it!  It looks like you already have lots of great suggestions, but I will add a couple:

-take lots of walks around the plane.  You will probably find some other older kids who will be happy to make faces at your dc for a few minutes.

-practice changing diapers with your dc standing up.  This will be easier than trying to cram dc onto the tiny changing table in the bathroom

-pack a small diaper kit, with just a couple diapers, wipes, maybe some hand sanitizer.  that way you can pull it out when you need to go back to the bathroom, instead of dragging your whole diaper bag

-bring a sippy cup for yourself, in case you want to drink something that's not in a sealed bottle

-wrap a few of the small toys you bring.  Makes them seem more fun and exciting

-pack lots of plastic zip-loc type bags.  They come in handy for all kinds of things

-toys that have worked for us: small flashlights, aqua-doodle coloring books (they sell these at the airport sometimes; they come with a brush that you fill up with water; the pages can be used over and over after they dry out; no mess), small coin purse (fun to hide things in), small finger puppets, "vocabulary" type board books with a million photos of everyday objects; rolls of tape; lots of new snacks

Good luck!  And remember, it's just one day out of your life.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#34 of 44 Old 06-11-2011, 06:16 AM

You can always ask before you get on the plane if they would be willing to seat you where there is no one in front of you, to avoid kicking the seat, and if you cant move then, ask people to switch you seats once you get on!  A lot of people will be willing to trade to avoid a screaming child on a flight!  And nurse nurse nurse if you can get the kiddo to.  It will keep them quiet, and help with ear popping, maybe even get them to fall asleep!  I havent flown that far, but we flew with a 6 month old for several hours, and will be flying again with our 16 month old next week for a couple hours.  Good luck to you, and definitely keep reminding yourself that even if its not great, its just one day!

Rockstar, hippie, pirate mama to W (3-2-10), wifey to S for 2 years and going strong

selectivevax.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  treehugger.gif

http://piratelady2525.blogspot.com/
#35 of 44 Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I am so floored by the number of responses offering such great tips and advice! It means so much to me and is going to be sooo helpful! love.gif

I'll definitely come back and let you ladies know how it all went and which ideas worked for us.

Thank you so much!

yaboobarb likes this.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#36 of 44 Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've only skimmed thru the responses - sorry if this has been mentioned already. 

If I may add one more thing - I've always found the air onboard to be very dry. If you're still nursing - definitely nurse often and don't forget to drink often yourself.  For 'entertainment' and if things get desperate, there's always juice on the plane.  I don't give my kids any juice at that age - but when everything else failed I did try apple juice/water mixture, or straight apple juice for long travels, which worked great.

Many good wishes for your travel!

hakeber likes this.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#37 of 44 Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Banned

I did a transatlantic flight with a lap baby (I am also an expat). A couple of things I didn't see mentioned. First, find out what the "bassinet" is. On our flight, we were given a bassinet that was a cardboard box somewhat reminiscent of those temporary cat carriers you get from the vet. Without the handle, of course. We also had to be in the bulkhead seats which meant no under seat storage for my older DD's toys. I couldn't bring myself to put him in the bassinet but he did stand in it for a while.

My baby is not the best sleeper at home but he really did sleep a lot while I watched movies. Something about being on an airplane made him tired.

Good luck. IME, babies travel easier than preschoolers so hopefully it will go well.

#38 of 44 Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 AM

I can't wait to find out what worked!

Birthpower AWARENESS CAMPAIGN - Do you have your button yet?   www.BirthPower.us      

Did you ROCK that VBAC or Natural Birth? Honor yourself with a Birthpower Necklace! & Empowered Birth Lawn Sign!

PLEASE join our yearly-  EMPOWERED BIRTH AWARENESS WEEK.     

#39 of 44 Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM

This has already been mentioned, but if you see someone who seems to smile a lot at you/your baby or just seems generally interested, offer to let them hold him!  Every time I've flown, I've wished someone would let me hold their baby/kid - I'm pregnant with my first now and I've always loved children.  Of course I never offered 'cause I didn't wanna seem like a weirdo redface.gif but I would've been thrilled to hold/cuddle/entertain a baby for a while!  If your son is happy to go to new people and you feel comfortable about them, go ahead and do it - it takes a village, right? Good luck!

#40 of 44 Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Wow!  What great suggestions!  I'm bookmarking this thread for sure!

I swear by Rescue Remedy!  I don't know if you can get it where you are but you can get it in the states for the trip home.  I usually order it from vitacost.com as their prices are much better than Whole Foods or Health Food Stores.  I use it for myself and for my kiddos and they love it!  It's all natural flower essences and it really does seem to calm everybody down.  I tend to get very worked up in tense situations (the only child in me I guess) and like another poster said, when mama's worked up so is baby wink1.gif

Another thing that might be helpful is a CD called First Flight by ZenTots on iTunes.  It helps get your babe used to all the sounds they'll hear on a typical flight in the hopes that it won't freak them out.  Might be worth a try, especially if your LO is prone to getting upset in new situations.  

Above all - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!  Have a very safe and happy flight, and enjoy your visit!

#41 of 44 Old 06-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Hi,  Funny because I just took a 17 hr flight from LA to Bangkok with my 11.5 month old.  i was flying with my husband though.  We didn't have an extra seat, and the bassinet was already taken.  But I agree with you, it wouldn't have been much use, but the extra leg room would have been nice.

Honestly, DS slept on my Boob for a lot of the flight, more than I thought..  and the few hours that he was awake, we played with some toys, gave him some snacks and he flirted with other passengers... It really wasn't as bad as I thought.. so don't worry too much about it.

BUT, since your flying alone, the one thing that may be hard will be eating... because me and my husband traded off for meals...  Here are some snacks that  helped us a lot to keep him occupied while we ate..

1. those rice thingies called "Mum Mums"- he can hold these and feed himself and keeps him very occupied.

2. Little rice puff O's

3.  those tubes of food "Plum or Happy baby"- can squirt it right into their mouth with one hand while you eat with the other.

also here are some toys that he really liked

1. a plastic brightly colored jump rope from target... - it was great because it wasn't something that he could keep dropping and we have to constanlty pick up... we kind of just strung it on the tray and he fiddled with it for a while.

2. I read about blue painters tape, and we brought that and it was an okay distraction. It's cheap and he can stick it on and off of things.

3. books, he loves books so that helped.

good luck, and you'll be just fine, even if it's bad, it will be over in 14 hours :-)

#42 of 44 Old 06-15-2011, 03:43 PM

There are some great tips here! I thought I'd jump in with a few of my own - sorry if any of them have already been mentioned. I've done the UK to Australia with my 2 boys three times now (twice with DS1, once with both of them). 24 hours total round trip. I'm also an expat, so I totally understand the need to fly.

- I found that the sets of brightly coloured toy links worked really well for keeping toys in check. I made a chain out of them and attached one end to the toy, the other end to the tray table/cup holder. They also work great at keeping toys attached to a high chair/stroller.

- Even if you are baby wearing, I'd take a small umbrella stroller. They work as luggage trolleys too! Especially useful if you happen to be transferring through an airport with no trolleys after security.

- Someone else mentioned making sure that you drink enough. I second that! And also the recommendation for Bach Rescue Remedy.

- If you can get your babe to do standing diaper changes that is great. If not, make sure you have a cushy changing pad or blanket. The change tables are HARD. I used a small tote as my change bag, with a few diapers, wipes and a spare change of vest and soft leggings for my son. I 'restocked' the bag with diapers on our layover.

- I think I got this tip from Eclipsepearl's blog (mentioned earlier) - but ziplocks are your friend. My husband thought I was nuts, but organising our carryon's into ziplocks really helped me keep my sanity. And made sure that if anything spilt into our bag then our change of clothes, spare diapers etc were dry. If you don't want to use ziplocks, then cloth bags could work just as well, the downside is that you could not then see the contents at a glance like you can with ziplocks.

- My last bit of advice - Don't stress about the people around you. If they can see you are doing what you can to keep babe occupied they will be sympathetic. If they aren't sympathetic, ignore them. Do what you have to do to keep yourself and babe happy. And enjoy your trip!

Perpetually distracted mama to Matthew and Micah
#43 of 44 Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesunshine View Post

- My last bit of advice - Don't stress about the people around you. If they can see you are doing what you can to keep babe occupied they will be sympathetic. If they aren't sympathetic, ignore them. Do what you have to do to keep yourself and babe happy. And enjoy your trip!

Agreed!  I just flew with my 15 month old and he did great until the last leg of our journey, when he got a little fussy from traveling so much.  I just did my best to distract and console him, and most of the people around us were very sympathetic and didnt mind.  The man next to us even tried making silly faces at him, and when he got fussy the guy just put his headphones on so he didnt have to listen to it.  Perfect solution!  If anyone gives you grief about your kiddo, just tell them to put their headphones on! haha

Rockstar, hippie, pirate mama to W (3-2-10), wifey to S for 2 years and going strong

selectivevax.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  treehugger.gif

http://piratelady2525.blogspot.com/
#44 of 44 Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 PM

On our first international flight with ds (he was about 6 months old) I actually brought earplugs to give out if ds started crying uncontrollably. He did fine, and I kept the earplugs, but it was nice to know I had them, in case anyone complained.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page