Is vaginal discharge normal in toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD, now 3, has been complaining of a booboo down there. She has had episodes in the past week where she said it hurt so badly she cried. I tried to look but she FREAKED out and won't let me spread the labial lips really get a good look. In that instance, she was red and irritated, so we let her go bare bum for a while, put some zinc cream on her and it seemed to clear up.

Recently, the irritation has cropped up again, but I've noticed that she still has white discharge around the vulvar area. Since she FREAKS whenever I try to clean there (this has me really concerned), I can't remove it...I'm wondering if this discharge is normal in little girls--seeing as older girls get various types of discharge throughout their cycle, or if, coupled with the irritation, it's a sign of infection.

I don't have a doctor to go to, so I'm sort of flying blind here, and I'd rather try to treat this at home first...Any ideas?

#2 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 PM

My 1st niece used to get yeast infections from the time she was an infant. Her vagina used to actually try to seal up when she was a baby.  I know you didn't mention any itching, but maybe if you can get her into a nice warm oatmeal bath, it would sooth her enough for you to be able to look at it? I would honestly get it checked out ASAP just to be certain it isn't anything serious. I hope you find the anwsers you're looking for and DD feels better!

Me (31) Hubby (31)

ecbaby2.gif L.J. 9/12/09   babyboy.gif C.A. 12/13/10

Hoping for stork-girl.gif  in 2012

www.fertilityfriend.com/home/360778/ 

#3 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 PM

WE just saw the ped today because DD(28 months) was complaining of pain.  She was red and irritated and the ped suggested we start by giving her 3-4 sits baths per day (just warm water).  We were given a prescription for an anti-fungal cream if the baths don't help.  I asked about the discharge and was told that it is normal though there can be more discharge than normal when there is an infection.

#4 of 6 Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 AM

dd has had off and on a whitish (kind of a little chunky?) discharge, which the ped said was normal. 

however with the redness and sensitivity you describe, it could be a yeast infection. 

if it's a yeast infection, i think an oatmeal bath might make it worse, though.  (but oatmeal baths are awesome for other itchy irritations for sure). 

if it's a yeast infection, home treatments for adult women would be to use yogurt or insert a clove of garlic (it works like crazy.. sew a string through it and insert it like a tampon)  but you're talking about a toddler.... i don't think you should insert anything but the plain yogurt on the outside might help. 

but if she's freaking about you even touching it to look at, will putting yogurt on it go over well?  i think, too, some of the zinc diaper rash creams might be antifungal and safe for that area. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#5 of 6 Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Another great home remedy for yeast infections is cider vinegar. Put some in a bath and just let her soak for awhile. Keep her dry and let her go diaper free or pants free to get some air.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 6 Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM

We tried yogurt last night.  She looks soooo much better this morning!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page