Two year old's bedtime routine stretching into infinity :) Time to give up the nap? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas

My two year old has, over the past two months or so, gone from a very easy twenty-minute sleep routine to taking 90 minutes to get to sleep.  During that time, he has given up nursing to sleep.  But the rocking, back rubbing, parenting to sleep thing just isn't working.  Neither does laying him down in his bed by himself.

Could the problem be that he still naps?  He could easily sleep three hours a day, but I started cutting his naps short due to these bedtime struggles, so now he sleeps 90 minutes to two hours a day. 

Oh, we've done the same routine since about four months and, oddly enough, he has started sleeping for longer stretches at night since giving up nursing to sleep.

Thanks!

Any suggestions?

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#2 of 4 Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 AM

I think cutting the nap down is a great idea-would you be able to keep it to 90 min?  My boys never really napped that long at all, so I have no idea if it's hard to cut it down.  Does your partner help put your toddler to sleep?  Would that make a difference?  I found that when I weaned my first from nursing to sleep I couldn't put him to bed for awhile. 

I have to wear my kids out and get the timing right where they aren't overtired if I want an easy, quick bedtime.  Lots of neighborhood walks before dinner, and I've started doing dinner and bed pretty much right after unless they need a bath, in order for it to be a quick bedtime.  Otherwise if we eat and linger they get riled up again-a second wind.  Especially if my toddler hasn't napped that day! 

Good luck!  Wearing them out is my first line of defense always...but I know it's hard to do that when you've got to make dinner too.  Hope it gets better soon!  Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#3 of 4 Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Mary.  I know what you mean about wearing them out.  I often compare my two youngest to puppies - they need their daily run!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#4 of 4 Old 06-16-2011, 06:55 AM

Ha!  I call mine puppies too!  They definitely need that run!  I know how hard it is-it will get better and even out in time I'm sure.  Just keep going...maybe he just needs to get used to the new routine also.  Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page