Mothering Forum banner

Nov~Dec 2002 tots

13K views 547 replies 32 participants last post by  eilonwy 
#1 ·
OK, We've officially moved to a new thread. Welcome back to all the wonderful mamas who like to chat about their babies born in the winter of 2002.

All new mamas are welcome, too! Come on in, brag about your baby, get to know us crazy mamas, and have some fun

For all who need a recap, I'm Leah, 24, SAHM to Zachary (12/3/02), and foster mama to Julianna (2/27/03) and Crystal (7/29/96).

See less See more
#102 ·
She IS cute!!! Even if we didn't say so, she would still be a little beauty! Her face is so expressive, she looks like she knows so much. Again, it's nice to see what she looks like finally, after hearing stories about her for months! :LOL

Here's a little "get pregnant" vibe for ya, brayg!

#104 ·
Yeah, that link was great. The music is what made me get misty eyed. I especially loved the expressions on the kids' faces when their brother was coming out, not knowing what to expect but probably thinking "This is SO cool!" Wow, what a miracle childbirth is. Amazing...

#106 ·
I know we've talked about this before but let me just tell you that signing with Ds is great! He only knows one..."more" but uses it so well. We didn't start till about 14 months and he signed it right back to me that first time. Now he uses is a lot to ask for something to eat. Just over this past weekend he started asking for regular food. Before he only ate if I offered him something, otherwise he nursed. He is still nursing a ton but actually going into the kitchen and signing for more and then getting food...it's so great to communicate so clearly. ANd he is so excited when he gets what he asked for. THis is so great, I can't believe how much I love him!

THat link to the birth was so cool, really makes me think about another one! what if I got anohter one as great as DS??? Makes me cry to think about it!

#108 ·
I'm pretty sure that baby is an MDC baby.. but not positive.

And I still couldn't see the pictures, Mamajaza..
. I too love hearing how cute my Bean is. I know he's adorable, but I feel better about it when I hear it from other people. :LOL

#110 ·
This thread moves fast. I looked in early this morning for a quick check-in. I can usually count on Kerc for an early monday morning entry, tho not today. When I logged on this time there was almost an entire page to read

*Mamajaza* I can't access the pics either. It looks like you have to have an account with shutterfly to view them. Did you have Haeven at home? Blessings on the UC. You might let us know when you go into labor and we can send some loving, healthy, peaceful vibes your way. Just a thought

Eilonwy, same goes for you. And hpjohnson, you three. Maybe we should have an online 'birthingway' for our pregnant mamas.

I saw the birth video also. It was lovely, the little baby looked so present when he was born. And I agree, that moment when he looked into his mama's eyes was powerful. I watched it the first time without sound, not realizing there was music accompanying it. Then I read all the posts about how great the music was so I turned the sound on and watched it again. Quite a different experience. No
here tho, I think I'm in the minority on that one. No pp AF either so that might explain it.

Brayg blessings on ttc. Not sure if I mentionned before how sweet your boys look in their pics.

#112 ·
*Mamajaza*- that link times out your session if you haven't accessed the site recently, so there must be a better way to do that... I see people giving links to shutterfly all the time, so...?
: I'll let you know if I find out anything!

#114 ·
Mamajazza-- I have a question for you... Why do you want to have a UC birth? (Not flaming you, just curious). I'm not sure what UC stands for exactly, but I am guessing it means something like unattended. I am curious as to why people want to do this. I had Scarlett at home and it was a wonderful experience, so I understand that part, but I loved having my midwife and doula around. Do you not have any midwives close that you like? I loved my midwife and it felt wonderful to birth in the presence of such beautiful strong women. My mom and best friend were also there; it felt wonderful to me to share such a powerful amazing experience with them.
Anyone else who has done this before is welcome to chime in too.

#115 ·
Why do I want to have an UC (unassisted childbirth).....

1. There is NO midwives in my area that are free for July.
2. The doctor that I saw for a couple of visits is great, but she is in a team of 4 other doctors, including MY EX-BOYFRIEND"S DAD. I would have no way of know which of them would be at the hospital at the time of my delivery. They are the most alternative doctors around, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with any more "medicalized" doctors.
3. I don't want to have my baby in the hospital anyways, and they don't do home births
4. I believe birth to be a natural thing that doesn't need to be undertaken in an emergency setting, unless I had a history of problems...
5. Which I don't. Haeven was born after three pushes, and I was semi-reclining, so her descent was slightly impeded. I can get babies out *quick*
6. I have regrets about having the midwife there for her birth. She did things that were unneccessary because she wanted to prove herself, as I made the mistake of telling her I was considering UC earlier in the pregnancy
7. I'm very independant, and I know that I can do it
8. I want to be in charge of *how* I give birth, as when I had the midwife last time, I wanted to give birth in an *empowering* position, like standing up, or squating, and she wouldn't let me.

9. I want my baby all to myself!
when I gave birth with the MW, I felt like she gave me the baby, and that's just not right, IMO.
10. In the rare occurance of a problem, I live very close to a hospital.

By all means, I don't think UC is for everyone. But I for one, want to trust my body and instincts about having one, it's fine. Some people need the reassurance of a doctor, I just don't. I find that it impedes my ability to birth. I want my family with me, and memories that go beyond description. I hope that answers your question.

#116 ·
Thanks!
I can definetly understand your no hospital stance.
Your last midwife doesn't seem like the type of person I think of when I hear midwife. I think of mine... very hands off, just supportive, definetly not proving herself, and trying to empower me in my birth process.
I wish you a wonderful birth; and I hope everything goes how you want it.

#117 ·
Ds is asleep after some swaying and singing in the sling. His little body is wrapped around a dream only he knows. The house is quiet and not too messy. Some dishes in the sink, a few toys on chairs. I'm tired but content with this present moment. This moment full of grace and moonlight and cool night air. There is still a load of diapers to be put into the dryer and some clothes to fold. There are always things to do. Right now, while things are still, the day and it's activities seems far away. This morning of sand castles and water play, chai and the arrival of mail are all in the kingdom of another time.

Far away from this night. This night that is a gesture. This night that is opening. This night that has beautiful hands. Poetry without words. Soon I'll creep into bed and begin the sun-down of nursing. Soft little hands searching out my warmth and comfort until the light unfolds itself across the sky in the morning. And then we'll begin again. Gratitude.

Sleep well mamas

#120 ·
hijacking thread --> so UC means unassisted as in no trained people, just family? Somehow I just imagined that it meant you all by yourself.

---edited out a question that is i can't find a good way to word. ---

I *DO* think it is really a neat thing to have a baby surrounded by family and for you to be the person who says how things go.

and babies....is it normal that my kid calls any 4 legged creature a puppy?? this morning she was banging on the window, yelling puppy, puppy and i looked out and there was a squirel

#121 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brayg
Now, I would
to have a hospital birth in a tub. With 2 c-sections already and the fact that tub births in a hospital are pretty scarce yet, I don't think that'd happen.

hey so we up here in the sticks (lol!) are hearing ALL the time about how progressive minneapolis is about birth. like there's a tub for every mama.

and typing that up made me think we really should try to meet up sometime soon. I may be in the cities in the next month or so. You wouldn't be able to meet erin, but I could meet you!

#122 ·
kerc- I've heard it is VERY common for kids to refer to all animals as "dogs" (or whatever) for awhile, until they can tell the difference. Zachary refers to everything round as a ball ("ba!")- grapefruits, oranges, apples, cotton balls, round-shaped candles, EVERYTHING! If he sees something round that even resembles a ball, he wants to throw it LOL.

Today Zach said his own name for the first time. I was talking to him, pointing to me and saying "Mama", pointing to him and saying "Zachary", etc. Julianna crawled over and he pointed at her and said "Nanna", and then pointed to his chest and said "Sack".

#123 ·
yes, that's normal language development, whether it be apples for spheres or horse for four legd creatures.

i dunno if there is a tub for every mamma in mpls but i remember hearing that half the births were with nurse midwives, and that most of the units had tubs (the day i had reed there were four times as many births as usual so i did not end up with a room with queen bed and tub....i remember the midwife rolling her eyes)

i want unassisted birth for the next time, if there is a next time. so much that i placed it as criteria for having sex again though i have an iud now.
unassisted means yes, no outside monitors. i did have three decent births and did love my midwives, but its not the same as keeping my energy and power and knowing my body. and knowing my husband's vibe and my reaction to it, which has affected my births. training is relative. and when you decided unassisted, you also know that if you have serious problems you can always go to a hospital. i would also like to explain that in homebirth, a midwife would not do anything extraordinary that would compromise her career or the mother and baby's life. i guess except for when my first lay midwife. who stuck with me when clay was almost a month late (two weeks was the legal limit). homebirth and uc are beautiful things that appear normal and boring, compared to the parade of tech and hecticness of the hospital route.

i would also like to loudmouth that i think it is more brave to go to the hospital, it is a monumental feat to deliver vaginally with pitocin, odd to me the idea of recovering from an episiotomy, and bizarre the idea of staying still a contraction while they do an epidural. for me homebirth is the path of least resistance. i'm also one of those silly control freaks that would end up with csections if i had gone near the norm down here.

okay, back to my shell. i'm pretty grumpy these days, with allergies and such. of course i need to shake myself out of it since i'm fostering all time whine records.

#124 ·
Quote:
hey so we up here in the sticks (lol!) are hearing ALL the time about how progressive minneapolis is about birth. like there's a tub for every mama.
I s'pose that's right, but I'm a good 40 minutes on a real good day away from those city hospitals. I'm down here in the south metro--guess I'll have to look into it more when I get pg again.

Quote:
we really should try to meet up sometime soon
That'd be great--LMK when, where and how.

I'm just going to paste the thread here instead of re-typing out what Owen got yesterday. My poor baby. It's now 2:20 am and he sleeping soundly (since about 8:30, PTL) but I'm up. Grrrr...

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=134350

#126 ·
Brayg where are you. My first midwife is awsome and works at a birthing center in Olympia? Olivia? right outside the cities that do water boirths almost exclusively (of coure if you didn't want one you wouldn't be pressured to have one).

her name is Edi weiss-haultzbaur. not sure of the spelling but she is great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.