Nov~Dec 2002 tots - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2004, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=DecemberSun]
I'm a Capricorn. Stubborn, bossy, pessimistic... Basically, the only good points we have are that we're honest, loyal, and trustworthy. [QUOTE=DecemberSun]

You forgot that we are also very ambitious and driven, which can be good or bad, depending on how stubborn we are with what we are driving after.
My husband is a leo- we are worlds apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 05:11 PM

I am curious. Why do some of you dislike Scorpios? The only thing I know is that they like water (which is maybe why Erin likes the lake so much Kerc!), are secretive, and have a lot of sexual energy.

eilonwy-- I am a libra snake too. Were you born in '77? I don't know much about the snake though.

Also, I think I remember reading that up until children are about 7 they are more in touch with their moon sign. Does anyone know about this?
And as far as rising signs go it is my understanding that it is the face you show the world. I had an astrology teacher once who kept thinking I was a cancer (my rising).

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:16 PM

all the capricorns i've known i've enjoyed their company. living with them however, is another thing for me.

as for the pain, anything dealing with the back or bottom or stomach or chest is hard because it is a central area and it feels difficult to separate where the pain ends. we've been dealing with a monthly cycle while the men are more carefree. i think men and boys can stand pain very well in certain ways like if they know it is finite and have had experience with it. it seems to me they are also better with the outright pain as opposed to the ache and weariness, the stuff that gives us endurance.
i dunno. it took all this time for my dh to decide to quit feeling miserable and fearful. he spent the first year worried that my boys would hurt him worse and the pain made him feel intolerant of our activity. he was taught by the master wallower though. when his mom has a cold she will report to you the amount, consistency, color or mucus and go on and on. don't let these sentences confuse you though. my dh is a really cool guy that is doing great considering his problems, and works now to be active because it is better for him. i guess it was hard because i could not interfere and he had to learn on his own. and my mil is far from being an old woman.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:21 PM

lilmiss'mama i think the issue w/ scorpians is their hiddeness. this can mean they are emotionally hidden/disconnected even from those closest to them.
i have a great scorpian friend, and i'd say that is his main issue/weakness.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:23 PM

i love scorpios. i love intense spirited people and have great chemistry with them. i would like my household to be calm every now and then though. collectively we wear each other and other people out.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:20 PM

I have a friend who is a scoripo also. She is one of the most creative people I know. She dyes her own silk and yarn with various plant dyes, paints, sews, and even started her own business based on something she knew hardly anything about. She amazes me! I would love for Scarlett to have that creative energy as well. But I have heard the same thing about scorpios being emotional hidden.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona
lilmiss'mama i think the issue w/ scorpians is their hiddeness. this can mean they are emotionally hidden/disconnected even from those closest to them.
i have a great scorpian friend, and i'd say that is his main issue/weakness.

My husband is very secretive and emotionally distant. It takes a lot of work for me, because I have to force him to communicate with me. It's all right though... he's working on it! :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 04-29-2004, 06:41 PM

All this talk about astrology...I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand it is fascinating and perfectly reasonable to look at what planetary influences were occurring at the time of birth altho in some schools it's believed that conception time is far more important. On the other hand it seems a fairly inexact science, most accurate in hindsight. I imagine if one were to study it in depth, attuning to the inner vibration of each planet, for example, that it would yield teachings much more complex than what we see on the bookshelves. Like I said earlier I don't know too much about it. But did y'all know there is a specific breath associated with each planet? And a 'walk'?

Ok I'm gonna be quiet now. My woowoo side is showing
Old 04-29-2004, 11:25 PM

I really like scorpios as well. I think it's the Virgo thing. I have an aunt who is a scorpio, and she is very driven and has 3 greenhouses where she sells plants (not just a few, mind you). She's always on from one thing to the next, barely ever taking a break... that's the thing I appreciate in scorpios.

I'm also interested in Vedic astrology, mayan astrology, and chinese astrology. Some people that I know think that vedic astrology is WAY more accurate than western, but I don't know. It's all so interesting, though.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:13 AM

solsticemama, i'm liking your woo woo side (though i'm new to the phrase....)
Old 04-30-2004, 11:07 AM

:LOL casina! I was thinking the same thing. When solstice mama said "Ok I'm gonna be quiet now. My woowoo side is showing " my first reaction was
BRING IT ON GIRL!!!!!

:LOL :LOL

from one who loves the woo woo
Old 04-30-2004, 11:43 AM

does anyone know much about chinese astrology? I know I am a fire horse and someone posted that our kiddos are water horses. does that MEAN anything?

Georgia peed on the potty this week once but since then has no interest. I am not pushing although dh and I were fantizing about the extra 60 bucks a month we could have without a diaper service

This good weather is so nice. We spent 3 hours at the playground yesterday. It was much easier to go to work ing the winter. (I work 3 m-w-f) Now I just feel like I could be outside playing with my fabulous toddler :

Amy
Old 04-30-2004, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried the Peppermint Oil, too, Mamajaza, but it doesn't work for me. Thank you, though.

It is definitely the secretive tendencies that make some Scorpios difficult. I have notied that female Scorpios seem harder for me to get along with than male Scorpios. In my experience, they walk around on a high horse and think they're too good for everyone else. That's not to say that every Scorpio is that way, but I know that as a Capricorn, we usually don't mix well. Please don't take offense to this Scorps! I love all you mamas here!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 04-30-2004, 05:28 PM

well, it looks like i will be doing some more p/t work out there in the world.
right now i put in about 30 / mo working for a not for profit as a contract worker. about 25 of this is at home in front of the computer, which i love.
but we are so messed up financially that we don't know what else to do but for me to go back to an old employer and work bw 10-16 additional hours a week there. i just went in today to talk to her, and explore options, and i'll know more next week.

i'm very lucky in that i have a lot of experience, have a good degree (MSW), and know the woman who does the hiring. but i'm mostly heartbroken that i have to do this. it would be different if i choose to go back to work/school/ ect. but having to do it out of desperations SUCKS. i go back and forth bw feeling ok about it, bc i'll be helping my family financially, and being pissed off and ANGRY at my dh, as some of his patterns have led us to this situation, to sad for my dd, who will not understand where her mama is going.

my dd is still so dependent on me- lots of day time nursing, only naping with me (actually, she will nap in the car too under the right circumstances), and just being used to me. and my dh does not parent the way i do sometimes. he isn't as patient, is not as permissive (more controlling), and is not as trusting of the process- i guess he lacks intuition.

on the positive side, dd and dh will get the chance to strengthen their relationship.

well, sorry for the book. i am depressed about this and am trying to be strong w/ my dh about it. i know some of you wonderful mamas have to be apart from their dc every day, so i should quit whining.

Old 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM

Mona--I am one of the mama's here that leave my dc's M-F. It was heartbreaking and still is at times when my oldest is saying, "mama, I don't want you to go to work. I want you." So, I can feel for you. At least they have been with my mom, so I know they aren't being neglected. And you have your dh. It is hard to give up control, when you have been in control of the parenting style. My sister (also a Cap!) is going thru the same thing. I think though that it is good for kids to learn that different people to things in different ways. You can be assured that your dh wouldn't do anything to harm your dd, right. So, she will be okay and she will adjust to daddy's routine. (((hugs))) You are a good mama.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hugs to you, Lisa. Good luck with this transition. Our family can always use more money also, so I've been thinking of going back to work part time. It would be 24 hours a week, since I work twelve-hour shifts. I know it would cause some anxiety at first, but I think Ds would get used to the "no-boob-access-hours". Kathrynn will, too. And it will make the time you do spend with her that much more speical...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 05-01-2004, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abranger
does anyone know much about chinese astrology? I know I am a fire horse and someone posted that our kiddos are water horses. does that MEAN anything?
Well, I suppose it only means something if you're willing to ascribe meaning to it yourself. At it's most basic level I like to ponder the qualities that a horse possesses and the qualities inherent in water. I'm sure there are tons of things on the web about it but really it's just another lens thru which to view things. I mean you can interpret a person's chart and take it to it's most esoteric level finding out all kinds of intricate things but at the end of the day we are still, each of us, our own question. And what we've all grown and carried as mamas for nine months is essentially a Mystery, a sublime and awe-some Mystery with it's own little hands and feet, it's own beautiful heart already unfolding its secrets into the universe...

Lisa, s to you, mama. Let us know how things go. Leah, how are the headaches and insomnia? Better?

mamas
Old 05-02-2004, 03:29 AM

mona lisa, my heart goes out to you. i have been thinking about your post for the past few days.
i worked part time at different times with my first baby, basically due to pressure from dh. and no month has gone by without some kind of reminder that i could be bringing in income. being money sick is a very precarious thing. and pretty hard to explain to men the entirety of the emotional, physical, spiritual...all encompassing bond you have for your baby. my dh is only understanding it now from having been at home for almost two years, and he was from the start a fairly enlightened fellow.
i have mentioned before that we are on food stamps. that is worth exploring for any of you with money issues. we also have no car payments since that put a big dent in our monthly income. it is helpful to know exactly how much your family needs to live. i am so adamant about staying home that for the first six months dh was home hurt we had around 200 a month to live on for food and supplies, not counting paying more than the minimum to the credit card, and unable to cut off the isp, our only luxury. we also did not use the credit card then. while i heartily do not suggest living on that little (we live on just a little more now that i'm doing side projects and food stamps and now use the credit card for what we consider worthwhile), i am giving an example of how money issues can vary and how it depends on viewpoint on how much is enough. it was only when dh was hurt and me pregnant, and both of us opposed to having our children somewhere else that we learned to live on so little. and now i have found that though the money can be a big deal, much of it is and will always be dh's issue. he is not comfortable with being the sole breadwinner. i promise him that financially it will be better as they get older but i am too militant about staying home for now. of course i would go to work if worker's comp quit on us or such, but i cannot spend my days worrying about that. i can survive by living in the moment.

if it is your issue, the mamma, then weigh your options and follow your heart. if it is somebody else's issue, you can do it or not do it, knowing that you have the power to change your life at all times. sometimes i have learned what i really wanted from doing things i didn't necessarily want to do. anytime i worked dh found it was more upsetting than he liked, since he does not like living with an insane wife.

your post makes me rail again that society has left mamma and babies behind and i will do what i can to change that - starting with me and later with a vengeance for others. we should be able to work with our kids. so i guess we have to find new kinds of work. and get paid just to be the fantastic people we are! i know of more than a few women, some single, that have chosen to work as cocktail waitress or stripper in the late night so that they can be with their babies during the day. i'm still mad at my best friends exhusband who is living off of unemployment while she works (from home and alot of driving, she deals with foreclosure assistance) two jobs so she can homeschool. grr.

okay, i'll work on more pleasant vibes for the next post.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:50 AM

thanks for the replies, mamas. And thanks casina for the post. It was helpful on a variety of levels. I always said I would not put dd in the hands of strangers, and i, for the most part, never thought i would leave her w/dh either. we have been beyond poor for a long time, borrowing money every month. but we can't borrow money any more, and if i don't bring in some extra money we won't be able to pay rent.
i have tried to do some contract work- editing/proofreading/research- but it is hard to break through in this field, and so i have had few clients. i also had hoped i could submit my writings for publications for some extra money, but that is equally competitive. lastly, i sell on ebay like crazy, but that is often hit or miss.
we are already not paying our house bills- housemates are covering for us for the time being. crazy thing is we don't qualify for food stamps, but we do get wic so that helps. and we don't have credit cards any more due to the fact that i declared bancruptcy a few months ago. a messy, sticky, complicated financial web of the last 5 years.
anyway, i've committed to working through the summer. hopefully dh's biz will pick up by then.
in the mean time i'm trying to communicate the ways i'd like him to respond to dd, so that the parenting is as consistent as possible. he tends to get defensive when i correct him. : i gave him a jan hunt book awhile back to read- i don't think he's opened it. more : he doesn't seem to understand that i've come this far in my parenting through exploring what is out there, and matching it w/ my intuition as far as what feels right. it's taken a lot of hard work and consciousness to go beyond raising dd like i was raised, or how the "traditional" child is raised.
ok, i am babbling now.

anyway, it will certainly be an interesting process. i'm going to try to work in 4 hour shifts so that dd is not away from me for big chunks of time. hopefully that will be the right approach.

shifting gears, dd has been a stair climbing, chair climbing fiend! she loves climbing into the rocker, and being in chairs in general right now. she sits up there with this big grin on her face, loving her new perspective. she is doing great climbing up and down the stairs, and is doing pretty good with the "on your tummy toes first" approach to going down the stairs as well as getting down from the rocker. yesterday she climbed up a step stool. she gets a bit wigged when she can't get down, but is learning quickly how to maneuver herself onto her front so she can get her toes behind her. she has great hand eye coordination.
still not much discernable words, but lots of Kathrynn talk. she is very invested in what she is saying, whatever it is. she likes to use "words" that have the letter b in them.

well, that is long enough for a sunday morning. :LOL

Old 05-02-2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casina
mona lisa, my heart goes out to you. i have been thinking about your post for the past few days.
See, that's what I like about our little group. One mama who's having a rough time shares what's going on and then gets all these sympathetic and wise responses from those who've BTDT. I've had times too where one of you mamas have posted something and from time to time over the course of a day or two I've wondered how things were going.

So...how is everyone?

Ds's latest word is 'omberdin' Last night we were sitting at dinner and he kept saying 'omberdin?' Finally dh realized he was saying 'aubergine' which is the name of a very garlicky spread made with eggplant, olive oil, tons of garlic and spices. Ds likes it alot but the garlic aftersmell ...if he eats it at dinner I've got his little garlic breath all over me thru the night. His world of beautifully creative words continues to unfold.

Eilonwy how's the potty sitch going at your place? And Casina, that was a pretty impressive story about Ruby and the orange sections.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:46 PM

hey lisa. i was coing back to read my late night post to see if there was anything harmful or offensive in it. i'm usually more careful.....sorry ladies, especially those of you who work.

as for daddy parenting, there is some line where you have to step aside and let them learn for themselves, and be the dad. no kid needs two identical moms. and the way we parent alone can be different from when we are around our partners and other people. i'm working to learn stepping aside better myself. my five still thinks sleeping at night is optional but it is mostly in dh's hands now. the best things that have worked for me is to be a good example which proves that the way we parent works, and hope that otherwise the caregivers learn their consequences. it is helpful also for dh to feel accepted for the way he parents because he needs mamma's confidence, just like we do. it is generally not beneficial for the kids for the parent to feel judged or be judging themselves. (haha, i gotta learn my own advice, huh?)

i have intellectually maintained that the kids learn to adapt to the people and situations and follow the rules in those spaces, knowing that mamma's rules are good for around her. i cannot control what my mil and mom feed my kids, for example. they can dig their own hole about corn syrup and buying treats. and when you know that the caregiver comes from love you can at least trust that. having said all that, my kids already ignore most of everything my mom says to them like "you're being a bad boy" (they know they have some bad behaviours but are good people and this is why i get fed up with the disney morals), and tend to ignore the stuff my mil says to them as well (like she's big on manners which really is just coercion the way she uses them)

and actually i'm irritated with the dynamic my kids have with my dh for the past week or so, but there's really nothing i can do about it (too many nos and then the stuff that matters that get nos are a struggle of wills not a maintaining of safety). most daddies aren't big on reading the books and things i say without solicitation tend to interfere with the marriage. though it was a sahd that recommended the five love languages to me, so who knows? the more time my dh spends with my kids, the better he knows them, and i'm lucky that i think he is a cool guy or maybe there would be more disagreements. but daddies are genetic links too. so they have an understanding of our kids that we will have to trust as well. that means giving them over expecting the greatest of intentions until otherwise.

on a side note, i don't know think that anthropologically that dads usually have as much time with the babies. i say this because it inexplicably perhaps biologically feels harder for me to let my dh parent, even though he is worlds better than the older women in my lives who hardly see my kids. but something about them being women feels comforting on a cellular level, and it has taken much practice for me to feel good about my dh as a daddy and let him be, even though one of the reasons i married him was because he is so good with kids, and he was the one who wanted babies earlier than i was ready!
Old 05-02-2004, 08:25 PM

Thanks for asking, Solsticemamma. The potty learning is going very well. I have a feeling that if I could catch him, it'd be much faster. The problem is, I can't. :LOL I mean, I can't bend over and just sit him on the potty, I have to make sure he's wearing a diaper that he can remove, and that when he removes it I ask him to sit on the potty or remind him where it is. He loves to be naked, so sometimes he just takes the diaper off to be naked and then he pees/poops wherever he is, but if he's wearing a diaper when he has to go, he'll take it off and go on the potty. (Did that make any sense?) At any rate, if I was in a running/bending/squatting mode, I'd be able to leave him in a onesie to keep the diaper on while still allowing him enough access to start to take it off when he needs to go, and be able to ask him in the morning, evening, and after naps (though he often tells me at these times that he needs to potty). It still blows my mind that my little tiny man is such a big boy! I don't know whether to :LOL or .

You know, I don't really have a hard time letting dh parent, but I think that it's because we discussed the things which we felt were important and came to an agreement. One of us will encounter something new, we'll discuss it and decide what we want to do. Right now, I'm having a harder time parenting because my temper and stamina are not up to par, so I tend to yell a lot more than any of us would like, and I try to spend my time doing as little as possible. This leaves all three of us in a bad spot, but Mike is very understanding and helpful, and he's extra gentle with Eli when he's home.

The money situation is tough, but for some reason I feel really good about it. Yeah, we get food stamps and WIC, and I get disability, but it really wouldn't pay for me to go to work. It's truly pathetic when you crunch the numbers and realize that you'd get less money for going to work than for staying home, especially when you barely have enough to get by. : Mike has no desire whatsoever to see Eli in daycare; I don't think he's any more trusting of outside caregivers than I am. He's also learned a fair bit about public education, and went to private schools himself, so he shares my opinions on those (we are/will be homeschooling). It's not a huge issue for us. Yes, our parenting styles are different, because we're entirely different people, but Mike's natural inclinations are similar to what I've decided is right, so we get along very well that way. Maybe I should count blessings!

Old 05-03-2004, 12:54 AM

i'm one of those mamas who "work" --- meaning I've been working on my phd for about 4 years now. I never thought I would EVER want to stay home with my kiddos. And now, I know that if I could take a break for the first 2 years and then come back to work ...I would. It just isn't happening: financially, emotionally, work wise I'm in a shitty field for that, etc.

that said the positives: my dh spends time with his dd. He parents differently than I do. She doesn't need milk ALL the time so I think it is a good thing she's adjusting to someone else's style. Life is about adjusting and learning how family members interact and successfully communicate is a big thing for me.

*I* get the mental break that I need from dd. I come back refreshed and ready to face the world. I would need an hour or two to myself even if I were a SAHM. Of course if I were a SAHM then when she got up at 4 am I could nap with her during nap time. URGH.

and I like to think that it is a positive thing for my baby to see that mommy is reasonably smart and is successful at something. I'm not trying to say that I am the next einstein. More that I have self-worth.

on another subject entirely....good weekend. Erin is now saying "uck" (chuck) every time she sees a beaver in a book. Chuck is her beaver stuffed animal.

Leah (sorry can't get used to the new name yet. give me a little time)....I'm a coffee drinker too. Gave it up during pregnancy, but I fell off the wagon sometime last fall.

and...scorpios like the water? does that mean good things for a scorpio baby and an aquarius mama? What are the characteristics of aquarius? (give me the cliffnote version).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-03-2004, 01:04 AM

Hi I'm Christy and my son is named Cortland. He was born 11/2/2002. He is such a joy! He's full of spirit and spunk. He's incredibly loving and fun to be around and is just the total joy of my life.

I "stay at home" with him but he and I neither like to sit at home all day. We are always out doing something now that the weather is much nicer.

Great thread btw!!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
and...scorpios like the water? does that mean good things for a scorpio baby and an aquarius mama? What are the characteristics of aquarius? (give me the cliffnote version).
Aquarius is actually an air sign (I know, it messed with me too, for a while). :LOL You'd think something with "aqua" in it would be related to water.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:23 PM

I'm feeling low today. Low energy, low mood, and I have a headache. And I'm tired. Ds had a very restive night last night. Up constantly and wanting to be in constant contact with me all night long. His teeth are bothering him. I really should be napping with him right now. It's always a trade off--sleep or time alone.

Has anyone noticed that while there have been 300 or so responses to this thread there have been something like 2200 views??!! I guess we're a pretty entertaining bunch. : anyone?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:38 PM

for *solsticemama* Hope you feel better!!

Old 05-03-2004, 05:55 PM

Thanks mama
Old 05-04-2004, 12:14 AM

DS #2 keeps bouncing on the bottom of my uterus. Ouch! We are thinking about naming him David Alexander. We still have 4 months to decide. Christopher went to sleep in his little travel trundle bed tonight. If he keeps that up we might buy a toddler bed for him. I thought he might want to sleep in it since he was acting like he wanted me to take the mattress out of the crib for him. My little guy is growing up!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 05-04-2004, 12:22 AM

Rose

Sorry you're feeling dumpy today.

Someone send my some baby vibes. I'm feeling pg but wouldn't test positive yet. I *think* I had implantation bleeding last week. I thought I was getting my period but for about a day and a half, I had (Possible TMI to follow) some spotting, but not really spotting--looked more like when I lost my mucous plug when I went into labor w/Jacob. That light pink tinge, kwim? Anyway...my breasts are a bit tender (not a lot, just a bit) which never happens unless I'm pg. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but don't want to get my hopes up too much either. I've been disappointed in the baby dept. way too many times (PCOS--have trouble TTC).

User Tag List