Coxsackie virus. . .please help me understand what to do! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Physically in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mentally in Anywhere, Else.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ladies,

DD, 17 months, has been diagnosed with HFMD and a double ear infection. This is our first time dealing with HFMD, and frankly, nothing could have prepared us. This is day four of 102 degree temp.  I've never seen this kind of behavior: rolling on the floor, screaming, hand in her mouth kind of pain, doesn't want to be held or touched most of the time, and then only by me. And the snot. OMG, the snot is unbelievable. (Is that HFMD or the ear infection?) We've tried everything over the counter to manager her fever and pain, and have a good handle on that now. She has seen her doctor. She will not eat or suck on ANYTHING.  I have to come up with some insanely creative ways to get her to sip water. She'll take about one sippy cup in the morning, and then we try to get another one in her throughout the day. She hasn't nursed in four days. Swallowing isn't an option at this time, apparently. This really sucks. Anyway, I have a grasp on this situation, but what I can't find is information on is how contagious this virus is, and for how long, after her fever breaks.

I'm pregnant. I was due last Tuesday. We are concerned about the baby. What the hell do we do? I believe we probably have 7 days before the baby arrives. If I'm lucky, maybe 10 days. DD was 2.5 weeks late. I hope the same for this LO.

Anyone been in this kind of situation? Anyone have any advice? The pedi said not to worry that DH and I won't get it, and LO won't be affected. . .although she didn't explain the reasoning behind this except that we are  most likely immune, and LO will have my antibodies. I did a search on this board and saw that plenty of mamas and dadas have indeed gotten this from their child so. . .???

Help, please.

TIA.

#2 of 4 Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Lidocaine.  I was given lidocaine by my doctor to put in my mouth before I ate when I had it as an adult.  (It sucks SERIOUS! @ss!)  It's really painful.  Ibuprofen for the pain, and some sort of topical 'caine to get rid of the pain enough to swallow are pretty much the only things.  You could try some chloraseptic type sore throat spray. 

I know none of that is particularly natural, but coxsackie is REALLY painful, and I'm willing to throw anything chemically engineering and concocted I could find at it to get the pain to GO! AWAY!

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#3 of 4 Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm sorry. hug2.gif The girls had it a couple years ago, DD2 refused to walk for over a week because her feet hurt so bad. Just take it one day at a time. HFMD is most contagious the first week, but you can spread it for weeks, that is exactly how we got it. A playdate mentioned they they had it 1.5-2 weeks ago and yep, sure enough, a few days later we got it. 

I'm not always a fan of the CDC but here is a decent link about it from them. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 AM

My ds got hfm when dd was about 6 weeks old and I was really upset about it. I was tandem nursing and DD never had any symptoms and is now 3 yo and has never had hfm although I know she has been exposed many times since birth. If you don't have any symptoms at this point you are probably clear - were you exposed at the same time as your dd? As far as treating the symptoms I agree with pp, it is very painful. I did a rotation of ibuprofen and tylenol for my ds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page