Two-year-old's language skills---is this 'normal'? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I've been doing a lot of reading on the toddler forums/GD forums and I happened to notice that a lot of 20 month old+ toddlers are using full sentences. My daughter (turned two last friday) talks a lot, but will only use one word at a time. She'll say 'train!' 'water!' 'balloon!' 'mama!' etc etc, the only time I've heard her say more than one word at a time was when she was talking about my sister and her kids and said all their names in a row 'Heidi-kairo-pen!' Other than that, it's all one word. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to help her start using fuller sentences?

#2 of 9 Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 AM

I think by age 2, they "should" be talking in 2-3 word sentences, but if she has a lot of words I personally would not be concerned yet.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#3 of 9 Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 AM

yeah.. our 20 month old will sometimes say things like NO MAMA or whatever but not consistently.  i think as long as there is a good vocabulary (which sounds like there is) and an attempt to communicate, it will happen soon.  you could encourage her to ask for more peas or whatever, if she can name something, she can prefix it with the word more, and that's usually the first sentence people get.  i wouldn't worry, though.  and i am not sure coaxing her to say sentences is the thing.. more like you model the simple strings she can say (like YOU say "more apple" and she'll eventually try)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 9 Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First, here's some language development info: http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopmenttracker/two/language.html

Second,there's a wide variety, and it's normal both to have a lot of language, and to just have individual words at that age. I have had one child who spoke complex complete sentences at 20 months, and one who was just using individual words. They're both fine - kids learn things in different orders, like one child might be learning language, while another might be concentrating on physical development at that time. You can google about when to worry about language delays, but I think you'll find your child is on track.
#5 of 9 Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 AM

My son was like your DD at age 2.  He knew names for objects and the only sentences he would say were "more please" and "up please".  His language skills really bloomed between last year and this year.  Now it's possible to have conversations with him.  He also likes to repeat everything.  We read a lot to him so that's probably helped.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#6 of 9 Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM

My son was like that at age 2. Now that he's 26 months he uses 2-3 word sentences consistently. It just happened over the last few weeks. We didn't do much different except that as I had more time to spend with him, we sang and read more together. I am also trying harder to converse with him.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#7 of 9 Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM

I agree with pps.  My ds is 22 months and just the other day used his first two-word combo (bubble, bath!).  I'm not counting "uppease" because he's been saying that for months, but I don't think he realizes that "up" and "please" are two different words. ; )  In the last few days he has used one or two other two-word combos.

The range of normal is wide.  At 19-20 months I wrote down all the words my dd said for 2 or 3 days.  I looked at it when ds was that age and tried to do the same with him (funny how I couldn't really keep up with it -- 2 kids is so much busier than 1!).  He didn't have nearly as many words as she did at the same age.  I have heard and read that boys are more likely to develop speech a little later than girls.

I think your lo is on track, just pay attention.  And as a pp said, even though he uses one word, when you repeat him to let him know that you understood you can use a sentence.  For example, when my ds says, "apple," I say, "you'd like an apple please?" and he often says, "apple please" after to confirm the request.

#8 of 9 Old 07-18-2011, 06:50 PM

Perfectly normal! Speaking in sentences at 20 months is somewhat advanced. Single words are very typical, and if she's got a lot of them, she'll be starting to combine them soon. Kids have different styles of learning. Our son started with single words, our daughter with sentences (you sort of got the intonation and the words got more distinct as time went on).

Talk to her like you normally would. Treat what she says as interesting. There's not much you can do to speed up this developmental timetable.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#9 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the responses! She does say more than 50+ words and learns new words every day. I also noticed that she said monkey on the bed, which sounded more like "monkeyonBED!" so I'm not worried anymore. I will definitely start reading with her more often and repeat what she says with a full sentence to try and help her along. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page