Nov~Dec 2002 tots - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 548 Old 05-17-2004, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just PMed ya regarding where we live. For some reason I'm nervous / paranoid about publically declaring these things (yes I know I'm weird).

What is funny is that I've always been dying to get out of here too, dh and I have talked for years about where we want to move when he finishes school - Montana, Colorado, anywhere but here. Now that I know I want to homeschool (and very possibly unschool) I'm suddenly not in as much rush to leave as Texas has good laws for these things. Isn't it funny how things change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 548 Old 05-17-2004, 05:16 PM

no, not weird. i wondered how close you were.....and i have a friend that just moved near houston.
#543 of 548 Old 05-17-2004, 06:11 PM

punkprincessmama~I will *definately* keep everyone updated and post a birth story once I'm able. If you want to read more UC birth stories, there are quite a few in the "birth stories" section of our great MDC. Every day I'm getting closer, and I'm trying to visualize everything happening so smoothly, painlessly (just got to try, at least), and quickly. Open,open,open. I'm getting there. Can feel little pointy elbows, feet, and knees sometimes.

My challenge right now is carrying my toddler, because I already have one baby to carry around inside me. If I carry her for too long, I get a sore back. She's starting to get used to not being held all the time, though, which is good because once this other baby "lands", I won't be able to carry Haeven around much at all.

casina~ I love your description of you guys having a big bonefire in the middle of the day, with the neighbours looking through the fence like they were witnessing a bunch of savages.:LOL
#544 of 548 Old 05-17-2004, 10:53 PM

mainstream mamas....sigh (because I have spent a lot of time thinking about this). I thought that would be me. It was all I knew. And now I realize that my dear friend Karrie from college led me to MDC and...the rest is history. We aren't as crunchy as the rest of ya'll but we are very into making the choices that work for our family. And have become aware that there are a lot of choices one can make. And that it has to "work" for everyone, including the kiddo.

But I guess I have come to realize that mothering a child is overwhelming at time. If all I can offer is to push someone else's kid on a swing because she's too busy smokin a cig to deal with her kid...well then I'm the cool mama because i'll push anyone's kid on a swing at the park (so long as my Erin doesn't away).And I'm lucky to have such mama friends here at MDC.

Casina ...to be honest if I didn't know you online, I'd think you were loopy with that mental image. But then I think about it and realize...I think you are a great mama and offer your kids lots of love, guidance and support so they can grow into great adults...what a closed minded mama I can be sometimes huh? Ah well, I live in Northern Minnesota, we're kinda, um reserved.

and finally...I'm wondering if at some point we should maybe move to the finding your tribe board? We seem to be the most active due date club everywhere else (I remember ya'll on the pg board -- I was an oct due date, life with a babe, and here on the toddlers...)

Happy Monday Mamas. I'm trying to stay tuned into work and offline, but am checking this thread and the running club thread often.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#545 of 548 Old 05-17-2004, 11:35 PM

Hello! I'm gone for a few days and you guys fill a whole new page! :LOL

I made the sandals out of a thrift store leather, sherpa-style vest ($2.58; winter clearance), the diaper bag which I thought I'd save money on by purchasing a generic one at Toys-R-Us instead of just paying for the LL Bean one which is guaranteed for life (free; and basically rescued from being a receptical for stuff I was too lazy to carry out of the car) and super glue (which I sent Mike out to buy, because I was feeling huge and slow. :LOL)

When I find the recharger for my batteries, I'll take a picture of them. Like I said, one of them is much cuter than the other but they're definately suitable. I'm impressed with my work. (where's the "patting myself on the head" smilie? :LOL)

Mainstream mammas... I don't know too many parents, so I don't feel really qualified to talk about it. I know people who are not conventional parents, but who aren't really crunchy either, like my sister (co-sleeping, breastfeeding, but gentle discipline? :LOL). Sometimes I see people being cruel or thoughtless with their children and it makes me really sad, but I can't know if they're having a bad day or if they're always like that so I try not to judge.

I've only got one crunchy friend, and I met her through MDC... before I had Eli, I had no idea that I was as crunchy as it turns out that I am. :LOL I'd heard of attachment parenting in passing, but nothing specific and what I heard sounded like common sense even though the articles I was reading weren't always favorable ("Attachment parenting theory says that you should always pick your baby up when they cry," followed by a statement about how dangerous co-sleeping is, etc, etc.) I'd certainly never associated closely with anyone who did those things in real life, although I'd encountered a few at LLL meetings.

Personally, if a friend gave me a box with a sling and a pump and such in it, I'd be really honored and at the very least willing to listen to their ideas. My SIL is pregnant now with her first, and while she's not a terribly crunchy person, she's already said that she wants a sling to carry her Bean in, and she's more open minded about crunchy parenting than she was. She's not crazy about all of my ideas yet, but she can see that ... well, to put it bluntly, my son is (thus far) the only one of my mother's four grandchildren who's not already on their way to a life of insanity and therapy. (Which is ironic, since I'm probably the craziest of the parents. :LOL) Eli's a healthy, happy boy, and if my strange ideas are part of that, they're apparently worth listening to. I imagine that if Eli were a high needs baby, I'd have a harder time persuading anyone that my way of parenting was even worthy of consideration, you know?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#546 of 548 Old 05-18-2004, 01:58 AM

how funny. i thought when i had babies i would finally fit in with the rest of the world. i could enjoy being normal and it would be easy to follow the rules and not have to fight everyone. and now i'm confronted with the fact that i'm a nonconformist at heart and wear my head shaved sometimes just to remind me of this. but really, it is reed that had led me down this path. he is a combination of me and dh's most extreme aspects. if i had any "easier" of a first baby or child it would be different. and i'm thankful to him for being such a teacher, though when some friends asked me last week to put him in a child led summer camp, i had to sigh because they are crunchy attachment mothers that had the ideals before children, and homeschool because they have cool thoughts. and no, he probably wouldn't tolerate the half day two week camp without sacrificing a large chunk of sanity for the whole family.

don't get me wrong, i am so happy about unschooling and the homeschooling kids i know are beautiful children that benefit so much that they radiate, but it starts with him, and he still confounds me several times a day. of course my other children are feisty as well especially ruby, and benefit from the pseudoradical parenting lifestyle i'm committed to, (which is what, let them be the wild animals they are and help them when they are actually unable?) but it really started with a baby that could not tolerate any other kind of parenting, unless i wanted him to turn out like how unhappy me and dh felt around 16, and we are still working out our issues (um...like getting financially prosperous to match our demeanor?) so we can show him how to be the best person possible. something said at homeschool park day was that there is absolutely nothing wrong with our kids whatever the issue, it is that we consider it an issue as the parents.

so it's a funny thing. i know several other mammas that are surprised by the path we are on. and haha, you'll see when they are older. it goes from being a physical challenge to being a mental challenge and they are inherently programmed to work to outwit you. but anyway most of you are way more enlightened than i was with first baby. and i see such rich futures for all babies since parenting is changing so much, even for the "mainstream". i'm 33 and the 25 year olds and 20 year olds i know are so much more relaxed. i can't even imagine how evolved our loved kids are gonna be.

but then i'm still shocked i have a cell phone with a nice ring. had no idea i would have that as a kid.
#547 of 548 Old 05-18-2004, 09:21 AM

I do believe it's time for a new thread. Yikes, way too many pages!!
It's been about a week since I was on this thread and it's out of control!!! (length wise. lol)

So, as soon as someone starts a new thread, I'll post more.

Hugs,
Liz
#548 of 548 Old 05-18-2004, 11:04 AM

New thread!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page