Good TV recommendations. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My DD is almost 26 mos and watches some TV. I need some new ideas for her.

These were her faves: Pingu (when she was a baby) and the wonder pets

These are currently her faves: Caillou, Diego, Kipper, Backyardigans and some of Barney.

She doesn't care for: Thomas, Dora (sometimes she watches it)

She (We) don't like : The care bears, anything with monsters, ghosts or scary creatures.

We want : educational, wholesome, entertaining and simple shows. More like Caillou.

Any recommendations? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 07-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My kids like Pocoyo.  They watch it on youtube, and an episode is about 7 minutes long.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 25 Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Sounds like you may be on netflix.  My son's favorite right now is pink dinky doo ( it's a pbs show) also you can find sesame street, world world, sid the science kid, yo gabba gabba, blues clues on their streaming video

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#4 of 25 Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 PM

DD is only allowed to watch PBS.  She doesn't care for Sesame Street (?!) but loves Super Why and The Cat in the Hat.

#5 of 25 Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM

Signing Time and/or Baby Signing Time--they teach ASL. And DD loves Word World!

#6 of 25 Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 PM

The miyazaki movies are amazing- My Neighbor Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Kiki's delivery service are all ages

Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Princess Miyazaki, and Nausicaa could be scary for yours- monsters and such- but still great movies

#7 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 AM

DD loves Baby Signing Time but they aren't cheap. She also likes watching videos of herself from when she was teeny tiny. She likes hearing our voices talk to her. We've recently begun to watch Sesame Street (WAY too hot outside) but it kind of goes over her head and makes her a little zombie. I think it just goes too fast and is somewhat chaotic.

So we have hit Netflix's kid friendly nature documentaries. Stuff like Microcosmos and this Disney Ocean's thingamabob. I just make sure there are not polar bears killing seals and sea lions out there fighting it to the death ... some of them can be brutal so DH and I pre-screen. March of the penguins is good, too.

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#8 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 05:20 AM

We watch Nick Jr. - no commercials! - that time is filled with puzzles, rhyming, etc. DS's favorite shows are anything with music, like Jack's Big Music Show and Fresh Beat Band. and he likes Olivia. (he's 20 months BTW)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#9 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM

My 2 year old DD loves Dinosaur Train and we stream them from Netflix. Dinosaur train is wonderful, she always surprises people with her dino vocab, and she does a great job of retelling the stories. Wonder Pets and Sesame Street are the second and third runners up. Word World and Super Why she has seen once or twice at grandparents but enjoyed. 

#10 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM

The only thing my LO watches at this point is Mr Rogers. He is a big fan, we don't watch it often so I'm not sure how he would like it if it was a more regular thing.

He likes the part with the little trolley the best. I like when he shows how things are made (like zippers etc). Everyone thinks it's weird that we watch that, but I'll put it out there just in case it appeals to you and your LO.

:
#11 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM

DS is crazy (a little too crazy) for Charlie & Lola episodes on youtube. And I really like watching them too!

I have a toddler! 7/27/09
#12 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Pardon my ignorance but Nick Jr. - is it strictly cable? We have a dish but we don't get it - I don't think.

Where do we watch Mr. Rogers?

And she didn't much care for Sesame St., Yo Gabba Gabba or Blue's clues.

Where can I get Baby singing time?

Thank you guys - so much.

I will check the youtube recs too. I try not to show things on the computer though (and hate the juggling I have to do to put youtube on T.V.) but I will try :-)

#13 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 PM

If you have access to it, try Little Bear. Sweet, slow-paced stories. It was what I loved best for my older dd.

#14 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Where can I see "Little bear"?

#15 of 25 Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 AM

there are some little bear episodes on youtube but there are also hacked/spoof versions.  i was going to order a dvd from amazon, it seemed like they were extrememly cheap (like <10$) last time i looked.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#16 of 25 Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

my 18-month son loves "the wiggles", "between the lions" and "signing time'.  He asks for them every day.

#17 of 25 Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you but I am getting majorly confused - where can i access these shows please? Can you add the info alongside please guys?

#18 of 25 Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Mr Rogers

http://pbskids.org/rogers/videos/index.html

We watch it on our computer screen which doubles as out tv.

Hope the link works if not, google Mr Rogers and it should be the first one up (pbskids.org)

:
#19 of 25 Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Sprout TV - the wiggles

PBS - behind the lions

DVD - Signing time

#20 of 25 Old 07-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

Where can I see "Little bear"?

Sorry!

We watch Little Bear on cable - Comcast/Xfinity has some free episodes on demand. You can also rent dvds from Netflix, and I just bought two dvds from Half.com for about $5 each.

And yes, looks like there are several episodes on YouTube so you could see if your LO liked it.

#21 of 25 Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM

My 2 yo loves Dinosaur Train, Word World, and Curious George. They are all on PBS and Netflix, and we have some on DVD. I got Curious George and Word World DVDs at Wal-Mart with the $5 movies.

He also loves the Toy Story movies and Finding Nemo smile.gif

#22 of 25 Old 07-30-2011, 07:09 AM

I was going to suggest Blue's Clues and Yo Gabba Gabba, but your little one isn't a fan; I kind of like them though! I like the Yo Gabba Gabba because she stands up and dances to it, not just sitting mesmerized in her chair.

My little one also likes to watch the Dog Whisperer, or any show with dogs barking, cats meowing, etc.

We have the Dish (we love it, no more evil Comcast), just the basic cheapo package, and you can watch the Nick Jr. shows if you go to the main menu, select 'TV Shows', then 'Browse by Network', 'Nick Jr'., or something to that effect. We also watch them with the Netflix streaming which is pretty cool too. I believe Little Bear is on the Dish on Demand as well, my older SD always liked that one.

Will be looking for the Mr. Rogers now, that was my favorite as a kid. Not that I want her watching more tv than she does now.dizzy.gifOh well, so much for my no tv plan.....

#23 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 01:43 PM

We've been loving "Kipper" on netflix, decent plot line, nice simple animation and endearing characters.  Even british accents!  :)

#24 of 25 Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 PM

My son watches Netflix streaming and likes several of the same shows as your child:  Backyardigans, Kipper, Dinosaur Train, Caillou.  He just this week started watching the Dora and Diego shows and they were better than I was expecting.  I saw someone else post about Charlie & Lola; we don't usually watch YouTube with DS, but while we were traveling one of his grandparents showed him that and he really liked it.

We all really liked Shaun the Sheep on Netflix (claymation comedy with no dialogue- it's fantastic!) and highly recommend it to anyone!

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

#25 of 25 Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 PM

My daughter is a huge fan of both "Kipper" and "Miffy and Friends." Both are nice, gentle, quiet shows for younger kids that don't generally contain some kind of antagonist character. They are slow-paced and easy to understand, so DD liked them from a young age. Little Bear is also okay sometimes, but I also sometimes don't like the choice of subjects. That's just me, maybe. There's also a very old show called "Old Bear Stories" which are super cute, gentle and quiet.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page