Nov~Dec 2002 tots - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2004, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
27 pounds & 34 inches.. such a big girl!

Does it seem to anyone else that only yesterday you were looking at a tiny new baby and now you're looking at a toddler person and it just happened overnight, by magic? I was watching Eli asleep today and he just looked so big to me, I can't believe that my little baby has gotten so big! And he's a little tiny guy! :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2004, 01:10 AM

that reminds me....a general indication of adult height is derived from doubling the height at two years.

lilyka you crack me up. cos you figured out what ava wanted anyway. at least it's not perpetual back arching for cheetos, which is what ruby wanted yesterday and today from other people's snacks.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

My friend and her 7 yr old DD are visiting from Washington (I used to live there), and they've stayed at our house the past two weekends. We've gone to the lake both Saturdays, and it's just beautiful! We take the boat out to a sandbar and meet up with other friends with kids. The kids play in the sand, and throw rocks into the water, and enjoy the sunshine. The only problem is that both my babies fight tooth and nail not to take a nap. Zach will nurse and nurse and eventually give in and fall asleep, but the second I try to put him down and he realizes he's not in bed he'll wake up screaming. Julianna drinks bottle after bottle and rubs her eyes and cries, but will not let herself fall asleep. Last weekend they both finally gave up and slept for an hour on a blanket on the beach, but this weekend was horrible! I bet it was the wind that was bothering them, now that I think about it...

We're really having a great spring. The weather is nice and warm, cool enough to be outside all day, and warm enough to go to the lake and swim. I'm enjoying it thoroughly- dreading the days of 100+ degree weather that are to come... Ugh...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 04-18-2004, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will have to take Ava to the post office and weigh her. the last time we had her weighed she was 26# and 11 months old. I don't think she has gained anything since then. She had actually gone down a pound fom her 9 month weigh in. she is definitely getting longer. I walked in and she had turned sideways in the bed. adn she almost stretched the entire length of it! of a queen size bed. crazyness.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-18-2004, 05:02 PM

At my 2 year height, doubled, I would have been 6'1" by now.. but I am 5'10". I wish I was 6'1" :LOL I think Haeven will be taller than me.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:31 PM

My doubled 2-year height made me just over five feet, which is where I am; I know this because my mother told me about it when I was 9 or 10. She said that I'd probably stop growing fairly shortly (no pun intended) because I was 4'10", and she didn't think I'd make it much past 5'. :

I hope Eli is taller than that! :LOL

My nieces should both be really tall by that logic, especially the younger one. Of course, they have a tall father (his whole family is tall!)

Old 04-18-2004, 09:30 PM

leah, that sounds like way too much fun. i wouldn't be able to nap either.

i remember something about sharing. good luck with that ladies. it is a difficult one to instill without organic social community, and annoying enough to wish for a week in daycare or school just to teach them the hard way. the other day our homeschool group was laughing about how we don't do sharing. (a schoolboy was pestering one of the kids to "share" his lightsaber and went to the trouble of finding the mamma to complain). taking turns can work with a bit of cleverness and distraction, and otherwise the goal is for true generosity and the patience to wait. which does happen eventually......haha, i'm laughing thinking about how many times i've yelled about : please just let him have the durned thing. and i have to remind myself that i don't like to share my things either. in fact i'm more protective about my stuff and the way i do things than other people (forks go up in the dishwasher!)......good thing i'm propagating these genes, huh?

i know, it's a habit i got from my mom that want to tone down (no one can throw away trash correctly around her). but all my stuff gets broken and ruined and my home gets disgusting. maybe it's a money thing. if i felt i could afford time and money to replace items than i would be not so antsy. let's see, according to the wise woman in me, if i don't care so much then they wouldn't break stuff, maybe? i guess i need to rethink my childproofing schemes. but i want so much to be continuum about objects and function......maybe i should just find a way to hire out my kids as consumer testers, since they are such experts at dismantling.

alright, i'll measure soon.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:55 PM

hola,
just checking in for a bit -- i'm trying be online less at work. more time spent working = more time with my family.

we just hosted a LLL enrichment meeting on cloth diapering. Also slings -- kind of interesting on both counts. I got to see in person one of those didymos slings. makes a mama want one REALLY bad. Too bad we already have a backpack, front pack and maya wrap. I think I might have to sew one up and see if I can talk erin into riding on my back in it.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-18-2004, 11:06 PM

We took Mariah to a WBC at the end of March, she was 31 1/2 inches long and almost 20lbs. Long and lean she is.

That is really interesting about doubling the height at 2. I will have to write that down somewhere or I will forget!!

Someday I will figure out how to post pics to a website so y'all can see my little Zoomba. Maybe this summer.........

Do any of you have nicknames for your little one(s)? Do you use their given name or their nickname more?? I started calling Mariah "Zoomba" around the time she started crawling and would "zoom" around the apartment so quickly. I tend to call her Mariah or Mariah Rose more than Zoomba, but dh almost exclusively calls her Zoomba or Zoomey (nickname on top of nickname!!). Surprisingly she answers to all of these (when she wants to answer! Sometimes we go through all of them and still get no response! Stubborn!!)

Just curious...

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. We did.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:34 PM

Madeline is Poo which is short for princess poop which goes back to a NICU incedent and some really good distance and aim. :LOL

Lilyka shortened naturally to Licky so she gets called Licky B (b is short for baby) or just Lick.

Ava is Bava (short for Baby ava) or Steve or Avy or Avy bean occaisionally bavy. She answers to all. Steve happened one day when I was sick of everyone assuming she was a boy and when they said "my what a cute little fellow you have i said "thanks his name is steve." It also goes back to a carton where one of the characters was " Hey Steve" (www.homestartrunner.com - look under strong bad e-mails. I think it is called the greatest cartoon ever. it is pretty fiunny in a twisted so bad you have to keep watching kind of way)

anyhooooooo, didn't get her weighed today because just as we were walking out the door a huge hail storm blew in . one minute it was sunny then dark. I called dh to tellhim we were about to leave and within a minute I said "holy crap looks like a storm is gonna be here soon, 30 second later I quickly hung up and started strappin stuff down. I git the bikes on the porch the recycling bin reassembled and put in our windless place and the lid to the sand box on and then the hail started pelting me. about every 5 second they doubles in size until they were the size of, . . . of. . . . well biogger than peanut m&ms and smaller than pingpong balls. I sent the girls to the basement, closed the windows (which I had just opened" turned onthe news, and then it was over. j ust like that. our lawn was completely covered with ice in about 6 minutes. weirdest thing. It didn't come back but I wasn't about to risk going anywahere. So my chunky monkey still hasn't gotten weighed.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:45 PM

DH and I call Christopher either by his given name or Chris, Bubba, and when I was pregnant with him Peanut. Why I call him Bubba I don't know. He got the name Peanut, because they did an ultrasound at 8 weeks when I thought I was having a miscarriage and he looked like a peanut in the ultrasound. Currently we call DS #2 "lil' bit". DS will show up in September.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 04-19-2004, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilyka
It also goes back to a carton where one of the characters was " Hey Steve" (www.homestartrunner.com - look under strong bad e-mails. I think it is called the greatest cartoon ever. it is pretty fiunny in a twisted so bad you have to keep watching kind of way)
I have seen that website, it is funny. I had totally forgotten about it though until you brought it up :

Quote:
Originally posted by lilyka

anyhooooooo, didn't get her weighed today because just as we were walking out the door a huge hail storm blew in . one minute it was sunny then dark. I called dh to tellhim we were about to leave and within a minute I said "holy crap looks like a storm is gonna be here soon, 30 second later I quickly hung up and started strappin stuff down. I git the bikes on the porch the recycling bin reassembled and put in our windless place and the lid to the sand box on and then the hail started pelting me. about every 5 second they doubles in size until they were the size of, . . . of. . . . well biogger than peanut m&ms and smaller than pingpong balls. I sent the girls to the basement, closed the windows (which I had just opened" turned onthe news, and then it was over. j ust like that. our lawn was completely covered with ice in about 6 minutes. weirdest thing. It didn't come back but I wasn't about to risk going anywahere. So my chunky monkey still hasn't gotten weighed.
That is so crazy!! And definetley a good reason why you didn't way her today! Being from S. Texas I can't even imagine what your day was like!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:23 AM

i'm glad we aren't the only ones with a kooky nick name for our kiddo!! (I'm thinking about Steve for Ava and Princess Poop here, not so much Bubba)

Although on the Bubba for Christopher issue, I started calling my DH Boo one day for no apparent reason and it has stuck for years now!! Isn't it funny how these things work?

I'm still curious to hear everyone elses nicknames for your dc, if you have any.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:07 AM

reed has given ruby a multitude of names. the best one is "professor sabe" (like wasabi?). she is named ruby mei and mei mei means little sister in a few asian languages, so we use that alot.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:55 AM

ooo, that should have been
www.homestarrunner.com sorry about those pop ups

Old 04-19-2004, 01:20 PM

(I know I said I was going to be offline today. taking a coffee break!)

erin is .... peanut, bunny and most often "champ" her dad gave her that name and it just sorta stuck.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:12 PM

haeven is bubby, stinky poo face, angel, sweets, ... got the stinky poo face name from my bro, who calls his son elwynn that sometimes.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Zachary's nicknames: of course Zach, and Zachary Soza when he's in trouble, but mostly we call him "Mac". Dh started calling him Mr. MacHenry (Mack-en-ree) when he was little, then it shortened to Mr. Mac, and now Mac. Sometimes we'll mix it up and call him Smack Down or Zacharoni. When he was a newborn I had to force myself to call him Zachary, because I called him "Pumpkin" all the time LOL. We used to call him Spike for awhile when his baby hair stood up straight.

Julianna's nicknames: Julianna or Juliana, however you want to say it; Julianna Rose when she's in trouble; "Nanna" from Zach. Osa, which means bear in Spanish, is the most common one. She also answers to Jul, Osa Bosa, BoBo, SoBo, and the Spanish pronunciation of Juliana (Hoo-lee-on-ah).

Funny to hear every else's nicknames, too!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 04-19-2004, 08:19 PM

Eliyahu's Nicknames: Eli, EliBean, EliBellyBean, BeanBean, CutieMan, Sugar Pea, Sugar Plum, LoveyMan, LoveyMuffin, LoveyBean, SweetieBean, CuteAndHandsome, BeanBoy, Bananas, Nanas, MiniBuns. He also gets "awards" from me all the time... for example "Most Kissable goes to.... EliBeanBean!!!" (lots of kisses and cheering from Daddy). :LOL Most Kissable/Huggable/Loveable/Nursable/Washable... You get the idea.

NewBean's Nicknames: NewBean, MiniBean, SiblingBean, SisterBean, SisterBaby. I'm sure more will come after she's born & we name her. :LOL

I have a niece named Elizabeth; I used to call her "A Little Bit" but she has long since ceased to be a little bit of anything; she's a big girl! I call her Beasty-Beast, which is derived from "ElizaBeast of the Apocalypse". She's also MooseBaby or BigGirl ("I'm a baby girl big girl!") When she was learning to stand up & walk, I called it "The Rise and Fall of the Elizabethan Empire", which was hilarious. :LOL She has a sister whom I call Chibi, so when I call them or refer to them together they are Chibi and Libby. My mother calls her "Lizabeast", "Lizardbeast" or "Lizardbreath". :LOL

My other niece is Chibi, Chibi-moon, Usagi, Usagi-moon, Usako, Usagi-chan, Moon-moon.. you get the idea. I also call her Skinny or Slim Shady sometimes. :LOL She's a stringbean.

I don't see my nephew often enough to have a nickname for him other than the obvious shortening of his name. My brother was calling him "Dr. Poopenstien" or "Poopstain" for short, which I did not approve of.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:10 PM

Scarlett is sweatpea or sugarbunch or sweetiepie, but mostly Scarlett. My family doesn't do nicknames, I guess I have never thought about why. After reading all of these maybe I should come up with some good ones!

Also, Scarlett is totally into asking why? after I tell her something. She even says it in this high pitched raised voice, question format. Right now she is walking around in swim goggles. She thinks she is so funny and she's right!:LOL

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:33 PM

You gals have been chatty lately!

Owen started out as Peanut (the hospital staff named him that because he was so little) but I eventually started calling him Monkey (which I suspect was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy). I do about half and half.

lilyka--we got that storm too (Twin Cities) last night. Our power went out for about an hour. We were in the basement for a couple of hours, just in case.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brayg
lilyka--we got that storm too (Twin Cities) last night. Our power went out for about an hour. We were in the basement for a couple of hours, just in case.

we got the storm too -- but we got cheated on the warm weather. the high was like 57, when I had about 10 people at my house it was like 37, sheeting rain and howling winds. The waves on lake superior were big enough to surf on.

Kinda OT: I had a really crappy work day. Meaning crap at work and I didn't get crap done. then came home to a rejection letter in the mail and then had to head out to fed ex to get some stuff in the mail -- 1 hr trip due to unexpected detour. urgh!!!

More OT: My dh is having a hernia repaired tomorrow and he's making such a big deal out of it that I am worried about being a not-single, but yet single mom. Meaning he's still here but i'm doing all the work. and then some. I don't think it will be a big deal, I keep telling him I had MAJOR abdominal surgery (csection) AND had to feed and diaper a kiddo (which I had never done) and I lived to be 29! I think the key problem is his standard of reference: he had scoliosis when he was 13 and had his lower vertebrae fused together. Which was a 1 or 2 week hospital stay and was totally misserable.

I was totally worked up while out on the fed ex run and then came home to my sweet dh putting my sweet dd to bed in her big girl bed. Cuddles and snuggles and dh came out all happy he got his baby girl to sleep with no mom-juice and no tears.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:48 AM

It was 88 here yesterday before the storm hit. Unbelievable!

Sorry bout the crappy day Kristin.

No boob juice? Has she done that before? Owen has never been to bed without it. I'm sure he'd be just fine, but I don't have a desire to find out yet.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brayg
No boob juice? Has she done that before?
yes, she's done it. On occasion I have to travel to the twin cities to use the lab down there. i usually nurse, then leave at 6 am and return home around 11pm. He used to put her to sleep with a bottle of ebm, then with a sippy cup with cows milk. Then i told him i thought it was bad for babies to go to sleep with milk in their mouth so he stopped the milk and gave her water. And tonight no cup whatsoever. She's been needing more and more mom juice these past few weeks I think she's on the verge of something big (talking? robbing banks? using the potty?). So tonight was a surprise to come home and find her in bed.

I;ve been asking dd if she wants to sleep in her crib or in her big girl bed every night. Usually she gets up after nursing and walks over to the crib. I guess tonight she wanted to stay in the bed cause she just crawled under the covers

Old 04-20-2004, 01:01 AM

wow! Can't imagine Owen staying in a bed. He NEEDS the crib or he'd never get to sleep. Neither would I! :LOL
Old 04-20-2004, 01:15 AM

Scarlett is the same way... she needs her crib. Sometimes she will wake up in the night and I will bring her to bed with me. She toss and turns and finally I'll say "do you want to sleep in your bed." She will nod her head yes and then I will lay her back down and she goes back to sleep. (we do share a room though)

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilmiss'mama
Right now she is walking around in swim goggles. She thinks she is so funny and she's right!:LOL
:LOL :LOL :LOL

The visual I have for this is too cute
Old 04-20-2004, 02:38 AM

I hope it is ok for me to jump in!

My name is KC and I am a SAHM to Zachary born 12/28/02. He is a beautiful, friendly soul who is working on expanding his vocabulary and running even faster than before!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:25 AM

hey kc!

kristin, good luck. i know a little too much of what you're going through. many of you know that my dh hurt his back two years ago in my first trimester with ruby. he ruptured a disc and layed in bed for a year. he is working part time never more than 20 hours now. the past three weeks he has not been able to pick up ruby, which he started doing occasionally for the past six months or so. his pain is for the most part the same but he is learning to deal with it beautifully, especially getting off the narcotics after surgery last year.

probably the hardest for me is just having the dynamic of having him around and me working to get alone time. i do treasure his company and for a long time it was hard to take care of him since he was such an invalid but not accepting of much help (and the drugs were crazy). the weirdest is just dealing with my kids not understanding and having to monitor all the interactions (what i mean by that is jumping on him while he wallowed in pain, and them feeling rejected when he yelled and locked the door). i really think that some men and boys are not as aware of their bodies (and therefore overly aware when there are problems) and a little more self-centered. these traits have served men's survival.

ruby has been a real pleasure lately, so much that i had forgotten what it was like because she was cranky and sick and fighting being sick for the past few weeks. i stuck with some homeopathics and i think this is the first time i can officially say they have worked for us for an illness.

maybe y'all can laugh at this. clay has some favorite new shorts i made him today that he specifically requested, and i'm a little worried about him wearing them tomorrow to a homeschool field trip even though it is a group open to all faiths and beliefs. i did not realize what they would look like until they were done. they are bright red spandex shorts with a long skinny red spandex tail.....
Old 04-20-2004, 08:48 AM

KC!

User Tag List