September 2009, Moms and Kiddos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi Ladies! I saw our old thread on page 4... and just thought.. goodness.. we need to start fresh again. I've been lapsed, terribly. And I know many of us have had new babies.

We're approaching 2yrs old! How Crazy Is That!

Rowan is just enormous. 38lbs. Wearing 3T t-shirts, although still good at 18month pants. He is SO tall... I've had to replace pants twice in the past few months. He's still got his full belly, but lengthening out. And the teething is coming to a close.

He's starting to find his words, finally. He doesn't wave bye-bye, but says Strawberries and Blueberries. His mimickry is scary sometimes - still makes fish face when he says fishies (because I have always done that with him), and "WHOA" is his biggest word. Anything fascinating is "WHOA". No real sentences, but I understand his words so much more than anyone else. He says most easy things... all animals, most animal sounds, puzzle, book, a lot of different foods, all his needs. But he still relies on "eh eh eh". My friends are telling me I need to be enforcing "use your words", as though he's behind for his age. I dunno about this.

Ro is all about lining things up. He has his little cars that he drives all over every part of the house... but then I find them oddly lined up along the piano, or in the corner of the room - all the little eyeballs of the cars staring at you :-) His daycare says he has to line up all the outdoor play cars so they point the same direction, with the tires in line. I'll admit, I get a little Blair Witch when I walk into the room and see 7 trucks all perfectly aligned :-) daycare says this normally happens around 2.5yo, but totally normal. 

He is all about loving... finding me in pictures, kissing mommy in pictures, kissing his animals, making his animals kiss each other. We've transitioned to a toddler bed, which was trying for a whole 3 days and now he gets it. He wakes in the morning and comes into my bed and snuggles for a good time. I'm not as anti-TV as I thought I'd be - mornings we find Curious Buddies DVDs or Elmo (only with music). He won't watch TV that doesn't have music, which is ok with me. 

Personally, DP and I have been split for some time now and we have a great schedule. Ro seems to be doing great with it. Except he definitely has some mommy-itis. I love his friends at daycare but if I touch another child, he will Freak Out, push that child out of the way. We've been embracing summer and camping a lot with other families with kids and he is SO protective of me. The minute I touch someone else, he's right up on me. Our last camping trip, he simply never left my side - had to sit in my lap 24/7, which is not his norm at all. I'm not sure if this is a daddy thing or a kiddo thing or just being out of his element.

Enyhoo... happy almost 2yo!

So much going on!

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is growing in stride over here! She has been teething for 2 months (all four fangs) and is nursing like a newborn! We are TTC # 2 right now.

She is saying new words everyday and can now count to 10! She has a handful of sentences and has quite a few phrases. It's all so exciting!

She is ALL ABOUT the stuffed animals too! Everything all day has to include at least one of them! She makes me hug and kiss them too LOL she keeps putting this huge bear we got her when she was born in her booster seat and giving him meals and IDK expecting him to eat them b/c she gets irritated that he just sits there LOL

Yesterday she said 3 new words: Hey, sorry, and bike! It's so funny b/c I never tell her to say sorry but I guess from me saying it to her or someone else she totally gets the concept of it b/c she scratched me yesterday and I said "OW!" and she's like "sorry!" It was so cute!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Every now and again, Rowan will say "here you go". He started it a few months ago, handing your shoes, often while trying to kick someone (grandparents, dad) out of the house :-) it was one of those statements that he said for a week and then forgot. But he's back to doing it again. He brings me a cup.. "eer uGo"..

All proud and accomplished. :-)

Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 PM

I wasn't ever active on threads before, but I have a 9/9/09 baby. Rylee is about to have a baby brother. She is trying out a nap strike this week which isn't any fun being 39 weeks pregnant. She is such a strong personality. She has started talking more in the last two months, and I can understand most of her babbling.  She weaned in January and pretty much weaned to a pacifier. which I hate. Especially when her speech has been so good, if she finds a paci I can't understand a thing. Limiting to naps/bedtime. She is exploring everything.  Definitely different than my boys at this point, loves stuffed animals and dolls. She has no idea a baby is coming in the next few weeks, despite my attempts to explain/ prepare.  Her brothers are excited and ready. 

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Grey will be 22 months old tomorrow!

He is still hanging tough at ~31.5 lbs. He's been the same weight for 7+ months now but is so much taller. He's been in 2T since he was 9 months old and I can't believe it but that's still where he's at.

He talks a ton and is super good at mimicking people. Sometimes this holds an unflattering mirror up to me. :P Like when he recently started exclaiming "oh god!" in this extremely hassled tone when things aren't going his way. Oy.

He sings songs now, which is hilarious. He seems to know about 60% of the words to about a dozen songs and either makes up or skips the words he doesn't know.

Starting to throw tantrums sometimes now... Ugh.

His favorite games to play are pretend bedtime (for himself, for me, for his toys... Last night he was tucking tubes of diaper cream into bed and wishing them goodnight!), telephone, feed the baby (he tries to give real food to his doll), change the baby's diaper, and lion (I pretend to be a lion and chase him around).

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearbaby View Post

I wasn't ever active on threads before, but I have a 9/9/09 baby. Rylee is about to have a baby brother. She is trying out a nap strike this week which isn't any fun being 39 weeks pregnant. She is such a strong personality. She has started talking more in the last two months, and I can understand most of her babbling.  She weaned in January and pretty much weaned to a pacifier. which I hate. Especially when her speech has been so good, if she finds a paci I can't understand a thing. Limiting to naps/bedtime. She is exploring everything.  Definitely different than my boys at this point, loves stuffed animals and dolls. She has no idea a baby is coming in the next few weeks, despite my attempts to explain/ prepare.  Her brothers are excited and ready. 

So are you planning on un-weaning her when your milk comes back? JW. (we are currently TTC)

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
His favorite games to play are pretend bedtime (for himself, for me, for his toys... Last night he was tucking tubes of diaper cream into bed and wishing them goodnight!), telephone, feed the baby (he tries to give real food to his doll), change the baby's diaper, and lion (I pretend to be a lion and chase him around).

Picking up Rowan the other day from daycare, watching him with the dolls was fascinating. I don't have any dolls! And questioning his daycare people, they say he's All About the dolls. He organizes them. He makes them kiss. He carries them around to all different events during the day. He does this at home with his animals, but I don't have any dolls. Must change this! :-)

he is such a lover when going down. But hasn't found a pretend-going down yet. We might have to try that! Put someone/something else to bed. I like giving him the charge of that.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 PM

It has been about a year since I have checked in with my DDC :)  Sophia is amazing! She potty trained herself...4 months ago now, even at night! She still doesn't sleep through the night though, and I am losing my mind! She is up some nights 5 times! The best yet was waking at 3 then 5:30 and cuddling till 7, but I am ready for a full nights sleep!

She is nursing, with no sign of letting up. Some days I am ok with this, others I would like a bit of space, and my nipples could use a break!

She sings along with us to some songs, trying to learn her colors and ABC's (knows some), knows animals and sounds (quite a few of them). Her favorite number is 10..."sophia, what do you want for dinner"? "ten" lol.

Her first surgery was this week...wow was that stressful! I HATE interventions, I am terrified of anesthesia. AND yet, she has had it...all is well, but still stressful.

Her teeth were the reason for the surgery. She has bum teeth, as i tell her. Front four had cavities, one so bad it had to be pulled. They chip with every little fall. They were able to save her other front tooth with a cap and fill the two on either side. I am so irritatated! I know something is wrong, but I don't know what and I can't find a solution or an explanation other than BF...which is bologna! I brush and brush. Stop night nursing...they say (actually they told me they recommend weaning at 12 months...I said yea well WHO doesn't! ) she won't stop night nursing, she won't sleep...sorry I just got off on a tangent, I am overly frustrated with this topic...

We are TTC #2 now...starting to get frustrated, I am just not a patient person. I want to have it work the first month we try...not the sixth! lol

It is fun, I love everyday...

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
Old 08-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Wow I can't believe she's had so many cavities! What is her diet like?

Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 PM

hi everyone. i had a 9/8/9 baby. he's potty learning, loves to dance and thinks he can swim. actually he does everything he can to keep up with his 5 yo sister. good times, here! but tiring for mom and dad. he says a lot of words, especially if you give him a choice -- "which do you like better, fire engines or garbage trucks" (answer: gaga (garbage trucks)). still doesn't have all his teeth! but eats like a champ. nurses a ton too. naps 2-4 hours every afternoon (usually more like 2, but i got a 4 last week). all around, just a great little guy! 

Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 AM

We are lucky if she'll do a cat nap these days! I'm jealous!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Ro's been having a hard time with napping at daycare. I'm not sure what is up with him. He still naps 1-2hrs at home on the weekends... but it's a transition now to, gulp, full-time daycare. Maybe he just doesn't feel as comfortable there. He misses his daddy afternoons :-( Breaking up is sad, ya'll. Adult stuff, that's easy. But watching the kiddo go through transitions... it's hard.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 PM

I've been reading our threads over the year(s)! but havent commented much. SO here's our update.

I cannot believe Kate will be 2 in a week! (Sept 1). She's tiny, like super little, 32 inches and not yet 21 lbs. But she TALKS in full 5 or 6 word sentences. It's unreal, I have full on conversations with her. I'm still breastfeeding, a lot.. She only started to eat solids at 19 months, she flat out refused all food before then. We went to the feeding clinic for months, didnt do a thing for her because she had no "issue". She just did not want to eat. Now she eats, but small portions. I almost think she was waiting until all her teeth were in, she had 16 teeth by 16 months, and now has 20. 

She amazing, loving, smart and sensitive. She'll come up to me and hug me un-prompted and say "LOVE". A recent conversation we had, about a month ago went like this..

Kate: Is dada coming home?

me: no, not yet

Kate: After work, in car?

me: Yup!

Kate: and we hug and give kiss?

:)

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanKX View Post

Ro's been having a hard time with napping at daycare. I'm not sure what is up with him. He still naps 1-2hrs at home on the weekends... but it's a transition now to, gulp, full-time daycare. Maybe he just doesn't feel as comfortable there. He misses his daddy afternoons :-( Breaking up is sad, ya'll. Adult stuff, that's easy. But watching the kiddo go through transitions... it's hard.

grouphug.gif So sorry for what you guys are going through. I'm sure he doesn't feel comfy enough there yet. How did he go down for naps at home?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Oh my goodness!  It's our month again.  Happy birthday to the early September kids!

I did the silliest thing.  My doctor couldn't find the stomach bubble on my ultrasound for #2 and wanted me to come back for a second scan a month later... and I scheduled the appointment on Grey's birthday.  The upside is, he didn't get to go to the first scan because he was starting his new preschool (which is going really well!  he is so happy to be with other kids!) so I think I might take him to the followup scan instead.  When I showed him the pictures from the first ultrasound and told him they were of our new baby, he shook his head and told me "No baby.  Dis picture kitty cat!"

He is going through a phase where he wants to be naked all the time.  Thankfully it's still pretty temperate here!  He'll take his clothes off or ask me to, shout "BE NAKED BOY!" and just run around bare for hours.  It's pretty funny and cute but convincing him he has to get clothes on to say, go to the grocery store, can be a bit of a struggle.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Old 09-06-2011, 03:04 PM

We can so not afford pre-school although I think DD would enjoy it one or two days a weeks (for a limited time anyways, she is very sensitive...) We are pregnant with number 2 now as well! I can't believe my baby will be 2 on the 30th! *happy tears and sad tear* LOL

Old 09-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Sosurreal09 - Sophia's diet…well she ate a TON of raisins as a little one, she was having trouble in the bathroom, wouldn't eat many foods but loved raisins. SO I let her eat them by the bowlful. I figured, no added sugar, dried grapes…how bad could they be? apparently…pretty bad! Ah well I guess I have to forgive myself on that one. Her favorite foods now are "pasta" "egg" "ice", she loves chips and pretzels (occasional), "cher cher" (cherrios), apples, no juice, peppers, carrots and not much more than that. She is a slow starter when it comes to food, getting better recently, but honestly, I think she would prefer to nurse than to eat!.

JordanKX - sounds like a rough time, it is hard on adults and I can't imagine having to watch it through the eyes of a child, must be confusing. But you both love him and that is what counts and what matters!

Sophia loves being naked too, hates clothes…I wonder what the neighbors think…I let her go outside without clothes on, she is happy and it is SO innocent.

She says the best things, started telling stories and just making me laugh!

She sees elephants everywhere and then can tell you about it months later, her memory is amazing. My mother took her to the river and she swears she saw an elephant…she doesn't say elephant though, she makes the noise an elephant would make and uses her arm to be its trunk and throws it up over her head. Another day she was sitting in the backseat (where she always sits), I was driving and she had my bottle of gatorade (she doesn't drink that junk…just me). And she was yelling at it "bwwweeeeee(elephant noise) out out" over and over, she swore there was an elephant in the bottle. I laughed until I cried! OH and BTW we don't live in Africa…there are no elephants at the river, we live in New England! 

The other day we were visiting "Ahmi" grandma and she told her cat a story about princess sophia and prince charlie (a story thing DH tells her about the neighbor and herself everynight before bed) but now she was telling it on her own. All this on her own "prince charlie, in castle, far far away. Horse, boo boo, doctor kiss, all better"

I love the second year, first year was REALLY hard for me, but 12 months to now…so much fun, although the tantrums are a bit trying!

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 PM

happy birthday to all the "babies" celebrating them from my due date month and any newbies :).

c turned 2 in july, and is still a tiny thing. he weighs about 22 pounds now, though he is tall like the other kids were.

we are doing speech therapy with him to help him catch up a little.

he knows signs for milk, please, more, water, help, and ice cream. verbally he still is saying about the same things he has for quite awhile: mama, dada, baba, (and baba is anything to drink whether it is a bottle, cup, or whatever.) he tries to say both of the older kids names as well, and also says ba! (mil/fil have a dog named boss), mamaw, pap-paw, and more. he understands a LOT more words, can point to almost all of his bodyparts etc. i do believe once he can communicate with us more, either  verbally or with sign (or even better both) that some of his tantrums will be reduced. i have never seen a child  that can throw a fit like him. weird since he is parented basically the same as my other 2 and they were both pretty easy as babies/toddlers/young children.

he LOVES to love on both people (only grandma, mommy, daddy siblings etc) and stuffed animals, and the family dog.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM
tzs

hey all!
i haven't been on here in forever...can someone give me a summary?!?

made the food for ada's b-day party today for sunday....i just hope she has fun. looking at all these hipster party blogs kind of turned this party into more "for me" than "for her." so we're just going to have to go with the flow and hopefully have fun. 

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post

hey all!
haven't been on here in forever...can someone give me a summary?!?

made the food for ada's b-day party today for sunday....i just hope she has fun. looking at all these hipster party blogs kind of turned this party into more "for me" than "for her." so we're just going to have to go with the flow and hopefully have fun. 

I was torn about Ros' 2yr party. We ended up making it a party more for me you know... my friends/family, the few kiddos Ro's been growing up with. I really didn't expect it to be anything that big. But somewhere in the day, he Got It! he cooked with me all morning, made munchies and muffins. All the while me talking about how people were going to come over later, all for his bday. I also let him open my presents (very few) throughout the planning - mainly to give him something to do while I was cooking. But with each new little thing, he got more and more into opening the wrappings.

by the time people arrived, he got it. He had Such a ball! Where ordinarily he is all mine-itis, he was like a different kiddo. He was So excited with Everything! He opened packages with a "whoaaaaa" at each one. My girlfriend actually said, "wow, you've got him trained well"... and I was so surprised cause that was not me, it was all him. His excitement :-)  He totally didn't understand the cake, was SO worried that it was Hot! But again, eventually got it and blew out the candles on the first try. So proud of himself with all the clapping in the room :-)

it was a fun day.

And I swear.. he just woke up older; bigger, more clear words.

I got him one of the Strider bikes - Very cool. He can't do too much with it yet, but he loves the process of putting on his helmet and walking the bike around the block.

My mom got him a Doll. And that doll has been Everywhere with him the past week. To the park, to Daddy's house, in the stroller, in the store. He is totally in love with the doll - why didn't I do this earlier!

Had his WBV. I've had some concerns about his speech. He has over 50 words, easy, but not that a stranger would understand. He's not putting sentences together. I'm not worried, his daycare isn't worried, Pedi isn't worried... but still, we're all watching. I think I'll have his hearing checked since he's still covered with Oregon's version of medicaid (which I'll likely lose next year because I finally got a good job), just to be sure. He's SO physically oriented, I know it's normal that his vocal hasn't caught up.

Oh, just to note, 33lbs, and the lowest BMI since he was just a wee one. He'd grown 3inches in the past 3 months. So.... yay! Stretching out a bit. Wears size 7 shoes!

User Tag List