Mothering Forum banner

Nov~Dec 2002 tots

13K views 547 replies 32 participants last post by  eilonwy 
#1 ·
OK, We've officially moved to a new thread. Welcome back to all the wonderful mamas who like to chat about their babies born in the winter of 2002.

All new mamas are welcome, too! Come on in, brag about your baby, get to know us crazy mamas, and have some fun

For all who need a recap, I'm Leah, 24, SAHM to Zachary (12/3/02), and foster mama to Julianna (2/27/03) and Crystal (7/29/96).

See less See more
#4 ·
I have Jackson. Born 11/27/2002. He's doing well. He's definately the hardest of my five kids. Very "spirited" shall we say. I love him dearly but many days I feel like he's going to push me over the edge.
He's very easy to set off and once you have set him off you can expect a good 20 minute tantrum. He really loves The Wiggles (on video or the radio) and I try to save that for the times during the day when I have to be one on one with an older child. I just got The Learning Tower and man is that a life saver! He loves it! Standing up there by mom is just what he needs. I actually got to make dinner tonight with him either crying at my legs or in the Ergo reaching for stuff.

We're still nursing and he sleeps with me when he wants to. He likes his own space, though. He's just learned how to take his diaper covers off. That's a problem. :LOL

#5 ·
Thanks for starting a new one, I tried to read the old one and was overwhelmed, so never joined in.

I'm Jodi, and I've got two children - Lindsey's 2 1/2, and Joshua is 15 1/2 months - born Dec. 17th, 2002.

He is SO into climbing all of a sudden.. he's got really short little legs, so he has to climb onto things and will go out of his way to find a box to climb on to get up where he wants to be.

He's a brown eyed redhead, and was 22 1/2 pounds and 31 inches at his 15 month appt. Got his first tooth at 14 1/2 months, his second 2 days ago - they're his top center teeth rather than the bottom ones, so I've been telling him he's my little easter bunny

we're still nursing, co-sleeping and he loves his sling

#6 ·
ekbladlady, good to hear from you.

ruby mei is sixteen months, spirited, smiley and somewhere near 30 pounds. she climbs and rides the big slides. she pats your head if you are crying. she runs. she carries as many things as she cans, and can gauge the moods of each person in a room in seconds. very serious about dancing and singing and really washes the dishes. she has oodles of charisma. i now know that one is just born with it. it will be really something to see what she does with that power when she grows up. she's slingcarried and nursed and our family of five sleeps together.

#7 ·
Yippee...a new thread. I've been waiting for this

I never posted on the last ones but did enjoy checking in from time to time.
I have Anna....she was born December 16, 2002. She is amazing. She talks so much and it is the highlight of my day to have conversations with her. She is plump (although she is getting taller now) and beautiful and has the most amazing smile. Ok, this proud mama will stop for now.
She is breast fed and has 12 teeth
She just got 4 at once and that was the first time in her short little life so far that she has come close to a tantrum. She walked at 13 months.
We have a pretty solitary life...read and walk alot.
I'm looking forward to being a part of this new thread.

#8 ·
I don't post much but I have been here since we were all pregnant. Seems like we have been through so much together and we don't even 'know' each other.

I have Georgia she was born 12/27/02. I went kicking and screaming into this motherhood thing. I was never going to have kids but my dh 'wore me down'
Now I cannot imagine my life without her.

We are about to start some basic potty training. GA seems ready. When I ask her if she needs a new diaper she always is right. If she says no and I look anyway nothing there. The other day she went to the couch in the study where we change her downstairs and handed me a wrap

She was a late walker. Took her first steps in late feb but ony last week started to walk as transportation. She would not eat any solid food until around 10 months and really didn't eat much until around a year. Now she is the human garbage disposal. She said her first word at 6 months ... dr didn't beilve me until i pointed to a photo of a cat in the office and she said clear as day keedat. Now she has about 100 words and so many cute animal sounds. Elephant is my fav (blows rasberry while raising one arm) I am amazed by how much she understands.

We have been having some sleep issues. She wakes up every 3 hours still and it is hard for me b/c I work 3 days a week. We did the Dr Jay Gordon plan in Dec and it worked great, then we have had one sickness after another. Now that spring is here I hope we can get back to 7 hour stretches.

Welcome to all the new mommas!

Amy

#9 ·

Hi!
DD was born on christmas morning at home, so she is just over 15 mo. We are a non vax, co sleep, bf family. We practice TCS and are pretty much vegan. DD has food sensitivities, so the no dairy part is real easy.

She walked on my birthday- Jan 8. She is still pretty much a breastfed girl (which is funny bc she started getting teeth at 4 mo, and now has 12), but likes a few things here and there. she's been sick w/ roseola, so her appetite really decreased, and she lost a pound. so now she weighs just under 22#. she is only 30 inches tall. so she is small, but for me she seems like a big girl compared to the baby she was last year at this time.

she is starting to climb, loves the garden and being outside, and is a very spirited girl. i love this about her, but it is challenging to stay patient and aware at all times.
she makes me want to be a better person- more conscious and thoughtful and full of love.

she does not talk all that much. in fact, she said more words 4 months ago then she does now. but she knows what things are. lately mama seems to be her favorite word.

wow, i think i've writen enough. can you tell dd is sleeping? :LOL

#10 ·
Guess I should say something about me for all the new mamas.

I'm Rachel, mom to Jacob who is 8 years old and Owen who will be 16 months on the 13th.

I've been on an amazing journey regarding health, baby care, child raising, etc. for the past 2 years and I'm loving where my life is going because of it.

Dh and I were young when we had Jacob and we listened to mainstream ways and doctors. He's pretty much fully vax'd (although we were lucky and delayed a couple for whatever reason), formula fed, etc. Since there is 7 years between my children, I learned a lot before Owen was born. I started out going to breastfeed for as long as I could (thinking that by a year I'd be done) and we were going to selectively vax/delay some.

Well...Owen is still nursing--going strong!
He has never had a vaccine, never had medication of any kind, and has only been to the ped's office twice (WBC). And you know what? He is the healthiest child I know. He's had a couple of colds, which he's managed to kick in a day or two.

Sadly, both my boys are circ'd. Can't change that now, but I will not do it again, that's for sure.

Owen is a very curious, busy toddler. He keeps me on my feet all day long. He's a climber--I'm amazed at what he will try to scale. He's actually very good--haven't had any falls or anything. *whew* He's also a talker. It's so amazing listening to real words come out of that little person.

We have recently taken up walking. Sounds simple, but I can't tell you what a difference it is making for me. I have a backpack carrier. Owen LOVES it and my attitude has greatly improved since I'm actually doing something for myself, but with a happy child in tow.

Anyway...can't wait to get to know the new mamas better!

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brayg
Sadly, both my boys are circ'd. Can't change that now, but I will not do it again, that's for sure.

My first two boys are circ'd too.
I didn't know any better then. My third boy is not circ'd. You're right, you can't go back and change that. I used to beat myself up about it but I don't anymore. I just didn't know. Now I do and I've changed things.

#12 ·
hi mamas (ummm and if any dads are reading, you're welcome to jump in too. it's not an exclusive club!)

my dd Erin is umm, 17
: months. She's not talking too much (mama, dada, puppy, baby, kitty, bubbles and nurse are her words). She's recently a climber of sorts, although she is a very cautious child.

I guess I don't have many labels for us. LOL we don't really fit into many molds. We're still nursing (is that EBF?). she sleeps mostly in her crib, but sometimes mom or dad goes in her room and cuddles her down again in her "big girl bed." We did cosleep for 11 months, but it just didn't work for our family after that. We vaccinate -- in a reasonably informed manner (i.e. not 10 shots in one day). I am a full time phd student and a full time mom (meaning daycare 20 hrs a week and she's with daddy exclusively 20 hrs a week). Erin's skin is super sensitive to paper diaper products so we cloth diaper her (also Erin's dad can't stand the smell of disposables and would rather do laundry than smell perfume on his baby girl).

ummm....diaper changes...I don't think we're ready yet for the potty, but whenever we do a diaper change (on the floor in erin's room on a little blanket) we tell erin "pick out a diaper" and she goes to the basket, pulls out a diaper and brings it over. Then she lies down on the mat. Do you think we should get a potty already? I guess I only know kiddos who've done it at 2+ yrs? And I'm not really ready for my baby to be all grown up

#14 ·
Well this morning I was thinking back to when we were all pregnant and then sharing the early days of our new babies. This is what, the 3rd or 4th 'new' thread? Kind of nice to have that sense of continuity, mamas.

I'm Rose. See my sig line for ds's birth date. We do all the crunchy stuff I guess--ebf, sling, co-sleep, cd etc

Welcome to all the new mamas.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ekblad7
My earliest potty trained kid was 2 1/2. The rest were 3 or older. I'm far too lazy to potty train before that, :LOL
whew. not going to worry about it. hereby ignoring all discussions of potty stuff (IRL mostly, not so much here!) until my dd is really interested.

Rose -- :LOL -- I looked at your sig and didn't REALLY read it and I thought "no birthday there" and then I was like wait a minute. I know when the solstice is

#16 ·
Quote:
I used to beat myself up about it but I don't anymore.
Me too Amy. It took me a long time to get over it, but I realize I was being the best mama I could be then.

We have a potty chair for Owen. It's in the bathroom. He hasn't a clue what it is and I have no desire for him to use it. Not ready for all that work, plus my (er...I mean Owen's :LOL)beautiful diapers wouldn't get used then.

#18 ·
hello! im fern and my son elwynn was born at home dec. 26th 2002. he's a walking, talking, climbing, monster. well not really. maybe sometimes. he is getting molars so he's a bit grumpy these days, and we just moved to a new house. transitions are hard on him. anyways hello to all you mommas with 2002 babies.

#19 ·
Hi, I'm Rynna, mommy to one sweet EliBean Boy, 17 months old. He's small (30", 20 pounds soaking wet and fully clothed) and brilliant and beautiful and he's going to be a big brother soon!
Eli would love help with using the potty right now as he hates being messy and having his pants changed (he has to hold still and stop doing what he's doing) but it will have to wait until after his sibling arrives. He's definately looking forward to having more nursie milk, and I think he's going to be a wonderful big brother to NewBean.

#20 ·
First of all,
s to all the new Mamas here!!!

(And for anyone else who wants to join, just jump right in, don't feel like you have to read back a whole year and a half worth of posts, LOL )

solsticemama, I NEVER knew your name was Rose until just now. How nice to finally know it LOL! I still don't know your DS's name, but I know you are entitled to your privacy. (XmasEve doesn't post her DD's name, either...)

Looks like we all fall into our own little groove, rather than rigidly AP or mainstream, or whatever. I vax, co-sleep, bf, cloth diaper, don't circ., eat meat, and let my kids watch TV (gasp!). I find MDC refreshing (and extremely informative) when it comes to parenting from the heart. I'm glad to know all of you mamas, and it's fun to hear about your parenting styles- and of course I love hearing about the babies!

PS- Zach just went to the doc today and he's 20 lbs. 6 oz., 30 in.... He's a little guy!

#21 ·
ok, i don't feel so bad that dd is not very big. it was getting me concerned, bc she has weighed the same amount since xmas. of course, after she started walking i knew the energy was eating up those calories before they ever got to her tummy or thighs. :LOL
anyway, i'll stop being concerned about that.

#23 ·
My name is Anna. I have 2 girls; my youngest Scarlett is 16.5 months. She was born Nov.19, 2002 at home. I don't vax., she now sleeps in her own bed (which both of us like better!), and she is already weaning herself and only nurses at night. My guess is that she is around 23lbs. She has 4 teeth and is currently getting 2 more plus 1 molar. My oldest is 33 months. They are now at a point where they can play together and it is fun to watch them. I am a single mama, but get a lot of help from my mom, who watches the girls while I work pt. Right now we are located in Nebraska, so if anyone is in the neighborhood let me know!

#24 ·
so I was wondering.. what happens to all those developmental milestone charts after the first year? it's not that i'm worried about eli or that i feel some need to prove just how extraordinary he is.. i was just wondering why there are zillions of things out there for the first year milestones (cutting teeth, sitting up, walking, etc) but like, half as many for the second year and almost none for after that?

#25 ·
well, they aren't physically measureable but there are quite some milestones....i'll have to think about what they are. much of it has to do with realizing that they are individuals and their place in the world. my belief is that most of the first year for humans is an unusual thing when it comes to mammals, hence the milestones. if we were horses our foals would be born at around this stage of development.

i don't fret about size though i tend to have giant heavy kids. one thing to keep in mind is that their weight will not change much in the next year or so. generally they will just get taller and longer and outgrow shoes overnight. ruby has been basically the same weight since nine months.

as for potty training, it really depends on the kid's motor skills and awareness of body, and if you are not ecing there's quite a range. having a laid back attitude is important. i know a few boys around 5 and 6 that are in a laxative cycle and holding their poop, which was enough to scare me into being cool and making no comments.

my first boy daytime trained after four. second boy wanted to train the same time and i was not up for it and trained around 2 anyway. ruby will train anytime soon since it is already getting too darned hot and she's aware of the whole process. since i have only one toilet this should be interesting. at least she is young enough to possibly accept the potty in the van so i don't have to make extra bathroom trips when i'm out. i've also been spoiled with the boys being able to hide behind a tree. boys train differently since the orfices are obviously different, and learn two different positions. i had better luck with clay sitting on a bjorn seat on the toilet for any output. girls just know squatting gets something done.

#26 ·
Hi mamas! I'm a lurker and post occasionally. My DS is 17 months, born 11/12/02. I love hearing what all the babies/tots are up to!

Tyson was such a huge baby and is now a petite little guy! I'll stop worrying too, he's been gaining so much slower lately and is right around 22-23# and 30 inches. People comment on such a little baby walking whereever we go! The funny thing is he was a later walker, 15 months.

We are in the midst of molars as well, I also saw two eye teeth through this morning, the poor kid can't get a break, well he's almost done at least.

He is still nursing a ton (8-10x/day) and loves our family bed (DH and I do too!) I am amazed at you mamas about to have another baby...DS seems like such a baby to me I can't imagine another one yet! More power too ya! I'm thinking another year or so on that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.