Nov~Dec 2002 tots - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 548 Old 04-20-2004, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're so funny, Jasanna! :LOL

Oh, casina, I felt so bad for that cow as I read your post... Ow!

When Zachary was a newborn he was very sensitive to chocolate and dairy. He would SCREAM in pain after I nursed him. He would get gas if I ate onions. I slowly started to eat chocolate again, but never really got back into dairy (accept butter!). Now, nothing bothers him. And I never gave up on coffee!!! I am so addicted, without my 2 cups of fuel in the morning, I'm exhausted. It's so black DH calls it "motor oil" LOL. Oh wait, I did give up caffeine while I had preterm labor, but I had coffee the morning after DS was born! (I'm bad, I know!)

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 01:12 AM

I posted pics of my girls! Check out my sig

eta:these were taken about 3 months ago. I'll try to get some recent ones up soon.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#243 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 01:46 AM

Scarlett really is "so cute" as her overalls say. Big beautiful brown eyes too.
#244 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 AM

awww...they are adorable!
#245 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 12:32 PM

I love this group of mamas there are the first timers so that I know I am not alone and then the experienced mamas so I know what to do about it.
Do I remember reading a long time ago about some mamas noticing differences in dc's nursing behavior when AF returned? AF is here and dd seems less happy with nursing. Could just be teething I guess. Love to all the babies and mamas. You are so beautiful.
PS:THE NIPPLE TWEAKING HAS GOT TO STOP!

Maria
#246 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 01:36 PM

milk tastes a little different with af, and your nipple sensitivity is higher.
all this tweaking talk.....that's why i'm a big nighttime nurser.
#247 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by casina
all this tweaking talk.....that's why i'm a big nighttime nurser.
Casina, how does the nighttime nursing help? I still nightime nurse Mariah, have never restricted her at all. Since the move she is nursing at night about 3 - 4 times. But she is also tweaking, espesially when falling asleep for nap or night.

Thank you for all your lovely, sage advice.

P.S. lilmiss'mama, your girls are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing their pics.
#248 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 07:33 PM

Just want to interject, quite after the fact of course, that my 2-year height indicated I would be 6 feet tall. Well, I hit 5'4'' in middle school and that's where I still am. Not surprising, since my family is short on tall. I just shot up real quick, being one of the tallest in my age group until everyone else got their adult height at puberty. Dd is tall for her age, and people say, oh, she'll be tall as an adult because her father's tall, but I'm not ready to make that prediction...

She's teething REALLY badly right now, an upper molar. It's so swollen that it's purple and feels as squishy as a water balloon. I'm sure it will bleed when it comes through. It's causing her to nurse much more than she has been. She had even nightweaned herself until this happened. I was sad that she was weaning, but decided it was my first step in learning to accept her growing up. I always offer her the breast first, so I don't feel the weaning has much to do with my signals, just her preferences.
#249 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 08:01 PM

Most babies don't tweak in their sleep, and that's why nightnursing helps. I know that's why I've always been a big fan; even when Eli was teething and biting me during the day, or when he first got control of his head and started popping off and turning every time someone walked past or made a noise, the nightnursing was a beautiful thing. I'd wake up with a full boob, he'd be just turning his head a bit... I'd latch him on and he'd nurse that boob flat. No funny business, no twiddling, no biting, just the world's most efficient and effective breastpump. It was such a relief! As a bonus, if I could stay awake, I could stare at and enjoy my son in the twilight of a nightlight, just adore my beautiful little Sugar Plum instead of watching like a hawk with a finger poised to break the latch and a tube of lansinoh warming in my bra. It was like the nursing relationship got back to the newborn days when there was nothing but me, Eli, and the nursies. Very nice!

I always wondered why people are so keen to nightwean first. The way I see it, I'll be willing to continue nightnursing long after daytime nursing has lost it's charms. :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#250 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 08:46 PM

eilonwy, I'm so with you on the nightnursing. It is just the coziest time of my day. His little body curled in the fetal position. It is such a timeless moment. I love how I catch a glimpse of him in the middle of the night, and he looks just like a newborn.

Molars are the worst! Especially when they take months to totally come in. Julian has become a little hylands addict. He insists on taking them himself. Picking up one little pill at a time.

What kinds of things do you all do for yourself? I started horseback riding lessons over the winter. i have wanted to for several years. It really gives me something to look forward to, and a chance to socialize.
#251 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Its my duty to drink them Someone has to drink them or the poor coffee shop on the corner will surely go out of business. That is how I justify getting a $4 drink full of stuff I shouldn't be having :LOL)

I wish someone here served organic coffee and made them for real rather from powder. I was already addicted to them (from starbucks) before I relized they were a powder mix. Then i couldn't stop. every shop (both chain and local) made them from the powder. different flavor, still instant.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#252 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 11:11 PM

What do I do for myself?? I wish :LOL Really, I don't have much that I do for my own pleasure, except watch The Sopranos every week. Being a single mama and not much extra $$ for a babysitter; I don't get out much. My mom watches the girls for me while I am at work, so I don't like asking her to watch them at night too.
I am studying to be a doula, so I guess that is something I do for myself. Plus, I just found out this week I got the grants and loans I need to go to school for shiatsu, so that will start this fall!! We are required to take electives and one of our choices is pilates. I have really wanted to try this since it is supposed to improve your posture. I am definetly looking forward to that!
Have any of you tried pilates?

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#253 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 11:28 PM

Quote:
What kinds of things do you all do for yourself?
I come here! :LOL
#254 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilmiss'mama
Plus, I just found out this week I got the grants and loans I need to go to school for shiatsu, so that will start this fall!!
Congrats!!
#255 of 548 Old 04-21-2004, 11:52 PM

eilonwy/rynna, you said it perfectly.
#256 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 08:56 AM

I'm sure you can tell I'm a big fan of nightnursing.

What do I do for myself... Well, I try to get to Torah study once a week, and I really enjoy that. I always feel better when I make it. I love to do needlework, but right now I'm working on a birth sampler for NewBean, so does that count? :LOL I'll give that a definate maybe. Oh, and I read every chance I get. That generally means sneaking a paragraph or two when I go to the bathroom...: I also read while I'm nursing, so much so that Eli's taken to bringing me a book when he wants to nurse. He'll pick up my book off the bed, bring it to me, hand it to me and say "Eli wants to nurse!" : :LOL He's such a LoveyBean! :LOL

#257 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 11:44 AM

ahhhhh--->i've become a not single, but single mama. my dh can't do anything really to help me. My heart goes out to those mamas who really ARE single mamas. I don't know how you do it. My mantra has become "six weeks, i can handle six weeks." Meaning dh is not supposed to lift anything more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks.

What do i do for myself? ---> sew after dd goes to bed. I'm getting back into knitting because i usually sew clothes for my dd, but someone gave me 2 yrs worth of clothes last week. What a difference it makes to have more than 5 outfits!

ummm and I also exercise! walk with babe in backpack, stroller or sling. run, chase my dd, ride bike with babe in trailer, ski with baby in trailer.

for getting grants and whatnot for school.

lilyka -- don't beat yourself up for coffee drinks. life's too short. there's always SOMETHING that is the forbidden fruit right?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#258 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eilonwy
Most babies don't tweak in their sleep, and that's why nightnursing helps.

I always wondered why people are so keen to nightwean first. The way I see it, I'll be willing to continue nightnursing long after daytime nursing has lost it's charms. :LOL
Well not my ds. Last night his little bear cub paws were all over me. Mainly just patting and smoothing but the occasional tweak. I imagine how wonderful nightnursing would feel if you were just doing it once, twice heck even 3 or 4 times a night but after 10+ times the "twilight of the nightlight" is lost in shadowlands of sleep-wake-wake-wake-sleep-wake-wake etc etc. That said I'm still just not ready to nightwean

I have to admit tho, last night ds nursed only twice. He probably woke about 8 or 9 times tho and I spent a good part of the night patting him and soothing him, offering the binky and positioning myself so he could have his hands on my body so I don't see that nightweaning would do much good. I've been waking in the morning with a very achey side.

I've still got a bad headache which I think must be hormonal. Punkinprincessmama belated birthday wishes to you. Lilmiss's mama great news about your grant. Your girls are adorable. I'm planning to do my first doula weekend workshop this fall with alace.

As for what I do for moi? Well, dh and ds spend one morning a week together so that's my time off. About 3 hrs total. I usually go out for breakkie and then do errands. MDC is a big part of my 'down time' at this point in life. I'm probably going to be studying tibetan this fall if I can swing it. Excercise is something I'm just starting to reconsider :LOL. Yoga would be helpful I think but I don't have alot of motivation for it right now.

Mona where are U?
#259 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Today I am doing something for myself... It is our 4th wedding anniversary, so DH and I are going out for a few child-less hours. I told him I don't even want to TALK about kids. Only adult conversation allowed!!!

I work-out almost every day. I have a Curves that's less than 5 minutes away, but I drive to the one that's 10 minutes away so I can exercise with my mom. We gossip and work out our stesses and it is actually fun. I seriously think I'd die if I didn't get that hour or two alone each day. And DH certainly doesn't mind watching the kids while I'm gone, since he enjoys the results of my hard work!

I'm really conflicted about weaning DS. He is SOOOOOOOO addicted to the boob, it's unreal. He just comes up to me to nurse whenever he gets bored, sad, tired, thirsty, etc. Sometimes I don't mind, but just the past few days it feels very draining when he nurses. I don't really have a point to this little aside, but I guess I needed to vent about it, LOL...

Happy Day, Mamas!!!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#260 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 03:41 PM

Happy Anniversary Leah!

I went to Curves for a couple of years. I loved it. I lost 70 lbs in 7 months. I continued going while pg w/Owen even. But after he was born, it was just too hard. I don't have anyone I trust to watch him during the day. Dh works between 70-90 hours/week from Feb through May. Then once school's out for the summer, I have 2 kids to find someone to watch. It just doesn't work out for me right now, although my goal is to get back there. I have about 30lbs to go to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight (which is still higher than it should be, but realistic and attainable).

I do walk w/Owen in the backpack nearly every day. It was rainy here Tues and Wed so we didn't get out. We'll go again today though. I like it. I'm down 10lbs but it's taken me a month and a half to get there. Ugh!
#261 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy Anniversary.

What do I do for myself? I am learning French. I was doing yoga regularly but got a cold and haven;t done it since. I am teaching myself to play guitar. And I come here. :LOL

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#262 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 05:05 PM

solsticemama-- when i get done with the doula training I am doing online now i am going to start with ALACE too. I was hoping to make it to Tucson by May to go to the weekend workshop, but that doesn't seem like it is going to happen. So, I guess I will just start with the reading requirements first.

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my girls! I really put them up so you guys could have a look. Personally, I like to have a visual, so I thought others might too.

#263 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brayg
I do walk w/Owen in the backpack nearly every day. It was rainy here Tues and Wed so we didn't get out. We'll go again today though. I like it. I'm down 10lbs but it's taken me a month and a half to get there. Ugh!
month and a half -- like 6 weeks? that's not terrible. from what i hear a realistic weight loss that you can keep off is 1.5-3lbs per week. Keep that walking up! and walking is something you can keep doing with multiple kiddos. (this from the woman who was -10 at her 4 week postpartum check up. baby was 9lbs +: ).

leah -- happy anniversary. have fun with dh.

my dh just had that surgery this week. he's unable to help me. Right now though he's on the deck supervising erin who is playing with dish soap and water. Umm, yeah she's soaking wet and it is sunny and about 45 out. My dh told me i would never win mother of the year for that one. I told him I didn't care. erin was having funa nd doesn't appear to be getting too cold. it's warm water after all!

#264 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 05:58 PM

I lost 20lbs my first month when I lost weight before though. I was heavier then too, so maybe that has a lot to do w/it.

We didn't get on our walk today, despite the nice weather. Owen woke up at 5:30 this morning (about 1 1/2 hours earlier than normal) and we had toddler time class today till 11:00. He nursed and conked out at about 11:30. I had to wake him up at about 2:50 so we could go get Jacob from school. I'll shoot for tomorrow. :

-10 lbs? Wow Kristen!
#265 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 07:11 PM

hi mamas!

we went away for the weekend, and then when we came back dd got a cold. her immune system tends to be weak when she is in the midst of hard core teething, so i guess it isn't a surprise, but a total bummer. i'm getting it now too, so ugh.

let's see---- twidling. i do not let dd twidle the other nipple. it just drives me crazy. especially since i'm afraid she is going to hurt me. :LOL the nails! the nails! so i hold the palm of my hand over that nipple, and let her play with the rest of that breast. she also rubs, pinches, tugs at my tummy, back, arm, neck, ect. i try really hard to keep her nails trim, but still have cut marks all over my chest. : she does not do this while sleeping/night nursing, but rubs my back or tummy, which i love.

what do i do for me? um, not much. :LOL mdc, meditate, yoga, qi gong, writing....

food restrictions? lots of 'em.... i stay away from wheat, soy, citrus, caffine, no dairy of any kind.... suits me pretty well as i am mainly a raw food vegan. i had soy today, so i'll see what happens. dd's digestive system is better now that she is older, but her skin still breaks out if i eat the "wrong" thing.
i am jealous of you coffee drinkers. i have a decaf w/ soy milk latte every once few months. heaven!!!

dd's new activity is climbing. she can climb up the stairs, climb up into the rocker, ect. it is pretty exciting. she feels like a real champ when she does it.

oh, nick names--- lots of them. bugga (as in "bugga bugga boo, mama loves you.... :LOL) , monker (from monkey), bubba (from who knows where), katrinka (my mom's nickname for her)..... i guess that's it.

well, that's all for now.

#266 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 08:55 PM

sorry, that was ONLY minus 10 lbs. As in apparently the placenta weighed nothing or else I gained a lot during the first month. I'm not saying which :.

and mona, i agree watching personal satisfaction is great when it comes to climbing. That's what makes the "guess what mom, look what i can do" much more bearable when she's into everything.

in fact, that might be among my favorite parts of watching erin grow up. watching her gain the personal satisfaction of learning to do things.

#267 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 09:29 PM

Eli wants to potty learn. I can't do it right now, I just can't bend over and squat and chase him. I'm too tired, all I want to do is sleep! This is so frustrating for me, and I feel sooo guilty about it! Who ever heard of a kid being ready to learn before his parent? And why couldn't he have waited just three more months?!? He's been 'ready' for a long time now, but recently has decided that he hates wearing diapers and has taken to running into a corner and hiding, removing the diaper (he's gotten very creative about this, and can always do it unless the diaper is pinned on) and peeing/pooping. When he poops, he either comes and tells me about it or he picks it up and hands it to me. : The other day, he brought me a poop and said, simply "Yuck." I had to agree; that is pretty much the definition of "yuck". *sigh*

#268 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 09:38 PM

i had to laugh, as dd also hands me her poop
if i'm lucky it's not all over her. YUCH!!!!!!!
#269 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 11:08 PM

Quote:
sorry, that was ONLY minus 10 lbs. As in apparently the placenta weighed nothing or else I gained a lot during the first month. I'm not saying which
Gotcha! I was thinking -10 from Prepregnancy weight for some reason. :LOL
#270 of 548 Old 04-22-2004, 11:15 PM

hugs to you Rynna, but just a reminder that in 3 months time it would be no better-- you'll have a nursing baby right and sure as anything you sit down to nurse that sweet one and, bam, Eli would want to use the potty.

man, i *wish* my dd was ready. I'm shopping for a potty and a booster (for the kitchen table) this weekend at goodwill. Just in case we're ready for the potty. We ARE ready for the booster.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page