Dental Crisis in 15 month old - PLEASE HELP - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have 4 kids.  #1 had his first cavities--one very small but filled because they were doing the other--this Feb. at almost 6.5   #2 age 4 has none.

#3, age 2.5 just had his anesthetic surgery last Tuesday to have 3 silver caps put on molars and the 4 front repaired with tooth colored material.   :(:(:(

The difference I see with mine is not night-nursing.  Both #2 and #3 night nursed past a year old.

The difference I see is #3 had a LOT more candy at a younger age--because of siblings and because Daddy was home more.  (*I* am not a big candy buyer, I am more likely to buy a toy that costs a buck lol)

Also #1 and 2 drank a lot more milk and a lot less juice than #3.  When I say 'a lot' though I mean they consistently drank milk before bedtime and usually also in the morning and almost always at naptime.  Again, *I* rarely offered juice, though I would give it if *they* brought it up---DH considers it a necessity.

I cried when I found out DS #2 had SEVEN cavities  :(  I also feel really guilty, but I have to keep reminding myself of things like it could be just plain bad luck--DH's teeth are in far worse condition than mine.

I am learning about Weston Price too and starting to follow a few things.  I think my next project will be to learn broth....it's one that sounds easier the more I hear and read about it, and it is also one that should easily fit even our limited budget.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 AM
JMJ

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Peaceful_mama, the factors you mention could certainly play a role, and it could also have to do with birth order/spacing.  Traditional cultures tended to space babies at least 3 years.  A lot of people underestimate the nutrition required of the mother to gestate and nurse a baby, and it takes some time to rebuild her supply.  As a result, younger siblings and siblings born closer together are more likely to have problems.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post

How do you use xylitol? Is it added to food/drink, or is it applied directly to the teeth?

We mix it with her water and let her sip on it all day.  I also spinkle it on her toothbrush with the pascalite clay!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Another update:  she is responding wonderfully to the diet changes.  We have cut out ALL grains with the exception of occasional sprouted sourdough - she only gets this a couple times a week.  I've been making bone broth soup like crazy.  She loves it!  And liver - my goodness can this girl tear up some liver!

I'm currently giving her Carlson's for Kids cod liver oil, but thinking of switching to Green Pastures because I understand the quality and potency is better.  Any thoughts?

Thank you for the comment about scrubbing the enamel off - I've been worried about the same thing, it's hard to find a balance.  As soon as she eats not my first instinct is to get her teeth clean.  I've moved away from using toothpaste and we're mainly using the pascalite clay to brush, with a little xylitol sprinkled on sometimes.  I'm making a paste with the clay as well and "packing" the tongue-side of her teeth with it while she's sleeping.

As far as the night nursing - ladies, I'll be honest, we're having difficulty with cutting back.  And I'm a firm believer that if it doesn't feel right, don't do it!  So she's nursing as much as ever during the night.  I brush right before she goes down and right when she wakes up.  I just can't cut her off - I've been able to soothe her back to sleep through pats, hugs, whispers and kisses a few times but if that doesn't work - she gets the boob!

The cell salts seem to be making a difference too.  I'm truly just amazed at how it's all working.

Can someone give me more info about Butter Oil?  Where to get it, brands, etc?  Should I just order from Green Pastures with the cod liver oil?  Also, I'm giving her the cod liver oil twice a day (approx 1/2 teaspoon each time) - is that enough?  She's 15 months and 26lbs.  Thanks again for all your advice and guidance!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchimes4 View Post

hi :) I don't have personal experience with this, but I remembered reading on one of my favorite blogs about this issue. This mama stopped her DD's tooth decay at home with mostly bone broths and other diet changes. She explains more in this entry:

http://lusaorganics.typepad.com/clean/2010/02/natural-toothpaste-tutorial.html

Her DD still ended up with caps because the damage that was done couldn't be reversed, but they prevented any more from happening. She also writes:

"Heres how we did it (and her decay stopped within one month of starting what I describe below. We did have caps done because the decay was sever before we figured it out and we werent willing to have her lose her teeth while we figured it out).

There is an amazing thread on Motherings Community Pages:http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=399989 It is an exhaustingly long read, but so worth the nights you will spend working your way through it. That was our jumping off point. What most of my research pointed to was a vitamin D deficiency, something that is amazingly common. Also, Canada just released a study last month (this month?) confirming this. Mothers with low vitamin D levels had babes with decay.

I should do a tooth care post sometime, but to get you by here is our basic framework:

1. Eat primarily traditional foods, including grass fed raw milk, limited refined foods, limited dried fruit. Focus on whole foods, meats, broth, veggies, live food.

2. Make bone broth and consume (ideally daily) at least 4 times per week (easy to do when you cook your grains and beans in it)
3. Brush without toothpaste! (Gylcerin in toothpaste impedes the ability of teeth to remineralize) We brush with homemade toothpaste that is something like this (http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/08/going-fluoride-free.html) or homemade tooth powder (without abrasives like baking soda).

The two points that follow are key...
4. Supplement with Vitamin D (2500 IU) and Vitamin A (25,000 IU) daily. We do this in the ideal form of High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil (http://www.greenpasture.org/community/). Expensive, but worth it!

5. Suppliment with Butter Oil (Also from Green Pasture), 1/2 tsp/day

Let me know if I can help more. There is a great book I recommend as well. Thought I have only read excerpts, I am about to purchase it to read completely. It seems right on track. http://www.curetoothdecay.com/"

Found all that here: http://lusaorganics.typepad.com/clean/2009/11/raw-granola-recipe.html?cid=6a010535f3a090970c0120a6d8c14e970b#comment-6a010535f3a090970c0120a6d8c14e970b

hope this helps :)

Can I get the Butter Oil/Cod Liver blend from Green Pastures?  Or do I need to buy them seperately? :)

Old 06-16-2011, 01:49 PM

We went through this last year with my youngest.  It was hard.  We ended up having the front four teeth capped, although NOT under general.  We did it in the office with sedation and it turned out ok.  Since having it done, we haven't had any problems.  Feel free to PM me about it.  It was terribly traumatic on me, but she seemed fine within an hour of the procedure and I was with her the entire time.  Wouldn't have it any other way.  Good luck.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

User Tag List