Nov~Dec 2002 tots - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you find discounted Learning Towers?!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#62 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 12:32 AM

XmasEve - I would love to meet you and let the dds at eachother. Just let us know when you're on your way - we are always around. You should have been here today 85 degrees - no lie. My dd has lots of blond hair but all the length is in one little curl down the center of her back. I'm worried it looks a little 80's but dh won't let me cut it - he thinks it could be the source of her power . :LOL
#63 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 12:46 AM

lilmissmama - I've been looking at the towers too. The cheapest I could find was $125 with free shipping. Still pricey but the site was heirloomwoodentoys.com.
#64 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 12:52 AM

Sorry, it was a one day special thing a while back. I didn't even find out about it until it was almost too late. Anyway, I honestly do think it is worth whatever you can buy it for. I wouldn't have bought one full price before I had it but I totally would now. If that makes any sense. I running on fumes here.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#65 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 02:02 AM

Wow...I love hearing about all these babies. No haircuts in our future.....DD is getting some length....to her shoulders...but we are no where near the need for a trim.
XmasEve said her DD was "her-sized". I love that! That is how I feel about Anna. She hasn't been weighed in forever but I'm guessing around 25-27 pounds. Who knows! She is just perfect so I don't think about it much...until I look in her baby book and realize I don't have those numbers.
I have officially become "Mommy".....we have always been "mama" and "dada" but this week it became "mommy" and "daddy". A little bittersweet somehow.
She says hi to everything....tonight it was "hi, tatoes" while I was cooking...if I open the fridge it's "hi, eggs"...so funny.
She has always called our dog "good dog" even now that she can say his name she will still call him "good dog". That will forever be his rightful name now.
"Book" has now changed to "read"....before she would thrust books at us and say "book, book, book"....now it's just politely "read". It is amazing to me how these subtle little changes come about.
I could go on and on....can you tell I don't have much of a bragging outlet in our quiet little world?
I'm so glad to finally participate a little here....can't wait to get to know everyone!
#66 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 08:56 AM

Feel free to brag to me! :LOL I periodically start 'bragging threads', because I'm just totally impressed with every little thing that Eli does. He's so cool, but I feel like I'm going to make other people insecure if I talk about him too much. I love to hear about the cool things that other people's kids are doing, because I feel better talking about Eli then, kwim? :LOL Even if it's not terribly impressive to outsiders (though it usually is!) it's just so impressive to watch someone who used to be a brand new Bean only capable of nursing and sleeping transform themselves into a communicative, walking, talking person.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#67 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 12:59 PM

My baby says HI! to everyone she meets.... on the street, in the shopping centre, grocery store, park.... it's so funny. People will sometimes say "hi, how are you", back to her, and she just stares or says Hi! again. :LOL she doesn't say too many words, but does say whatz at? ba- bath, bay- baby, hot, and she gets her point across with many other noises and etcetera.

She's into having TANTRUMS these days. Poor baby. I feel so bad. She doesn't want me to hold her, then she wants to, then she wants to go back on the floor and arches her back and she hurts her head sometimes. I think it's rough not being able to say how you are feeling, or even *know* what you are feeling.

I'm glad many others have joined our tribe. Our babies must be pretty special, if we are the only ones to continue on in the toddler forum. I guess there are others starting up now, but YKWIM?
#68 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eilonwy
The first haircut, when a (boy)child is three years old is a big occasion, you make a party and it's a really special day.
Begging the question...does this special day apply to girls also?

Btw, pregnant mamas--I think there are just 2, eilonwy and *mamajaza*--have you all decided on what kind of a birth setting you'd like? Home birth, hospital, birth center, water birth etc?
#69 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 05:33 PM

I'm pregnant too! I will be delivering at the hospital and I am hoping with no interventions. Right now I am trying to figure out what to do with DS should I go into labor and my parents aren't here yet.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#70 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 06:21 PM

Solsticemama- I'm going to have an UC with my close family nearby. It's exciting! I'm going to have a pool set up, but it's going to be in the middle of the summer, so I don't know at what temperture I'll have that water.

hjohnson~when are you due?

#71 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by *solsticemama*
Begging the question...does this special day apply to girls also?

Btw, pregnant mamas--I think there are just 2, eilonwy and *mamajaza*--have you all decided on what kind of a birth setting you'd like? Home birth, hospital, birth center, water birth etc?
I'm not sure if it applies to girls. I don't think it does, because you're not supposed to cut a girl's hair at all as far as tradition goes. That said, there are many people for whom the first haircut (it usually happens on the same day for all three-year-olds) is something that correlates with weaning; the child is finished nursing, finished 'being a baby', as it were, and the haircut is the next step to being a big person. I think that the party is just as reasonable to do for girls, but not much of a tradition exists because, traditionally, girls don't get their hair cut at all. Of course, there might be people out there who do the same thing for girls.. I wouldn't be at all surprised by it. I'll have to look (it just never occured to me, because I have a boy. :LOL)Clear as mud?

Here is a link to an article about the first haircut ritual & party. Very short and to the point (unlike it's url! :LOL)

I'm planning to give birth in a hospital; I want my drugs. You can attempt to flame me if you like, but if you've read Eli's birth story or been involved in this discussion with me before, you'll either understand where I'm coming from or decide I'm a hopeless case and give up. :LOL I am very well educated about my decision and am going in with my eyes wide open. I'm due 30 June, but expecting to go closer to the middle of the month. By my math, I get a due date of 13 June; Eli was born a bit early, but I'm still thinking this one will show up sometime during the second week of June. If we go later, I can deal with that, though. I've got my mind wrapped around the 30 June date, so I will be less likely to be pulling my hair out if I don't deliver exactly when I expect to, kwim?

#72 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 11:13 PM

Nothing wrong with using drugs. I was drugged up while in labor with DS. I had a severe form of toxemia so they had me on Mag Sulfate and some other fun stuff. I slept through my whole labor. I am hoping that this time I won't have the toxemia. Curious to see if I can make it minus drugs.

I am due on September 3rd and we are expecting another little boy.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#73 of 548 Old 04-11-2004, 11:31 PM

*Mamajaza*- I couldn't access your pics. It said I needed an email address and password.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#74 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:01 AM

lilmissmomma, I know, you have to have an account to see them. I would like to use another site that's free, where you don't have to log in see the pictures. Do any of you know of any sites?
#75 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi I can't believe it took me 4 pages to notice this thread.

eilonwy - that thread about hair cutting was so intresting. what a sweet sweet tradition. It makes me want to wait to cut my childrens hair. I was just chatting with someone this mornign about how when you cut a babies hair for that first time they suddenly apear to be a big kid. even though they aren't any older than theywere 15 minutes before the cut. I was just thinking about cutting Avas hair but I am gonna wait. She is a mess but who cares. I am not ready for my baby to have a big kid hair cut.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#76 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:53 AM

*Mamajaza*--sorry, but I don't know anything about posting pics. (as you can see I don't have any in my sig.!) I don't have a digital camera either, so that probably doesn't help. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

#77 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 08:23 AM

mamajaza- i have a shutterfuly link, but it won't let me see your pictures if i use my own email and password, just my own.
i use msn to post my pix. (see below) it's free. a bit dorky, but all i've been able to come up with so far.
#78 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 10:39 AM

i just looked at your pictures again mona. she is just so cute. I thin my fav is the one of her in a pink sweatshirt showing off her diaper.(a). I love the sweatshirt and (b). she is just such a cutie! So expressive with her face. And so much hair!!!

So...I always get good ideas from ya'll. Can you tell me your child's favorite (a). book and (b). normal household item used as a toy? (or favorite activity not requiring a new purchase? I'm bored with erin's toys and need to jaz it up a bit.

ours: teddy goes to bed (or something similar. basically a cloth book with a teddy that goes into a pocket on each page. like "teddy rides his rocking horse up and down" and there's a spot for teddy to ride on the rocking horse.

erin LOVES to take ice cubes from one glass and move them to another.

oh and to the pregnant mamas. I dreamt about ya'll last night.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#79 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 10:49 AM

kerc- thanks so much. i was having a real bummer of a morning, and your comments made me smile big. and just so you know, she was showing off her belly in that picture. she loves to show everyone her belly, esp one of my male housemates. that is her greeting for him. :LOL she loves to pat her own belly, and everyone elses. funny girl.

a).favorit book
she doesn't have one really. she has a bunch of wooden books that she likes, and she likes any book that has babies in it. she also likes animals in books, as i always make the sound effects.

(b). normal household item used as a toy? keys, phone (we have an old one that we gave her), laundry, play silks that she can hide under (a sarong works good too), beaded necklaces, measuring spoons and cups (metal), metal bowls with a metal spoon, wet wash cloth. i think that is enough

i'm curious to read about everyone else's choices.

#80 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 11:09 AM

books! eli loves books. his favorite used to be 'the very quiet cricket'; we'd take it out of the library every week until i bought him a copy of his own for his birthday. he also loves 'runaway bunny', 'goodnight moon', 'the very hungry caterpillar', anything by dr. seuss (his cousin reads those to him and he loves it!), 'where is baby's belly button?' and anything with letters, numbers, or cars & trucks. :LOL he's very interested in new books, so while the old favorites have a strong appeal, he loves to listen to something new.

eli's favorite household item toy is probably the shower or a mixing bowl with water and a measuring cup. he loves to play with water, just about anywhere. we don't have a bathtub, but if we did i'd let him play in it every day! instead, i turn on the shower and let him sit there with a washcloth and empty shampoo bottles. he has the time of his life, and he gets to be naked, too! :LOL

#81 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 11:44 AM

Georgia's favorite books are all from Eric Carl. She loves "that's not my cat' 'does a kangaroo have a mother too' brown bear brown bear what do you see' 'polar bear polar bear what do you hear' she also like jamberrry, the big red barn and goodnight gorilla

Favorite nontoy toy these days: for some reason we have been saving wine corks for YEARS. No reason we just kept them in old juice bottles under the sink. Probably have a hundred or so. Well she found them a few weeks ago and it was like she hit the jack pot. she love to sort things mostly blocks into different containers. when she found these corks it was like "oh my gawd I have so much work to do" she got so serious we gave her some tupperwares to sort them into and I cooked dinner with no interuptions. now the corks stay in the kicthen and they are 'special' for when mommy is cooking. funny what they will like

questions for moma's with the learning tower. i had been planning to get this when georgia was a little older. I was thinking like 3 or 4. do your 15 month olds really enjoy it? do they just get in your way on the counter or can you keep them interested in other things while you cook?

amy
#82 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

2 things for *Mamajaza*:
Zachary does the same thing as Haeven when he throws fits- he pushes his cup away, then cries when I put it down like he wants it again, then he doesn't want to nurse and he starts squirming so I put him down and he starts screaming like he really does want to nurse. Ugh! It's so frustrating, for both of us. He wants to tell me stuff, but he doesn't know how, and he knows that screaming and crying will NOT get him what he wants, but he's so frustrated that he just doesn't know what to do. It's scarey to think that the tantrum phase will not be done for another 2 1/2 years or so...

I went to your link for the photos, but it's just a link to look at OUR photos. Try to find an icon for a "Share with friends" link or something like that. I can't wait to see what Haeven looks like finally!

~~~~~

Native Americans kind of have a ritual for haircutting, also. They don't usually cut their hair unless they've done something "wrong", or disrepectful to their tribal beliefs. (Like, they'll cut their hair before going to jail...) A lot of them don't follow that tradition anymore, but some do.

We're not cutting Zach's or Julianna's hair EVER. OK, well, maybe someday when they ask for a haircut, :LOL. They've both got a lot of growing to do since they went through a bald stage at about 6 months. I'm jealous of the babies who have such long hair already! We get so many comments about Julianna looking like a boy, and Zach looking like a girl- It's like, hello, he's in blue and she's in pink and you still can't get it right??? We have to get Julianna's ears pierced and then she'll look more like a little girl!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#83 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:13 PM

Owen's favorite books are the touch-feely board books from Usborne--especially the kitty ones.

Non-toy toys--the tupperware cupboard and pots and pans cupboard. Also cups--I threw a few plastic cups in the tub the other day and he was in heaven--dumping water from one to the next. Cardboard paper towel/toilet paper rolls, keys (but he always manages to push the PANIC button on mine--embarrassing! :LOL), pictures (just ones that I print out on the computer of him, his brother, the dog, etc), magazines and catalogs--especially ones w/babies and animals, etc. HTH!
#84 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:13 PM

I would say the Learning Tower is definately acceptable for younger kids. Jackson loves it and he doesn't like anything, :LOL Of course you have to supervise but that's no big deal. For as much money as it is I want to get the most possible use out of it.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#85 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:13 PM

Scarlett's favorite books... A series of books about a little dog named Biscuit by Alyssa Satin Capucilli, The Frogs Wore Red Suspenders rhymes by Jack Prelutsky, and the Touch and Feel board books.

Her favorite household toys is the phone, and plastic pitchers.

#86 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:17 PM

We love the Biscuit Books too! We have a crate full of board books. Jackson loves Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny. We have both in giant board book style and we also have a giant Hungry Caterpillar book. He loves that one too. Eric Carle is always a favorite with my toddlers too.

As for toys, Jackson likes play silks, bean bags, anything outside, we have a wooden block sorter that he likes too. As the others said, the non toys are the best.

#87 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:35 PM

#88 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:45 PM

it's asking for a password.

mine takes a while to load, but i just have a link to eli's geocities site... free, and easy!

#89 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:50 PM

s for my Scarlett, poor baby has been falling down and bumping body parts since last night. Last night she slipped in the tub after repeatedly being told sit down and me physically sitting her down (she hit her cheek and there is a little bruise today). Then this AM she bent over to pick up a plastic egg and hit her head on the fireplace. A few minutes ago she came to show me her foot that she scratched on I don't even know what.

Revina hardly ever got hurt so this is new for me. They are so tough though. She didn't cry for more than 30 seconds after hitting her head on the fireplace even though I heard it go thump, so I know it was a hard hit.

#90 of 548 Old 04-12-2004, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thats the same link as before, Jaz. Try clicking the "share online" button, then highlight the website adress, copy it, then post it in here. That's what I did right now- I uploaded a pic of Zach, see if you can view it here, maybe? You can also go to photoisland.com or dotphoto.com, and share pictures for free.

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page