at what age did your kids learn their ABC's, counting, etc? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

at what age did your kids learn their ABC's, counting, etc?

LynnS6's Avatar LynnS6
07:33 PM Liked: 619
#31 of 42
07-25-2011 | Posts: 12,446
The PBS development tracker is very sound and has good benchmark milestones.
http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopmenttracker/two/index.html

It's important to note that the range of typical development is huge, and different kids work on different skills at different times. Our DS learned all his shapes and colors really early because we had a shape puzzle that he loved. He demanded to know each shape and each color and could do them all by about 20 months. When dd as 23 months I realized that she didn't know a single color word because she didn't ask and I hadn't thought to teach them.

I think it's also important to remember that reciting the alphabet or numbers is sort of like learning a song. Just because they know three words doesn't mean they know the concept. I remember putting together an alphabet train puzzle with ds when he was about 3 ½. Ibegan to sing the ABC song and point to the letters. It was like a lightbulb went on for him. That was the first time he realized that the words to the song meant something. (And he still didn't learn to read until 1st grade. )

crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy
05:05 AM Liked: 562
#32 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

How do you ladies work with your younger toddlers on letters, numbers, etc? We count a lot, and I talk at length to him about anything we see, but he is still a bit behind on the talking/more cognitive things.

He says very few words at 21 months, and none of them are identifying letters, numbers, colors of shapes. He can identify several animals on sight- he loves his animal books :)

Really, I would not stress about this at all. He will learn to do those things, there's really no reason he needs to know them at 1.5yo!! I don't think you need to do anything beyond casually expose him to the info and answer questions as they arise. Some people would even argue against introducing those things at all (i.e. Waldorf philosophies stress not rushing a child into reading & math, they don't teach it 'til after age 7 from what I understand). Your kid sounds very physical, so even more so may need time to just be a kid, conquer physical challenges, etc.
fullhandswith3's Avatar fullhandswith3
05:42 AM Liked: 0
#33 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 26

I don't know if you have heard but ABC Jesus Loves Me has a brand new free preschool curriculum for 2 Year Olds.  This joins the 3 and 4 Year Curriculum.  You can look at what it covers to give you an idea.  It is a prep website for Kindergarten so by the time the child has covered the curriculum, he/she will know what is needed for Kindergarten (and much more).

Hope this helps!

www.abcjesuslovesme.com - is the website

hildare's Avatar hildare
07:53 AM Liked: 382
#34 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 2,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

How do you ladies work with your younger toddlers on letters, numbers, etc? We count a lot, and I talk at length to him about anything we see, but he is still a bit behind on the talking/more cognitive things.

what we do is very much dependent on dd's personality.  she is MADLY driven, sometimes in an annoying (but positive) way.  she approaches abc's etc much the way she did crawling and walking.. that is, to obsess about it until she had mastered the task at hand.  the obsession is not always pretty, either.  we're smack in the middle of ABC land right now.  meaning that she demands to go "UP" where the computer is, where we watch little short clips of abc (i think the tilly and the wall sesame street abc is on repeat in my brain at this point) and will absolutely positively flip out when i deny the abc's.  (i have concerns about screen time.  that and i cannot stand.to.hear.the.song.one.more.flippin.time) 

so..... in the future, i am thinking montessori is a good fit for her as she is so motivated.  i have no idea where she gets this from.  i am much more laid back (read:disorganized) in my approach to learning.

is that normal or typical?  is anybody else's kid like this?  help?

hildare's Avatar hildare
07:55 AM Liked: 382
#35 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 2,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhandswith3 View Post

I don't know if you have heard but ABC Jesus Loves Me has a brand new free preschool curriculum for 2 Year Olds.  This joins the 3 and 4 Year Curriculum.  You can look at what it covers to give you an idea.  It is a prep website for Kindergarten so by the time the child has covered the curriculum, he/she will know what is needed for Kindergarten (and much more).

Hope this helps!

www.abcjesuslovesme.com - is the website

uh.... the kiddo needs to know about jesus to go to kindergarten?  wha?

Mal85's Avatar Mal85
08:03 AM Liked: 206
#36 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 2,352

My daughter is 2.5 years old (29 months to be exact) and she's just never been into learning things like that. She's a very physical child and her motor skills have always been more advanced than anything else. She has only recently become interested in singing her ABC's, but doesn't recognize any letters. She sort of counts "1,2,4,5" when she's gearing up to do something like race or jump into the pool. She has just recently started asking about colors, but really only recognizes blue so far. 

However, she is doing somersaults, running backwards, climbing her rock wall with no assistance, almost totally potty trained, etc. She's just a more physical kid and prefers to master her motor skills before anything else. I really don't worry about it, personally. I expose her just like any other kid, she's just not into it yet. I have a daycare kid one month older than her who is counting to 10, recognizes almost all the colors of the rainbows, knows her ABC's and recognizes the letters in her name. The trade off is that she's not nearly as advanced physically and those two have always been that way. 

sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09
08:07 AM Liked: 157
#37 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 3,400

Totally normal! She may be a touch spirited. My DD is hardcore spirited but not completely driven. All kids vary, I'd say yours is a leader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

what we do is very much dependent on dd's personality.  she is MADLY driven, sometimes in an annoying (but positive) way.  she approaches abc's etc much the way she did crawling and walking.. that is, to obsess about it until she had mastered the task at hand.  the obsession is not always pretty, either.  we're smack in the middle of ABC land right now.  meaning that she demands to go "UP" where the computer is, where we watch little short clips of abc (i think the tilly and the wall sesame street abc is on repeat in my brain at this point) and will absolutely positively flip out when i deny the abc's.  (i have concerns about screen time.  that and i cannot stand.to.hear.the.song.one.more.flippin.time) 

so..... in the future, i am thinking montessori is a good fit for her as she is so motivated.  i have no idea where she gets this from.  i am much more laid back (read:disorganized) in my approach to learning.

pranava's Avatar pranava
06:11 PM Liked: 127
#38 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

Yep, very driven and TOTALLY letter obsessed here!!!  He must have his fridge magnets with him at all times, including in the bathtub and in bed.  Also, he's constantly quizzing everyone around him on the sounds they make and the difference between vowels and consonants.  Try Starfall if your DD likes to watch abc stuff on the computer.

Blessed_Mom's Avatar Blessed_Mom
10:24 PM Liked: 45
#39 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post

Yep, very driven and TOTALLY letter obsessed here!!!  He must have his fridge magnets with him at all times, including in the bathtub and in bed.  Also, he's constantly quizzing everyone around him on the sounds they make and the difference between vowels and consonants.  Try Starfall if your DD likes to watch abc stuff on the computer.

What is starfall?

Marissamom's Avatar Marissamom
11:09 PM Liked: 69
#40 of 42
07-26-2011 | Posts: 1,535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

What is starfall?

Starfall.com is a Phonics teaching website, lots of letter-interested toddler/preschoolers/kindergartners love it. 

Happymom!
08:14 AM Liked: 0
#41 of 42
10-07-2014 | Posts: 1
The actual answer as to when your child should able to say abcs and count to ten is by kindergarten. People that post on forums often either exaggerate or are raising little geniuses. Remember that Einstein himself did not even talk until two years old! Your LO sounds perfectly on track! Keep on keeping on!
element2012's Avatar element2012
09:28 PM Liked: 46
#42 of 42
Today | Posts: 684
I think somewhere around 2 you begin to get a clear understanding of what your child's interests are. Mine is nearly three and has always been very interested in language, music, numbers and not interested in physical , fine motor, social. She's long known her ABCs, their sounds, can rote count very high and count objects, lots of colors and shapes. Danced before she walked. Knows many sight words and always asking what something says. Memorizes beginning reader books quickly so she can re enact them with her stuffed animals. So rather advanced in those areas. She takes a lot of coaching to get her to interact with other people. She was never the smiley, waving, happy baby to strangers and passersby. She has almost no interest in trikes, balance bikes, scooters, kicking or throwing balls or anything that requires physical effort. When we go to the park she's more likely to follow a beetle around than pay attention to another kid. I have to keep an eye because the more social kids want to play with her and get aggressive when she won't engage. So I think some kids jump ahead in one area or another perhaps neglecting others, and some kids have a more balanced approach.
Tags: None

Reply Subscribe Life with a Toddler

Quick Reply