Mothering Forum banner

Smile pretty!!

463 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PirateMommy 
#1 ·
Hoping to get a general concensus about fluoride toothpaste. My DS is 2 and 1/2. He isn't really spitting out his toothpaste properly yet but I've heard this is about the right time to get him on fluoride. I understand too much fluoride ingestion is bad for him/his teeth. Currently he uses a natural (no saccharine, no fluoride) toothpaste that I LOVE LOVE LOVE. It also comes with a fluoride option. Is it time to make the switch?

tb.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
we alternate between the two.
I have a friend with toothpaste swallowers for kids who don't take fluoride supplements and don't have fluoridated water. They got white spots on their teeth just from swallowing fluoride toothpaste. We use a non- fluoride most nights, and slip in a fluoride toothpaste every few nights.

#4 ·
Personally, I'm against ingesting fluoride, but okay with topical applications of fluoride. So if the child can spit, then fluoride toothpaste is okay. If you really feel the need to get fluoride on the kids teeth, take them to the dentist and have them apply that fluoride gel stuff. (And yes I know some fluoride is ingested when these things are used, but I have less of a beef with fluoride being applied to the teeth). Small amounts of fluoride toothpaste or okay, but I won't give my kid fluoride toothpaste regularly until they can spit.

#5 ·
I'm not 100% on whether or not our water is fluoridated. (It isn't well water, so it's possible). We don't drink our water though. It's barely legally safe. I know we get small amounts here and there but we are big fans of Brita. :) Alternating the pastes sounds like a good idea. Thank you.I've seen extremes of both scenarios (one kid with his teeth rotted out from lack of good oral hygiene/fluoride, and one whose teeth were discolored from too much.) Jusy trying to find a happy medium until he can spit it out better. Thank you everyone, for the input.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMommy View Post

I'm not 100% on whether or not our water is fluoridated. (It isn't well water, so it's possible). We don't drink our water though. It's barely legally safe. I know we get small amounts here and there but we are big fans of Brita. :) Alternating the pastes sounds like a good idea. Thank you.I've seen extremes of both scenarios (one kid with his teeth rotted out from lack of good oral hygiene/fluoride, and one whose teeth were discolored from too much.) Jusy trying to find a happy medium until he can spit it out better. Thank you everyone, for the input.
Do you mean a Brita filter?? Most filters do not filter out fluoride & many (most?) cities & towns do add fluoride to their water supply. And fluoride can also be absorbed through the skin (baths etc.) I would find out if your area fluoridates the water (and how much) before you decide how to proceed, because he may already be getting a lot more than you realize...

#9 ·
Sorry it took me so long to get back on here and say thank you for the tips. I got a report of what was in the water and opted to stick with the fluoride-free for now. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.