Nov~Dec 2002 tots - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2004, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Brayg
Now, I would to have a hospital birth in a tub. With 2 c-sections already and the fact that tub births in a hospital are pretty scarce yet, I don't think that'd happen.

hey so we up here in the sticks (lol!) are hearing ALL the time about how progressive minneapolis is about birth. like there's a tub for every mama.

and typing that up made me think we really should try to meet up sometime soon. I may be in the cities in the next month or so. You wouldn't be able to meet erin, but I could meet you!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

kerc- I've heard it is VERY common for kids to refer to all animals as "dogs" (or whatever) for awhile, until they can tell the difference. Zachary refers to everything round as a ball ("ba!")- grapefruits, oranges, apples, cotton balls, round-shaped candles, EVERYTHING! If he sees something round that even resembles a ball, he wants to throw it LOL.

Today Zach said his own name for the first time. I was talking to him, pointing to me and saying "Mama", pointing to him and saying "Zachary", etc. Julianna crawled over and he pointed at her and said "Nanna", and then pointed to his chest and said "Sack".

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 04-14-2004, 04:13 AM

yes, that's normal language development, whether it be apples for spheres or horse for four legd creatures.

i dunno if there is a tub for every mamma in mpls but i remember hearing that half the births were with nurse midwives, and that most of the units had tubs (the day i had reed there were four times as many births as usual so i did not end up with a room with queen bed and tub....i remember the midwife rolling her eyes)

i want unassisted birth for the next time, if there is a next time. so much that i placed it as criteria for having sex again though i have an iud now.
unassisted means yes, no outside monitors. i did have three decent births and did love my midwives, but its not the same as keeping my energy and power and knowing my body. and knowing my husband's vibe and my reaction to it, which has affected my births. training is relative. and when you decided unassisted, you also know that if you have serious problems you can always go to a hospital. i would also like to explain that in homebirth, a midwife would not do anything extraordinary that would compromise her career or the mother and baby's life. i guess except for when my first lay midwife. who stuck with me when clay was almost a month late (two weeks was the legal limit). homebirth and uc are beautiful things that appear normal and boring, compared to the parade of tech and hecticness of the hospital route.

i would also like to loudmouth that i think it is more brave to go to the hospital, it is a monumental feat to deliver vaginally with pitocin, odd to me the idea of recovering from an episiotomy, and bizarre the idea of staying still a contraction while they do an epidural. for me homebirth is the path of least resistance. i'm also one of those silly control freaks that would end up with csections if i had gone near the norm down here.

okay, back to my shell. i'm pretty grumpy these days, with allergies and such. of course i need to shake myself out of it since i'm fostering all time whine records.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:21 AM

Quote:
hey so we up here in the sticks (lol!) are hearing ALL the time about how progressive minneapolis is about birth. like there's a tub for every mama.
I s'pose that's right, but I'm a good 40 minutes on a real good day away from those city hospitals. I'm down here in the south metro--guess I'll have to look into it more when I get pg again.

Quote:
we really should try to meet up sometime soon
That'd be great--LMK when, where and how.

I'm just going to paste the thread here instead of re-typing out what Owen got yesterday. My poor baby. It's now 2:20 am and he sleeping soundly (since about 8:30, PTL) but I'm up. Grrrr...

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=134350
Old 04-14-2004, 05:23 AM

Oh, and Owen thinks anything with wheels is a "car". It's so cute...lawnmowers, snowblowers, trailers, etc.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Brayg where are you. My first midwife is awsome and works at a birthing center in Olympia? Olivia? right outside the cities that do water boirths almost exclusively (of coure if you didn't want one you wouldn't be pressured to have one).

her name is Edi weiss-haultzbaur. not sure of the spelling but she is great!

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:29 PM

I'm in Jordan--just south of Shakopee (y'know Valleyfair?). I really haven't looked into it (as i'm not even pg yet). I know w/a VBA2C, I'd definitely want to be in a hospital. Being in the water sounds dreamy.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:29 PM

Ds calls all 4 leggeds 'how?' He first heard a cat say "meow" and that's where the name came from. Always said with the inflection of a question tho he's not asking, simply stating.

I birthed ds in the water so I have no experience with a land birth. At the time I wasn't so aware of the compassion of water--it's helpful effect on gravity, the way it supports the body, the qualities of flow and ebb, cleansing and so forth--but more just of its elemental nature, the feeling of warmth around me and on me and thru me. Ds came fast and I'll never know if the water had an effect on the speed with which he arrived but I do feel the quiet setting influenced my body's ability to open.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM

DS has a thing for dogs right now so all animals except for the duck is called "dog".

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 04-14-2004, 02:54 PM

I've been very busy these days. Ive been reading but not posting. Finally, they are both napping. Here is my re introduction

I am Terri, 34 and a SAHM to 2 boys. We vax and the boys sleep in their own beds in our room. They are both uncircumcised. Giovanni stoped nursing at 5 months due to lack of milk while being pregnant. I am nursing Gavin now. We do disposable diapers.

Giovanni is 16 month and about 24 pounds. He loves to run and climb and tumble. He eats just about anything. Says mama, dada, gagin for Gavin my other son, ganpa for granpa, na nana for banana, naw moer for lawn mower and moon. Likes balls, airplanes, cars, bird, tv, music, books...... the list goes on. He knows when asked where is his hair, head, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, teeth, toungue, stomach, fingers, legs, toes and even peepe.

Hey mamas, How do u get thru a full story? Giovanni always stops to ask was tat and proceeds to turn the pages out of order to ask was tat all over again. I cant seem to get to read a full story to him, so he does not have a favorite. The upside is that he can point to, if I ask him, the ballon, fish, bird, ball, frog, apple and so on.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:17 PM

elwynn refers to everything with wheels as a "car" anything with 4 legs and fur as a dog and anything with wings as a duck. he also says "duck" as thank you-when i give him saomething like a drink he says"duck" its so funny. ball is anything round, he has a lot of multi purpose words. he has been signing lots too but he uses the sigh for cookie for more, but he knows the milk sign and the enough, and hungry or food. he says Hot every time he sees a fire place or stove or light socket. what a smart little dude.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 04-14-2004, 05:23 PM

Last night Scarlett started singing! Not words I could understand, but definetly singing some sort of song in her baby jabber. She was dancing around the living room swinging her arms and doing that hunker down and bounce up and down dance move. After she finished each song she would clap and say "yeaaaah!" So cute!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:25 PM

Jackson hums as he plays. He walks around the house with his hands behind his back and humming. It's very cute.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 04-14-2004, 08:19 PM

Hi everyone!

wow, I see so many familiar mamas from "expecting nov.2002"!
Time has really flown by. good to hear everyone is doing well, and all the babes are too.
To re-introduce myself-- i'm Jenny and I had Julian Dec.1, 2002. He joined Elwyn(now 3and a half!) They are the best of friends. and sometimes the worst of enemies! but it is such a joy to see them play and love on each other.
I am going to go catch up some more on this thread. wanted to jump in before there are 20 pages here!!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:22 PM

Ava started siunging just this month. No words but she does a swell job of hitting the right notes. I swear to you Madeline didn't sing a single word until she was almost 4. I was so sad about it. Whi was this unhappy child. Lilyka was about 2 when she started singing. She had left her doll in the car and I asked if she was going to bring her baby in. She slammed the door and started singing in the sweetest little voice "baby gonna cry all night, oh well, that baby is just gonna have to cry all night. . . . ." for weeks she went on like that and then would giggle evil villan style hehehehehehe. Thats my Lily. It is nice to have a child who sings :LOL

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:36 PM

I've given a little thought to birthing in water, but it really doesn't appeal to me.. I'm just not a watery person. Everyone does have access to a tub where I'm planning to deliver, though, so we'll see. I've had this recurring dream about giving birth in the shower here at home, that I wake up in the middle of the night and have to pee, get into the shower and am just enjoying it when I suddenly feel an actual labor pain. I figure it's just one and stay in the shower and then I have two more and there's a baby between my legs. In my dream, I'm mostly concerned about the time.. "What time is it, what time is it, I have to know what time the baby is born!!"... I keep getting hysterical in my head, but I don't want to wake up my husband so I get out, check the time, then I get back in and I'm sitting there nursing the baby for a while before I decide to wake Mike up. :LOL It's a strange, and very funny dream. :LOL

Eli has been extra lovey of late . He's such a cutieman! :heart

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 04-14-2004, 09:03 PM

Mariah is doing so much these days. I don't know where the time has gone to. She sings (baby words that I don't understand) and dances. She has quite a few words, though our friends tease us that we are making that up because she is so shy around other people. She never talks when anyone else is around. Lately she is obsessed with the telephone. She walks around with it all day saying " Hello? Hello??" in this super cute voice. She is growing up so fast.

We have hit a very challenging time in our relationship. I guess its the move that has put her on edge, made her whinier (is that even a word?) I think it is partly a stage though, as she is also suddenly challenging me. I call her or ask her to do something and she suddenly ignores me. She has also started hitting me, in the face. Out of nowhere. It's not connected to her being angry or anything. It's very disconcerting, as I have no idea where she has picked this up.

I am trying to so hard to stay calm and sane. I am telling myself "this too shall pass" I told my mom that the other day and she laughed and said "yes it will pass, it'll pass right into something else more challenging" :

Not exactly the reassurance I was looking for!!!

Solsticemama, your earlier post was just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Oh yeah, about the birthing in water... I was drawn to water all the while I was pregnant with my little Zoomba. I took loooong showers, baths, dreamnt of swimming pools and oceans. I labored in water the whole time, but birthed on land (long story I have mixed feelings about still) Zoom is soooo drawn to water. She loves baths, playing in water, washing her hands. Anytime there is water running in our house she is there. Kinda funny, huh?

We are not planning or trying to conceive right now. but just for the record (since it was being discussed earlier) I am definetley having a home birth next time. I loved my midwives and the birthing center where Zoom was born, but I have enough faith in my body now that I want to be on my own turf when the next time comes. I'm not quite ready for UC but definetley can understand why some women desire them.

Gotta Run ---

ETA - elionwy (hope I spelled that right, sorry if i didn't) - my dd loves loves loves your ds pics!!! also, what does TBP mean (in your sig)
Old 04-14-2004, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by punkprincessmama

ETA - elionwy (hope I spelled that right, sorry if i didn't) - my dd loves loves loves your ds pics!!! also, what does TBP mean (in your sig)
Thanks! Isn't it funny how kids like to look at other kids & babies? Eli is on a huge baby kick lately, he gets really excited whenever he sees one, be it a picture or on tv or in real life. He doesn't think of himself as a baby (except for that strange and vagely sad nursing thing a few weeks back) but when he sees pictures of himself, he says "Baby Eli" more often than not. It's almost like he can't believe he looks so young. :LOL :

TBP stands for Tapioca Brain of Pregnancy, which is what I call that well-known aspect of pregnancy where you can barely remember that your pants really ought to go on before your shoes, and other such things we thought we'd all mastered before we were 5 years old. :LOL

Old 04-15-2004, 12:27 AM

be careful I had a dream that I gave birth effortlessly at a Dr. office and so I did. If you start feeling labor pains in the shower I recommend you take it seriously :LOL

Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 AM

Thankfully the hospital I am delivering in has a jacuzzi tub in each LDRP room. I am hoping that I will be able to sit in the tub instead of being restricted to bed. You ladies keep your fingers crossed that I get the 50% chance of not having toxemia again. Mag Sulfate Sucks!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:39 AM

punkprincessmama- Scarlett has been hitting me lately and I remember Revina doing it too. I'll just be holding her and out of no where, smack, right in the face. What I have been doing is telling her not to hit mama, it hurts. Then I take her hand and show her how to touch gentle. If she does it again I put her down. I am not sure what else to do.

What causes toxemia? How does it effect you?

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM

Jackson so loves the park. Now that it's nice weather he wants to be outside all day long. He loves the slides, the swings, the whole thing. He really did not like being outside last summer so I'm happy he's enjoying it now.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 04-15-2004, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

hjohnson, I had to get Mag Sulfate too. It didn't effect me as badly as I've heard it can. I did get really flushed and hot, and my arm hurt where the med came through the IV, but there wasn't much I could do. Suffer through the Mag or have a baby at 30 weeks, I chose to suffer LOL. I've heard major horror stories from Mag Sulfate, though, so I feel lucky!

Zach hits too. He hits the dogs, his foster sisters, me, and whatever is close to him when he's mad. I have no idea where he got it, either. No one else hits anyone in our house, so : ??? I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a hitter LOL. I do the same thing as someone else said- I grab his hand, tell him "No, hitting is not nice" and show him how to be gentle.

He has really shown improvement on his attitude and temper tantrums these past few days. We have been really strict with him, not letting him get out of control. We're trying to get a handle on his behavior before it gets out of hand, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it seems to be working!

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 04-15-2004, 03:31 AM

well for my kids, hitting is also a gesture of love if they are happy with it. they had no reference that it is a "mean" thing until we told them. with my rough boys i ideally draw the line at blood or tear inspiring pain.......really though, the verbal skills will help much with the hitting and other frustrations. generally that is a direction we aim for, from physical to verbal. these babies are still very little though, and lack the impulse control to do much else. personally i recommend ignoring most of the hitting. over here the more fuss we make about negative behaviours, the more it becomes part of the communication dynamic and gets in the way of love.

rachel/brayg, hope you and owen are resting. these are the moments mammas are made of, that remind us of our vulnerability and responsibility, and move us towards being experts about ourselves and our children. you were able to act rationally, make an informed decision, and deal with the situation. it is a wonderful thing.

i was talking to dh the other day and remembering that 16 months is when my kids turn feisty, or "skippetty" is another term we use to describe the seeming ornery behavior. it definitely is related to the fact that they know they are not part of mamma anymore. i'd have to crack open the penelope leach book for more details......or maybe i don't want to remember......
Old 04-15-2004, 03:47 AM

alright, i just looked at penelope leach's your baby and child and read the introduction to the toddler, from one year to two and half. i highly recommend reading it, since it is just too darned long for me to copy it.....
Old 04-15-2004, 09:17 AM

soon to be birthing mamas-
i just wrote my birth story and submitted it for publication. while writing it i realized that other then during meditation, it is one of the few 8 hour streches where i was purely in the moment. despite it being my first and being at home 30 minutes from the nearest hospital, despite the fact that my midwife was snow bound at her house for more then half of my labor, despite all the new ness and not knowing what was going on , i stayed in the moment each second, and never worried. what an amazing occurance. birthing is what our bodies are made to do, and that is amazing in itself.
water- i spent some time in our bath tub- the first few hours. but it was too small for my big belly and i had back pain to boot so found more solace in squating, dancing, ect.

hitting- dd has been hitting and torturing the cat for months. i tell her "soft" and show her, using my own hand and then her hand. i also tell her that she is hurting the cat,and "ouch". she also hits dh and i with things sometimes. i tell her that we don't hit pepole with things. (ok, we don't hit people at all in this house :LOL)
i often have to remove her from the cat, and remove the item from her hand. it seems like a slow process.....:

dd has been doing this interesting thing lately. she lays down on her tummy on the floor. she sometimes does it when she is a bit frustrated. and occassionally she does it more violently as a mini tantrum. i think she is trying to ground her energies and calm herself.

have a wonderful day mamas!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:51 AM

I had Mag Sulfate with Eli, too; they started the line after I started swelling up like a balloon & spilling protien in my urine (during labor!). I had a siezure as I was delivering EliBean and had to stay on the magnesium for 24 hours after he was born. They kept telling me not to eat, but I basically threw a fit and one of the nurses snuck in a meal for me in the middle of the night. . Later, when I went to visit EliBean the NICU nurses remarked that I was very alert considering the magnesium. I whispered that the secret was *food*; yeah, you can feel like a limp dishrag on magnesium, but eating some real food can do a lot for your equilibrium!

Toxemia is the old-fashioned name for preecclampsia, if I recall correctly; they're exactly the same thing. No one knows what causes it, but they do know that it's most common in primiparas (fist time mothers), people carrying multiples, overweight women, diabetics (gestational or otherwise), and women with high blood pressure before they get pregnant.

Eli has mostly stopped hitting; every now and then he'll get excited and do it, but we remind him to be gentle and he understands that pretty well.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:13 PM

toxemia ---> isn't it supposed to help reduce your risk if you eat enough protein?

my baby brag for the day -- yesterday we went out in the woods with a mama friend and her two kiddos. They were making maple syrup over a wood fire. It was sooo fun. They had cut down some trees to make a small trout pond and hadn't yet cleared them. So imagine mud bog with trees for a 3.5 yr old to play balance beam on. My own child (here's the baby brag) spent the day just picking up mud, squeezing it and putting it back down. then doing the same with everything out there -- twigs, leaves, etc. It was darn fun. Then she fell asleep on the way home and SLEPT FOR 14 HRS STRAIGHT!!!!!!

I told my dh as i left this morning for work that we were going to go out and I was going to "run" her again today. Kind of kidding, but she had fun, I had fun and she slept great!

and this mama is a friend who's more of an aquaintaince. She just casually invited E and I to come out for the syruping at the last minute. I went on a whim, had a VERY fun time. Turns out that we are on a reasonably like mind when it comes to parenting. Her dh is a prof at the univ. i attend (in physics -- I'm in geology), so I've never really pursued the friendship much because, well, it was a kinda weird/awkward thing. But maybe i should...I could use some more mama friends. I was soooo happy to find out that her 3 yo doesn't have a favorite TV show, that she's still nursing her 14mo (and he hasn't had cow's milk, cause well she didn't think he needed it) and it was really fun to be with someone who didn't freak out when I let my kiddo play in the mud.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-15-2004, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

First of all, a to brayg for the "Tylenol story". Sheesh, I feel like a real heal- Zach's had Tylenol AND Motrin already. Not to mention his ocassional Albuterol syrup and Xopenex SVNs for his asthma, and the Prednisone and antibiotics he got when he had RSV, pneumonia, and bilateral ear infections... (I guess since both my parents, four aunts, and an uncle are all RNs, and I finished all my pre-req's for the nursing program before Zach came along, I'm more inclined to just give them some medicine when I think they need it. Just me...)

casina- thanx for the insight on hitting. It makes sense, since Zach hits the dogs even when he seems happy and excited to be petting them. Maybe it's just his "pat of excitement" .

kerc- that's so awesome that you found someone you can get together with. I need to broaden my horizons and find some more IRL friends, too. It's so hard to find friends who aren't fully mainstream in their parenting. Of course, I don't have anything against these mamas, but it's clear to both of us after we meet once that we won't be calling each other again. It's sad, it's like a date that doesn't work out, LOL...

I know toxemia is a condititon with your blood, and it can be genetic. Very scarey thing.

They never really discovered why I had preterm labor, so I have no idea if it will happen again. When I went in for my first Pap at 18, the NP told me my uterus was slightly tipped to the left, and I've read that a mishapen uterus can cause preterm labor after the baby gets to a certain size. That scares me about getting pregnant again...

Old 04-15-2004, 01:46 PM

They put me on Mag Sulfate because when I went in for my weekly visit, my BP was up at 146/110. They told me you are having this baby! I also had spilled some protein into my urine and I was quite swollen. My liver enzymes were elevated as well and they thought that it was going to develop into HELLP Syndrome. I didn't have the Hemolysis or Low Platelets though. After my son was born, it took 3 weeks for my liver enzymes to go back to normal and it took me BP 3 months to stabilize. I had Gestational Diabetes as well.

So far with this pregnancy, my blood sugars haven't tested high and my BP is in normal ranges. My OB is watching me like a hawk though. One advantage I have is that I am 10 pounds lighter going into this pregnancy than I was with the first.

Christopher doesn't hit as much as he throws things when he is mad. We are working on it but it is tough. We are trying to teach him the word "gentle" especially since we have cats and it is definitely working. If we say "gentle" he will pat the cats instead of hitting them.

User Tag List