Mothering Forum banner

Nov~Dec 2002 tots

13K views 547 replies 32 participants last post by  eilonwy 
#1 ·
OK, We've officially moved to a new thread. Welcome back to all the wonderful mamas who like to chat about their babies born in the winter of 2002.

All new mamas are welcome, too! Come on in, brag about your baby, get to know us crazy mamas, and have some fun

For all who need a recap, I'm Leah, 24, SAHM to Zachary (12/3/02), and foster mama to Julianna (2/27/03) and Crystal (7/29/96).

See less See more
#54 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mona
I want a learning tower as soon as someone will buy us for it.
:LOL
I think I have that same sentiment but worded a bit differently...:LOL

Hair, ha! The older dd gets the more she gets the "what a cute little boy" comments-- her hair just can't keep up with her! It's very thin and doesn't even cover her forehead, and barely tickles the back of her neck. But it makes life much easier for me that I don't have to deal with it.

Everyone has such cute pictures of their kids. Seriously the kind of pictures that would make me want a toddler, if I didn't already have one.

Bakeria, I'm hoping to take a trip to the Oregon coast this summer. If it all pans out, I'll PM you for the address of your bakery and maybe get to meet you and your dd. Please? Cool!

#55 ·
I want a learning tower as soon as someone will buy us for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I have that same sentiment but worded a bit differently...

:

#59 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by *solsticemama*
Is this an arbitrary decision or is there some significance to the 3 year mark?
It's an Orthodox Jewish tradition (I don't think that it's a religious injunction, but I could be mistaken; I'll have to ask my mother). You don't cut any child's hair until they're three years old because a child is like a fruit tree, and you're not supposed to harvest the fruit of a tree for three years, because you want the tree to be healthy and strong and the fruit to taste sweet before you do it.

The first haircut, when a (boy)child is three years old is a big occasion, you make a party and it's a really special day.
I'm looking forward to it!

I'd love to get a learning tower, but even the discounted ones I've seen are way out of my price range.
I'm going to have to find someone with older children who are all too big for it, I guess. :LOL

#60 ·
Hi Everyone

I'm Carrie, 23 (for a few more days anyways) SAHM to my dd, Mariah Rose Andrea, who is 16 months old.

Sorry to have dropped off the face of the earth this last month, the move went well, but there is so much to do to get settled in. For the past two weeks I've been sick on and off, really sick, and now dd has a cold/cough.

I am soooo tired.

I'm glad to have found this new thread though, because honestly I was dreading having to read and read to catch up from where I left off in the old one.

I sincerely hope you are all doing well.

P.S. My dd still doesn't have any hair.... but like someone else said, at least that is one less thing to deal with! She is long and skinny - 31 1/2 inches and barely 20 lbs at her last WBC a few weeks ago....... All I can think of is she must have a great metabolism because she is either eating or nursing. I guess it helps that she has been walking since 10months and now she runs - the child is never still.

Sorry for the ramble - I need sleep!!!!!

Good Night y'all!

#62 ·
XmasEve - I would love to meet you and let the dds at eachother. Just let us know when you're on your way - we are always around. You should have been here today 85 degrees - no lie. My dd has lots of blond hair but all the length is in one little curl down the center of her back. I'm worried it looks a little 80's but dh won't let me cut it - he thinks it could be the source of her power . :LOL

#64 ·
Sorry, it was a one day special thing a while back. I didn't even find out about it until it was almost too late.
Anyway, I honestly do think it is worth whatever you can buy it for. I wouldn't have bought one full price before I had it but I totally would now. If that makes any sense. I running on fumes here.

#65 ·
Wow...I love hearing about all these babies. No haircuts in our future.....DD is getting some length....to her shoulders...but we are no where near the need for a trim.
XmasEve said her DD was "her-sized". I love that! That is how I feel about Anna. She hasn't been weighed in forever but I'm guessing around 25-27 pounds. Who knows! She is just perfect so I don't think about it much...until I look in her baby book and realize I don't have those numbers.
I have officially become "Mommy".....we have always been "mama" and "dada" but this week it became "mommy" and "daddy". A little bittersweet somehow.
She says hi to everything....tonight it was "hi, tatoes" while I was cooking...if I open the fridge it's "hi, eggs"...so funny.
She has always called our dog "good dog" even now that she can say his name she will still call him "good dog". That will forever be his rightful name now.
"Book" has now changed to "read"....before she would thrust books at us and say "book, book, book"....now it's just politely "read". It is amazing to me how these subtle little changes come about.
I could go on and on....can you tell I don't have much of a bragging outlet in our quiet little world?
I'm so glad to finally participate a little here....can't wait to get to know everyone!

#66 ·
Feel free to brag to me! :LOL I periodically start 'bragging threads', because I'm just totally impressed with every little thing that Eli does. He's so cool, but I feel like I'm going to make other people insecure if I talk about him too much.
I love to hear about the cool things that other people's kids are doing, because I feel better talking about Eli then, kwim? :LOL Even if it's not terribly impressive to outsiders (though it usually is!) it's just so impressive to watch someone who used to be a brand new Bean only capable of nursing and sleeping transform themselves into a communicative, walking, talking person.

#67 ·
My baby says HI! to everyone she meets.... on the street, in the shopping centre, grocery store, park.... it's so funny. People will sometimes say "hi, how are you", back to her, and she just stares or says Hi! again. :LOL she doesn't say too many words, but does say whatz at? ba- bath, bay- baby, hot, and she gets her point across with many other noises and etcetera.

She's into having TANTRUMS these days. Poor baby. I feel so bad. She doesn't want me to hold her, then she wants to, then she wants to go back on the floor and arches her back and she hurts her head sometimes. I think it's rough not being able to say how you are feeling, or even *know* what you are feeling.

I'm glad many others have joined our tribe. Our babies must be pretty special, if we are the only ones to continue on in the toddler forum. I guess there are others starting up now, but YKWIM?

#68 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by eilonwy
The first haircut, when a (boy)child is three years old is a big occasion, you make a party and it's a really special day.
Begging the question...does this special day apply to girls also?

Btw, pregnant mamas--I think there are just 2, eilonwy and *mamajaza*--have you all decided on what kind of a birth setting you'd like? Home birth, hospital, birth center, water birth etc?

#71 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by *solsticemama*
Begging the question...does this special day apply to girls also?

Btw, pregnant mamas--I think there are just 2, eilonwy and *mamajaza*--have you all decided on what kind of a birth setting you'd like? Home birth, hospital, birth center, water birth etc?
I'm not sure if it applies to girls.
I don't think it does, because you're not supposed to cut a girl's hair at all as far as tradition goes. That said, there are many people for whom the first haircut (it usually happens on the same day for all three-year-olds) is something that correlates with weaning; the child is finished nursing, finished 'being a baby', as it were, and the haircut is the next step to being a big person. I think that the party is just as reasonable to do for girls, but not much of a tradition exists because, traditionally, girls don't get their hair cut at all. Of course, there might be people out there who do the same thing for girls.. I wouldn't be at all surprised by it. I'll have to look (it just never occured to me, because I have a boy. :LOL)Clear as mud?

Here is a link to an article about the first haircut ritual & party. Very short and to the point (unlike it's url! :LOL)

I'm planning to give birth in a hospital; I want my drugs. You can attempt to flame me if you like, but if you've read Eli's birth story or been involved in this discussion with me before, you'll either understand where I'm coming from or decide I'm a hopeless case and give up. :LOL I am very well educated about my decision and am going in with my eyes wide open. I'm due 30 June, but expecting to go closer to the middle of the month. By my math, I get a due date of 13 June; Eli was born a bit early, but I'm still thinking this one will show up sometime during the second week of June. If we go later, I can deal with that, though. I've got my mind wrapped around the 30 June date, so I will be less likely to be pulling my hair out if I don't deliver exactly when I expect to, kwim?

#72 ·
Nothing wrong with using drugs. I was drugged up while in labor with DS. I had a severe form of toxemia so they had me on Mag Sulfate and some other fun stuff. I slept through my whole labor. I am hoping that this time I won't have the toxemia. Curious to see if I can make it minus drugs.

I am due on September 3rd and we are expecting another little boy.

#75 ·
Hi I can't believe it took me 4 pages to notice this thread.

eilonwy - that thread about hair cutting was so intresting. what a sweet sweet tradition. It makes me want to wait to cut my childrens hair. I was just chatting with someone this mornign about how when you cut a babies hair for that first time they suddenly apear to be a big kid. even though they aren't any older than theywere 15 minutes before the cut. I was just thinking about cutting Avas hair but I am gonna wait. She is a mess but who cares.
I am not ready for my baby to have a big kid hair cut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.